+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 14/11/14100 Posts in a week

Default KEMH - EWC. what are peoples thoughts in general?

I have had 2 appointments there and they seem fine. I haven't had a bad experience or anything and have been referred due to weight and several other reasonaly minor issues (well minor for now). My DD was born at Osbourne park and I just feel like KEMH is like one big cattle call.

I'm 31 weeks now, have a large fibroid, showing early signs of possible PE ( I had it with with DD), and had several bouts of unexplained bleeding early on, and M/C last year, and am on the heavier side. Apart from that I am in pretty good health, just gotta bring my iron back up to the outstanding levels they were earlier on. Oh and I also live about an hour away from the hospital in a regional area.

I have heard KEMH are good and all but I guess I really am feeling like a number. How has other peoples past and present experiences gone. I realise I have no other choice but to go there. The local hospital doesnt exactly have the best reputation anyway.

Ky is offline <--- Ruby, the most precious little red gem ever!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I'm going through KEMH due to "complicated maternal history" and being a diabetic.

It often feels like you are just one of a crowd, but my care so far has been exceptional.

It is annoying having to travel to appointments (it took me almost 2 hours on wednesday due to a car breaking down on the freeway - wish WA drivers would learn to merge efficiently ... grrr), parking is a pain and often I end up having to park quite a distance away but I suppose to get the level of care I am getting, it is all worth it.

Thankfully, I have managed to convince them to allow me to go to Rockingham hospital for my twice weekly ctg monitoring. I would have flatly refused to head into KEMH for that!

I find that the waiting around takes no longer than when I lived in regional NSW and saw a local OB. Often I would wait hours for my appointment with him as he had to go to emergencies. It's no worse at king eddies.

The end is in sight for me. I have finally got a caesar date of mid January so I only have to put up with this for another 5 weeks or so ...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I had my Ds at kemh in 2007 and yes i felt like a number the quicker they get baby out the quicker u can get out and the quicker they can do it all over again. for me the communication was next to none i was practically induced even though there was no need and my birth plan stated NATURAL i was only in early stages of labour i felt intimidated

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I had DS at KEMH but only because my local hospital wouldn't deliver at 34 weeks so I was transferred there for induction. I found the labour and after-care to be exceptional. I was in hospital for a week (I had pre-eclampsia and HELLP) and there was no push to get me out ASAP. The midwives and doctors were all lovely and very knowledgeable. Having a single room after birth is pretty good too!

I'll be going to KEMH for this bub too but have only just been referred by my GP so haven't experienced the "cattle call" yet. Even if I had a choice I'd prefer KEMH this time around.

Admittedly, the parking and living just over an hour away is a PITA though!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 14/11/14100 Posts in a week
    I guess I'm just a bit un-nerved by the whole in and out within 24 hours for natural birth and 3 days for c-section. I had retained placenta with my DD and developed severe peritonitis and septicemia after I was discharged at Os park and ended up on all sorts of IV antibiotics, painkillers etc And the placenta was checked, I do remember that much. I really dont think 24 hours is enough time to ensure health and safety of mother and child and think it is absolutely rediculous to transfer to another hospital afterwards.

But I am feeling a bit better hearing other peoples positive comments on KEMH.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I can't believe it's a 24 hour turn over for a natural birth!! Is that normal??

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Artful View Post
    I can't believe it's a 24 hour turn over for a natural birth!! Is that normal??
    As far as I'm aware, that's the health dept benchmark for maternity discharges, though it is rarely enforced for first time mums.

However, Lw1981, that's only for uncomplicated pregnancies where mum and bub are fine after birth and there are no issues. If there's even a hint of something there's no pressure for you to be discharged (or at least there shouldn't be).

I've heard positive things from people who've birthed at KEMH and that although it is busy, the care is fantastic.

Could you discuss your concerns with a midwife at your next appointment?