+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Is it realistic to try and get away with no drugs for an induced birth?

I don't know much about inductions as I've never had one. I only hear stories from other mums at playgroup etc.

I had a baby a few years ago and it was a spontaneous labour and I chose no drugs. Because it all happened when my body was ready, I had the gradual build up of pain rather than being thrust into the agony end of labour in a short space of time (as I've heard can happen with induction).

This time it looks like the doctors will induce bub early and I still want to go drug free. But is this the 'done' thing? Am I being foolish? I'd especially like to hear from people who have been induced and not used pain relief.

Sorry if this all sounds stupid. It's been on my mind. I'm going to ask a middie at the hospy tomorrow too.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I was induced with both of mine. I had a completely drug free 2nd birth midwives were all for it too

Sent from my iPhone using Bub Hub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    4 of my 7 pregnancies were induced labours. I didn't know it at the time, but compared to my 3 spontaneous labours, the induced ones were incredibly much more painful.

I would just keep an open mind about pain relief during the labour and see how you feel at the time.

You can always change your mind and ask for pain relief should you feel you need it

Good luck

Thanks
    Reviews
    My best friend was induced and went drug free!! Such an inspiration!

She was very active and walking and moving around though..

She had a very very speedy labor (her first) but I am led to believe the middies gave her as much of the induction stuff they could for her size etc (baby brain can't think of name) and her bubba came within 3 hours total!!!!!!

I think you could totally go for it... Try not to think about the hard and fast aspect, think of it as, okay that tough one is over, nextttt!

Proudly brought to you by Mumma Puffins portable telecommunication device!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I was induced & did it drug free but it was also very quick (4.5hrs) so by the time I asked for an epi it was too late.
    I say go with the flow good luck!

Thanks
    Reviews
    it depends on the type of induction, if your body is ready it will hopefully kick into a 'natural' labour after only minimal intervention.

i had induction with the syntocinon gel and my bub was posterior and i only used gas for pain relief.

why do they want to induce bub early? my first step would be to make sure that the induction was actually neccessary.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I know many women who were in duced and had no pain relief. I was induced and had 18hr labour with nok pain relief but I had an emergency csection so didnt get the pain of pushing. What is the reason for being induced? I wouldnt recommend it personally, but I know for some of us it is nscessary. Good luck.

Sent from my LG-P500 using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    My mum was induced with my brother. He was her fourth and only one to be induced. He was after a 11 year gap between my sister and him

Mum used a small amount of gas that she used incorrectly. Ended up laughing her head of after 3 inhales and the midwife cut her off lol. It was her first experience with any pain relief with any labours. My brother was born around 2 hours after she stopped the gas.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Id recommend plenty of support and look into alternative management plans for any discomfort/ pain, but yes it is doable I've had a couple induced at 36-37 weeks (medical condition) who made it through a long labour no drugs anything is doable and if you are confident in yourself and your support team you have a very good chance

Thanks
    Reviews
    I was induced firstly with cervadil tape, followed by syntocin drip - drug free 6 hour active labour. Worst. Pain. Ever - by the time I'd asked for an epi I was 8cm, so although I'm proud of myself I don't think I'd choose to do it again drug free!