+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Salads!

Can someone please explain to me what counts as a pre-prepared salad and what doesn't?!

I want to do a coleslaw for a BBQ tonight and was going to get the pre-shredded mix and add my own dressing as I'm too lazy to chop it myself but is this ok?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Pre pared salad is the salad in a bag or bowl ect. I had it the other day I made sure it was really fresh and washed it well but I won't be eating again as I felt guilty afterwards. I'm not sure if the pasta salad in a bowl Is any better maybe someone else can answer that

Thanks
    Reviews
    Its tricky isnt it!!
    Avoid pre prepared salads that already have the dressing applied.
    As far as I know ones that you add the dressing to yourself are fine because you can add it right before you eat it so it isnt sitting out breeding bacteria etc.
    Ive made my own coleslaw, but I avoid eating anyones elses at bbq's because you cant garantee when the dressing was put on, if in major doubt tho, stay clear!

Hope this helps!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by BBoo View Post
    Can someone please explain to me what counts as a pre-prepared salad and what doesn't?!

I want to do a coleslaw for a BBQ tonight and was going to get the pre-shredded mix and add my own dressing as I'm too lazy to chop it myself but is this ok?
    Unless you can wash the pre shredded stuff you can't be confident it is clean. I would just chop up the cabbage, celery and carrot myself, at least then you can be sure it is washed.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I would imagine the pre shredded is fine, so long as it doesn't already have the dressing on it (like the potato and pasta salads in woolies) that way you can wash the salad before adding your own dressing.