+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default High reading level for kindergarten

My son is just finishing kindergarten and I got his report yesterday. I was quite surprised to see that although his reading level is Silver 23 (average was stated as being '9') and he 'consistently' produced neat and accurate work and finished tasks, the comments concentrated on his 'not listening attentively' and 'not managing his impulsiveness' among other things. He is a normal 6 year old boy who is high spirited, and I heard from another mum that he and his friends had been kept in at lunchtime for playing roughly but his teacher never mentioned any of this to me so it can't have been all that bad.
    His reading is good and his writing is exceptionally neat for his age and shows other signs of being very bright (I don't think he is gifted), yet not once during the year or in his report has anyone remarked on this to me. Is it just me or is that a little strange? Or is reading at that level at his age quite common? It has occurred to me that he may find his classwork a little slow and that is why he is not paying attention (I remember this being the case when I was in primary school). I'm not sure what to make of this, maybe someone who has more experience can give me some feedback? I don't mind if teachers are pointing out where he can improve, but I would like some praise given where it is due, not just focusing on the negative.
    I do intend on bringing this up with his new teacher next year.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I agree completely with you, I am a preschool teacher and we too have to write reports, although not the same, I always give both praise where needed and working towards/encouragement in areas they may not be so strong in, and like you said if we have any concerns or issues we talk to parents through out the year not just in the reports,
    I would definately be bringing it up, the only thing I can think of is that perhaps this teacher had so many reports to do they didnt have time to give credit where due, or perhaps they were never taught how to do them properly, we were taught 2 positives for every negative remark?
    but voice your concerns let them know you want to be consulted if they are in any way concerned about your sons behaviour or anything for that matter, and good job to your son on reading so well what a great achievement

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I agree. I would have a quick chat to the new teacher next year regarding his behaviour.

With the report, yes it really should have had focused on the positives but maybe it's just that teacher.

The reading level is good for finishing Kindergarten but there was probably a number of kids at a similar level. DD2 finished Kindergarten at a level 30 and her twin was level 8. DD2 wasn't the only one that was reading at a higher level. In Year 1 there was about 5 of them from her class that had to get their home reader books from one of the higher classes. (there was 3 classes so not sure how many overall) And DD3 wasn't struggling as much as a couple of other kids. With kids anywhere in between as well.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Teacher and school are one side. On the other side, we parents can teach kids at home to enrich their strongests. DD has been doing extra online reading on beestar. I think it is a well-and easy used program. You guys can have a try. I like the simple presentation: text has nice simple fonts, the pictures and graphs are to the point not distracting and the stories are interesting. The honor roll, ranking, award programs are effective. DD always can't wait to do the exercises.
    Lisa

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi
    Being a Kindergarten teacher myself, I can see both sides!!! I was always taught when writing reports to focus on positive achievements and suggest an area to work towards for example - ' XXXX has developed great number skills and is working towards counting backwards independently" - in teacher language I would take this as this is an area that she isn't particularly great at, but maybe some extra support would be ok.

The not managing his impulsiveness comment would not have got through my supervisor's check if I had commented like that!
    I would take that as he possibly does things without thinking of the consequence first - which alot of young children do - but that is why teachers, like myself, sit down and chat about it rather than keep them in at lunchtime. I had only one child in detention this year and that was because he put his hands around another child's neck and squeezed.

On the reading level sides of things, I'm not sure about the "silver" level, but I know the Department of Education say a child at the end of Kindergarten should be reading a level 6 - that's a benchmark level - maybe you could ask if that is the same leveling system they use? Again, some kids aren't there by the end but every child is different!

Hope this helps and I haven't rambled on!!
    Oh, and maybe you could ask next years teacher to keep you informed as you would like to know how he is going?

Thanks
    Reviews
    the big issue i see, is that the report was a surprise! imo, reports should simply be a written confirmation of what you already know...esp in the lower primary years.

he sounds a bit like my boy (now about to enter year 2). very bright but also very active. DS finished prep on "over level 30" and we had had issues with behaviour (mild...talking in class, running in walking areas, not listening) but mainly tracked to boredom. Together with his teacher, we made sure he had more challenging work and he then thrived. We spoke to him about class participation etc and that it was important to sit and listen at group time even if he already knew what they were teaching.

The great news is...he thrived in year 1!!! It is more academic and it is easier for the teacher to make sure the diff levels are all challenged. He didn't want to go back after prep (as he knew everything lol) but this year he is raring to go back into year 2 and hopes the work is harder.

Def talk to his teacher (maybe in week 2, ask for a time to meet if your school does not have a "know your teacher" meeting already scheduled) and let him/her know you want to make sure he is challenged and that if bored he can get restless. Encourage her to let you know how things are going...does the school have a diary system? could she put in a little note weekly?

Thanks
    Reviews
    I think it just comes down to the individual teacher as to how much communication goes on and also the parents and how often the teacher gets a chance to speak to them. At my kids school the teachers use parent night to inform parents of how their kids are doing and during the year I know my daughters teacher would chat to me as to how she was doing in class during the morning drop off time (parents stay for 20 mins with our kids in the morn to read or play games) but as for when they had to be disiplined then I was always told during pick up time ,but then again my childs class had 3-4 teachers being pp/1 so it was a bit easier for them to catch up with all of the parents to let them know what is going on. I agree with the PP that if the info is not coming to you then just ask the teacher reguarly. Also if your child is in kindy then you should be able to spend the day in the class with him to see how he is going, at my kids school parents can come along and help in the class up to pre primary which my dh did when he found dd was getting a bit disruptive and it was just because she was bored with the work so we were able to work out how to deal with then.
    Last edited by lulu 2; 02-01-2012 at 08:25.