1 100.00%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Adelaide Private Hospitals - Burnside or Calvary

Hi all,

I've been doing some googling on reviews of the two and haven't found anything recent so was hoping to get some ideas on people's experiences at either of these hospitals.

I read that Burnside doesn't have a bath in their labour room which I think I would want but no idea if I"d actually end up using it!

Our chosen OB only delivers at these two.

Also any reviews on the ante-natal classes would be great!

Thanks

Thanks
    Reviews
    Sorry all I accidently made the poll public and don't know how to change it!

Mod-SammiAnn is offline Administrator
    Winner 2010- The Most Helpful Member Award

Winner 2010- Member You'd Most Like To Meet IRL Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Changed to private.

Sam

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Mod-SammiAnn For This Useful Post:

BBoo  (08-12-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by SammiAnn View Post
    Changed to private.

Sam
    Thank you!

6. The Following User Says Thank You to BBoo For This Useful Post:

Mod-SammiAnn  (08-12-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Have you considered Ashford? I had an good time - 4 years ago now. Every place you will get mixed reviews. Ashford do have a bath, I think water births are out though? Not sure. No guarantee of getting that room though. Have a tour of everywhere, THe Ashford website is pretty carp, doesn't do it justice. I loved going to the Hilton. Better continuity of care as the midwives work 12hour shifts and is much 'nicer' environment, THe midwives are also less busy. I found the hotel a good transition to going home as I could be independent but call for advice when required. Good luck.

ETA: Sorry just read that your OB only delivers at calvary or burnside. Which one do they use mainly? what is closest to their rooms? The OB we chose only delivered at Ashford. I wanted an OB that would be either at his rooms or if in another delivery just down the hall if I needed him. Far easier for him to pop in than having to drive accross town.
    Last edited by Hullabalu; 10-12-2011 at 08:32.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Hullabalu For This Useful Post:

BBoo  (10-12-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by luey View Post
    Have you considered Ashford? I had an good time - 4 years ago now. Every place you will get mixed reviews. Ashford do have a bath, I think water births are out though? Not sure. No guarantee of getting that room though. Have a tour of everywhere, THe Ashford website is pretty carp, doesn't do it justice. I loved going to the Hilton. Better continuity of care as the midwives work 12hour shifts and is much 'nicer' environment, THe midwives are also less busy. I found the hotel a good transition to going home as I could be independent but call for advice when required. Good luck.

ETA: Sorry just read that your OB only delivers at calvary or burnside. Which one do they use mainly? what is closest to their rooms? The OB we chose only delivered at Ashford. I wanted an OB that would be either at his rooms or if in another delivery just down the hall if I needed him. Far easier for him to pop in than having to drive accross town.
    Thanks Luey,

Ashford would be closer and I've heard great things but we really want the OB. He's in Nth Adel so Calvary is nearer, we are planning on asking for their recommendations as well. I didn't really think of that as was assuming (perhaps ignorantly!) they'd just be there!

Thanks
    Reviews
    WE had Stephen Lane and I was very happy with him, we will go back to him. Not sure how far along you are and if you want to change OB's. Definately have a look at him - Ashford maternity ward suggested him as I originally wanted Chris Sexton but couldn't get into him at 5 weeks. They said Stephen was very nice and good.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by luey View Post
    WE had Stephen Lane and I was very happy with him, we will go back to him. Not sure how far along you are and if you want to change OB's. Definately have a look at him - Ashford maternity ward suggested him as I originally wanted Chris Sexton but couldn't get into him at 5 weeks. They said Stephen was very nice and good.
    We are pretty set on our OB but thank you Chris Sexton was also on our short list but we've gone for Xen Xenophou. A friend had someone else but he replaced them while on leave and they couldn't stop raving about him

Thanks
    Reviews
    I don't know if this is too late to be of use to you, but I am about to have my second at Calvary. The antenatal classes are excellent and cover it all, from pregnancy physio to labour classes, baby care, breastfeeding and grandparents' classes. There are also coffee mornings after for you and baby once a fortnight with a nurse and other mums. The midwives were very supportive and gave me tips for coping with my bossy ob to try to get the delivery I wanted. This didn't happen due to foetal distress, but when I went to theatre all the nurses came over and gave me a hug before the procedure! Just lovely. Food, rooms, staff, all good. They also have a policy of screening visitors for you during and after birth.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Louisa44 View Post
    I don't know if this is too late to be of use to you, but I am about to have my second at Calvary. The antenatal classes are excellent and cover it all, from pregnancy physio to labour classes, baby care, breastfeeding and grandparents' classes. There are also coffee mornings after for you and baby once a fortnight with a nurse and other mums. The midwives were very supportive and gave me tips for coping with my bossy ob to try to get the delivery I wanted. This didn't happen due to foetal distress, but when I went to theatre all the nurses came over and gave me a hug before the procedure! Just lovely. Food, rooms, staff, all good. They also have a policy of screening visitors for you during and after birth.

Thanks Louisa..I do like the idea of screening visitors lol! We ended up deciding on Burnside but we'll definitely consider it for bubs #2 one day in the future.