+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default How to do both breastfeeding and bottle feeding?

My bub is nearly 6 months. So far he's been ebf. I want to introduce bottle feeding as well. How do I do this, because I can't get him to drink out of the bottle. What formula should I try. The one I bought he doesn't take. All the formula are in big cans and expensive. It's not like I can give him little samples of each.
    Sent from my HTC Legend using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Its not always possible. Sorry if this is not good news for you! I also intended to combine feed as I did easily with my son from 6 months.. But my daughter on the other hand.. No way no how. I was actually hoping to work a bit by now but as it is I can't leave her for even an hour as she is such a boob baby at almost six months. I have tried every teat, formula, expressed milk, cup feeding, all sorts of suggested tips! Good luck though! Hopefully your little one is less stubborn

Sent from my BlackBerry 9100 using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Ive been blessed with my 3mth old - we've had to comp feed for the past 2 months and he took a bottle (all diff types and teats too!) without any fuss at all, very lucky considering we didn't have a choice! So I have no advice there, but....

You can actually buy sample/single serves of many formula types. They come in a single satchel, or even a box of 4-6 satchels which are ideal for the nappy bag anyway.

Do you live near a Chemist Warehouse? I'm sure other places may have them too, but they have a good range to try. Good luck!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks. I did find some sample packs at chemist warehouse. However still struggling to give him a bottle. He refuses to take it. Any ideas?

Sent from my HTC Legend using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Have you tried a sippy cup? My son only took a bottle twice when he was very young. Later when we tried again so I could work a little, he didn't know what to do with it! He kept chewing on the teet. We have found the best cups to be the take and toss ones. All the fancy ones I bought were a waste of money. He took a while to get the hang of the cup with water in it but as soon as he has expressed breast milk in it he learnt very quickly lol. After that he drank water and formula no problems out of it. We just used the little packs of ready made formula and he drinks it at room temp. Maybe try a cup and try with ebm first? Good luck. You may also find he will take it from someone else if you are not there. Maybe you could do a trial short outing and see if he takes the formula while you are out from someone else.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Instead of you giving him a bottle try getting someone else to do it.. As bub can smell your milk then he has no need to want a bottle..
    DD3 was the same but I needed to introduce formula as I was dry by the arvo.. Took a good week but DH persisted and finally she took the bottle from him..
    Goodluck

Sent from my iPhone using Bub Hub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Have you tried getting someone else to give him the bottle while you are not there? If you're there he's just going to want to BF. When my DD went off bottles of EBM I hid in the spare room one day when she woke from her nap, so she thought I wasn't there at all. She took it fine then.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My son took a while to get the hang of formula and bottles we started out using some expressed milk mixed with the formula to "sweeten" it up and bit and gradually reduced thee amount until he would take just plain formula.

We also found that at first he wouldn't take a bottle when I was around so my partner or anyone around had to feed him. Once he was used to it I was able to feed him. Now my boy will drink anything from any bottle...