+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default I have no idea why my son does this!!!!

My DS1 is 3 and has been toilet trained for a year but in the last couple of weeks he has pee'd on our loungeroom floor twice, once on a stuffed toy at MIL's place and then today he pee'd on two pillows we had in the loungeroom.

The first time I thought ok, must have been an accident but now that it has happened this many times, I am starting to wonder. I should add that his jocks and pants are never wet so he actually pulls his pants down to do it. Also it looks as tho he actually aimed for the stuffed toy and pillows as there was no wee on the floor.

When I ask him why he has done it, he says 'i dont have to go to the toilet'. I know it will be just a phase but it is very frustrating and I have no idea how to deal with it until he is over it.

Any advice would be great!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I don't pretend to know about 3 year-olds - the only 3 year-old I have much contact with is my nephew - but this would concern me too. It does seem odd that after a year of being toilet-trained he would suddenly start doing this. It does seem odd that he is doing it onto the cushion or teddy bear... It also seems odd he says 'I don't need to go to the toilet' when you ask him about it. It implies he has perfect control over what he is doing and thus is acting out in some way.

How do you manage the toilet training? Do you ask him if he wants to go to the toilet or does he tell you? Not to alarm you, but as much as it could just be a phase, I would be concerned myself if it was my son and he suddenly started doing this. Still, it would depend and if you feel it's just a pahse and nothing to worry about then you follow your gut. If not, I'd see a child psychologist TBH, just to be on the safe side.

Thanks
    Reviews
    It's not odd at all - just a PITA phase. I remember having this conversation with some mums a few months back, when my 4yo daughter had a week of just weeing wherever she pleased. Grr. She just didn't care - there was no problem, she was just being lazy and, well, naughty. I was the understanding and nice mum he first few days - you know 'oh dear' 'don't worry accidents happen', in the end I put on my cross words voice and said if she did it again she wouldn't get to do something (or miss a treat or something). It stopped. So yeah I was telling some friends and they all said oh yeah so did their cheeky kids!

So I'd just say he can't be fanged stopping and going to toilet. I doubt he needs to see a therapist over it.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hannahly For This Useful Post:

Little Boys Blue  (09-12-2011),Mod-Myztik  (09-12-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Give a warning. My son did this when he was 3 too. Did it a few times and thay was that. Yes its a complete PITA but we spoke about what the toilet was for. I gave him permission to pee outside if he wanted to but just not in the house. No accidents since

Sent from my GT-I9000T using BubHub

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Myztiks#1Fan For This Useful Post:

Little Boys Blue  (09-12-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Unfortunately I have given him warnings, explanations, timeouts and taken away privlidges after the first time but yet he still does it . He also has always had permission to pee outside too.

I'm starting to think that maybe it might have something to do with his younger brother. He is 1 and has a fair bit of no nappy time and has on occasion had an accident. Of course I don't get angry or anything because he is still a baby so maybe DS1 may be seeing that and thinks it's ok? Or maybe it's just laziness or attention seeking behaviour? Who knows! I wish I was a bloody mindreader sometimes!

I have told him that if he continues to pee anywhere he's not supposed to I will have to put him in a nappy like a baby and have constantly been asking him if he needs to go to the toilet. Seems to have done the trick today so hopefully it might work permanently

Thank you all for your advice, I'm glad to see that it seems to be just a normal (but super frustrating) part of childhood.

Thanks
    Reviews
    5 year old DSD wets her knickers sometimes still. I really think it's just laziness because shes to busy watching a movie/playing/coloring in and she doesn't want to stop what she's doing, its so frustrating!!

sent from my iPhone, so apologies for the typos!