+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Cabbage leaves :(

I am on day 2 since bubs birth and my milk has come in with a vengeance! I am so so engorged and it is hurting so bad I leak constantly.

I want to know, do cabbage leaves work to help decrease supply? Right now there is absolutely no way my baby is going to be getting any hind milk whatsoever because there is no way I am going to express ff the foremolk because there is just too much.

Please please help. I am already block feeding and taking bub off during let down etc, but it is so painful

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Please dont try reduce supply yet, I know it is sooooo painful, but in a few days it will adjust. Only express small amounts before each feed or you will increase supply (remember supply v demand). Get some good breast pads and let them leak, it wont take long to settle down onces bub starts feeding properly. Good luck.

Sent from my LG-P500 using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Bubs is premmie. I have always suffered with an oversupply each baby it seems to just get worse. All the midwives here cannot believe how early my milk has come in its so bad. I have had 3 hot showers today to try and ease them. Baby can't latch without me expressing 10 mins before hand!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Cabbage leaves won't reduce your supply, we actually don't use them in the hospital that I work in, they can go soggy and macerate your nipples.
    You're much better off getting a big bowl of iced water and 4 or 5 flannels. Dip the flannels in the iced water and wrap them around your breasts for 10-15 minutes. Then get on the pump until you're comfortable
    I find that the once of expression and emptying the breasts reduces the engorgement making attachment easier. Don't use the pump too often as this will only increase your supply. Just get yourself comfy, good luck

Bfp!!! Little bug due 25/6/12

5. The Following User Says Thank You to The sooper nanny For This Useful Post:

hopefully2  (09-12-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by The sooper nanny View Post
    Cabbage leaves won't reduce your supply, we actually don't use them in the hospital that I work in, they can go soggy and macerate your nipples.
    You're much better off getting a big bowl of iced water and 4 or 5 flannels. Dip the flannels in the iced water and wrap them around your breasts for 10-15 minutes. Then get on the pump until you're comfortable
    I find that the once of expression and emptying the breasts reduces the engorgement making attachment easier. Don't use the pump too often as this will only increase your supply. Just get yourself comfy, good luck

Thank you so much! I will do this for sure. Can't believe how bad this is

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by UmmInayah View Post
    Thank you so much! I will do this for sure. Can't believe how bad this is
    You're very welcome! That's what I do for all of my women with engorgement it really helps. The engorgement is actually swelling so the cold reduces the swelling making it easier to get the milk out. How prem is your bubs? A nipple shield may also help in the short term

Thanks
    Reviews
    You're very welcome! That's what I do for all of my women with engorgement it really helps. The engorgement is actually swelling so the cold reduces the swelling making it easier to get the milk out. How prem is your bubs? A nipple shield may also help in the short term

He's 35 weeks. So not too prem. but he has been having hourly to two hourly feeds since birth. Think this has contributed to my milk coming in now. He's currently having a 3 hour sleep and I am not waking him to feed him. Giving my boobs a rest lol.

I never considered engorgement as swelling, but it makes sense to use cold. Thank you. You've no idea how much of a relief it is to know there actually is something I can do. Want to avoid mastitis!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Glad to help

Thanks
    Reviews
    You've already been given really good advice! I just wanted to say that at 35 weeks having full bf's is AWESOME!!! It will help so much in helping you guys get home speaking from experience here

Thanks
    Reviews
    Glad to help

So I got a pump and expressed to feel comfy - 40mls each side..

Do I continue with the cold compress?