+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RoarsomeMum is offline Right to speak, responsibility to listen..
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default When did you understand the ADULT responsibility of your actions?

Loads of talk about how kids/teens are more capable then science say's they are..

At what age did you understand (REALLY UNDERSTAND ON AN ADULT LEVEL) the responsibilities of your actions..

I was wise and mature in my youth, but I think I played it really.. at 35, I think I was in my mid 20's before I truly understood the magnitude of my decisions and how they contributed to the person I am..

what age were you? Does the age you were make you expect others to meet that goal at the same time?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    To answer quickly, 27. Took me a while...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Yep, probably 23 or so. I don't understand why people expect children and teens to be fully matured when our brain isn't even nearly finished developing at those ages.

I admit at 28 years old I still have a lot to learn about life.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Yeah I would agree with mid 20's. I was a mum, yet still made some silly decisions. Had I been more mature I wonder what the outcome would have been.

Definitely don't think teenagers are the same as adults. Especially when it comes to decision making and impulse control.

Witwicky is offline A closed mouth gathers no foot.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Probably early twenties (which wasn't all that long ago). Definitely not in my teens, I know that much.

I understand that everyone matures and develops differently, so I don't agree with people stating that 'Such and such is 17, he should know better' etc.

I used to work with people who had broken the law - a field where their decision making skills and understanding of responsibility were constantly displayed. I learnt quickly that some people just don't seem to ever learn the responsibility of their actions. Some adults can be middle aged and still not fully comprehend the extent of how their behaviour affects others (and themselves) and clearly lack responsibility for their actions.

Young men had the least understanding in my opinion, but it doesn't mean they were not remorseful. Just immature (I say this in a developmental manner, not as an insult).

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm 23 and I'm really getting it now.. Even say a year or two ago I was pretty good but I wasn't there yet. I have made a LOt of massive mistakes due to lack of insight and being immature lol.. Eg I ran up a credit card when I was 19 and had no money. Still paying the price now!! Oh yeah and let's not forget how I thought it was gonna be a breeze having a baby and I didn't need much money or a plan because kids just go with the flow and they don't cost that much anyway.. Mmhmm..

Sent from my BlackBerry 9100 using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Reviews
    I was a mature teenager - I'm a Capricorn and they say we get younger as we get older which is very true! I had a good understanding of consequences and didn't take too many stupid risks and was always the 'sensible' one in my group of friends.

Having said that though, I don't think I realised quite how far reaching consequences could be, if you know what I mean. For example, I didn't do drugs because I was aware of the immediate dangers to my health & how much trouble I would get in if I was caught etc... but I wouldn't have thought about the future consequences - the impact a drug conviction could have on my chances for employment later in life, or trying to explain it to my children etc etc.

I would say I had an understanding that my choices and actions would impact my life permanently some time in my early 20s and not until I had my son at 28 did I realise that my choices and actions (and their consequences) weren't just about me but my children as well.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Mid 20's. But I still have a fair way to go in some aspects.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I left home at 17 matured and learnt a lot in a hurry, got married at 19, was divorced by 24 and THEN did all the stupid things in life , and didn't settle/mature 'til about 28

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I think for me, it happened at around 16 or 17.

Prior to then I usually made responsible decisions, but I think I did it more out of fear of getting in trouble than because I truly wanted to. I still made (and continue to make) the occasional wrong choice.

At 16 I had been employed for 2 years, could see far enough into my future to be making extra contributions to my superannuation every week (of my own accord - no one told me to), and decided not to get my drivers licence because I was too aware of what could potentially go wrong.

I was exposed to 3 pretty intense examples of what the potential ramifications of poor choices could be, so I think that played a huge role in how quickly I grew up.

Even now (mid 20s) I am often told how 'boring' I am for being so sensible. It probably explains why all of my close friends have always been about 10 years older than me.

I don't have kids yet, but I do have a 'child fund' which currently contains the required $$ for all of our fixed costs for just under 2 years, which will allow me to be a SAHM exclusively for at least the first 2 years of our child's life.

I am probably guilty of assuming that everyone 'gets there' at around the same rate I did. I know cognitively that there is a massive variance in how long it takes an individual to mature, but it is difficult to not draw on your own experiences.