+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Is your baby in a 'set' routine?

Just out of curiosity..........Is your baby in a "set" routine or do you just let them sleep when they are tired, eat when they are hungry and let them call the shots?

Is bath time, playtime or whatever it is you do with them the same time every day etc??

Witwicky is offline A closed mouth gathers no foot.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Nope, no set routine here. I follow his lead, and I did the same with his older brother. I don't believe in routines for babies.

Witwicky is offline A closed mouth gathers no foot.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Are you watching the circle at the moment? Haha

(There was a segment on baby routines the same time you posted this).
    Last edited by Witwicky; 09-12-2011 at 10:46.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 5/2/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 31/10/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 24/10/14Busiest Member of the Week
    No routine here. It just wouldn't work for us. We are a very go with the flow family.

Thanks
    Reviews
    We never enforced a routine for DD, but some things tended to be the same every day.

We always woke her at the same time each morning. DH's alarm goes at 6am, and so he wakes DD then and takes her for a shower. At the weekends we let her sleep in, and she normally wakes around 6.30-7am.

Her feeds were always roughly timed, depending on her age. When she was a newborn we would set an alarm and wake her for food in the night. (She was one of these very strange babies that would just cheerfully not eat unless you offered it to her - she never cried for food).

We have put her to bed at the same time (around 5pm) since she was 4 weeks old (she is now coming up 18mths). If we are on holiday, or take her out to dinner, then she goes to bed later on those days.

Now that she's c.18mths, we still wake her at 6am, but she has 3 'food' meals a day (as opposed to all the milk meals a little baby has), and they tend to be somewhere around 7.30-8am, 12pm, and then dinner at 4.30pm.

We have always put her down for a nap when she's tired, but never enforced a time for that. Sometimes she sleeps in the car, and if we're home then she might have a nap in the morning. We've never not gone somewhere/ done something because it's nap time, so we just tend to take each day as it comes.

That works for us, and she's a pretty easy-going baby. I have friends who have been very strict with routines, and that works for them.

I think it only 'doesn't work' if you have a baby that really needs/ wants a routine and is generally unsettled without one, OR if you have a baby that DOESN'T need/ want one, and you're driving yourself crazy trying to make them follow one.

So - a bit of a long answer there! No real set routine, but we just work around DD and what things we're doing that day.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Hi Loco,

Connor is 8mths old and yes he is in a good routine.
    He wakes at 6am (I opt to have him wake this early because I'm going back to work next year so that's the time we will all be up and getting ready)
    When he wakes; I change him, He has a bottle as soon as he wakes then floor time then solids, more playtime. We go to playgroup on Mondays and Thursday mornings.
    At 9.30 he is goes to bed for his morning sleep. Even if we are out he will happily sleep in his pram, he knows his sleeptime and that's that.
    He will sleep for 1.5-2hrs.
    He wakes, has bottle, plays, has his solids, plays.
    He will then go back to bed for his afternoon sleep at about 2pm, will sleep 1.5-2hrs. I ensure he is awake by 4pm so he will be ready to go to bed between 6.30-7pm.
    Has bottle, plays, afternoon tea, we usually spend time outside in the afternoon/evening so he will go in his jolly jumper.
    5.45 I will give him his solids, he will have a bath, then bottle then bed.
    At his age he should be up 3-4hrs at a time so I work with that. If he desires a bottle other than his standard throughout the day I will give it to him.

Thanks
    Reviews
    When DD was a young bubby, we never bothered with routine. I just followed her lead.....she slept as long as she wanted, when she wanted and wear she wanted then in between sleeps would be boobie time and nappy changes and then as she got older we would introduce play time etc.

Bath time would happen when I felt like doing it or if she needed to be calmed (if she was wind pain or teeething)

I think she was around 7 or 8 months old before we slowly started trying to implement a "routine" of sorts, and really it was more just for food as this was when we introduced solids...then as she started dropping both her day sleeps we then set routine for her.

Thanks
    Reviews
    oh forgot to add, I didn't get a routine going until bub was about 5mths old, he actually started getting into a routine on his own so it was quite easy to follow through. And ds1 was the same.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Routine girl here! I've had DS on a routine since he was 3 months old. From 3 months old he'd be in bed by 7pm & he wakes up between 7-8am. He'll have his breakfast at 7:30 or 8am then his solids an hour after his milk feed. He takes a nap every 2 hours during the day so that's 3 naps a day. I have no routine for his naps, I just put him to bed when he gets grizzly & starts rubbing his eyes so I look out for this & wait for it every 2 hours.
    Routines work for us and little man seems happy with it as well. If we put him out of his routine eg. We're out to dinner & it's passed 7pm, he starts to get really edgy.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I always worked around my son's routine from the minute he was born. It's harder this way but I personally believe it's the right way. So no, I didn't enforce any kind of routine on him, but he fell into his own.

In fact, I went to every effort to make sure I didn't miss the signs of tiredness as a young baby and I made sure I got him down to sleep the minute he showed tired signs. It's utterly cruel to keep a baby awake when they're sleepy, even if it's late afternoon. The more sleep bubs get the better sleepers they become later.

As for day naps, this varies a little now that he is 15 months - normally 2 good long day naps and to bed at 6.30pm til 6-6.30am, but sometimes he may only have one nap now. I just play it by ear and what he wants.