+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default *spin off* Do your family members say NO gifts for xmas??

This DRIVES ME CRAZY!!!
    My DH's family is the worst for it. They say, 'im not giving gifts this year (they say it EVERY year) so dont buy me anything'.
    I actually find it quite offensive wen they say this. I Acutually like giving/recieveing gifts at xmas. This year ive started saying, 'tough, ive already got you one'.
    Dont get me wrong i get that money is tight sometimes but im not talking $100 per person. I spend UNDER $10 on most gifts. AND i DONT expect a gift from you but IM gona give you one!!!

Another thing that really gets my goat is when family members say 'im only buying for the kids this year'. WHAT just cos im an adult that automatically means i HATE xmas and presents!! GRRRRR
    I LOVE christmas. Giving/getting gifts, speding time with family, eating WAY too much, being generally silly

OK vent over!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Our family only does kids, we have a large family and for the adults we should appreciate Xmas for the real reason to focus on time with family I don't think it's a problem I think it's a great practical idea especially as our families aren't well off so it saves alot of stress

3. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to mummykitty For This Useful Post:

Berrie  (09-12-2011),Bubbles10  (09-12-2011),MrsBeee  (08-12-2011),Sparklydreamer  (08-12-2011),twotrunks  (09-12-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    It makes sense to me.

I hate getting gifts when I haven't got something to give back. It makes me feel uncomfortable.

I also don't do anything for the adults apart from my mother. I don't have enough money to spend on all the adults.

We don't even have big families, but I just don't have enough money. Plus, I'd rather not have to think about it. Everyone is made aware that I am not getting them presents, and that I neither want nor expect anything from them.

I enjoy Christmas too - I just hate how much it costs, and also hate getting given things.

5. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to SassyMummy For This Useful Post:

Bubbles10  (09-12-2011),Gandalf  (08-12-2011),MrsBeee  (08-12-2011),mrswhitehouse  (09-12-2011),MuminMind  (08-12-2011),twotrunks  (09-12-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Yep! And I'm the instigator!

I don't really see the point of presents for adults for Christmas ... We sort of buy what we want when we want it, so most of the time the stuff we get given isnt put to good use.

Also, I hate when it gets to a stage where you are asking other adults what they want and then buying what they ask for. To me that is quite pointless. Why not just buy whatever it is you want, and let the other person buy whatever it is they want?

I don't know ... For me Christmas has never really been about presents - it's the only time of year I see my whole family together and so it is more about spending quality time with them and eating a feast

I always buy for the kids though ... Just cause they still believe in Santa and what not.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Shoopuf For This Useful Post:

me+he=3  (08-12-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    My nana has told me to not buy anything for her as she doesnt want me wasting money on her when she knows things are tight with money for me.

I am getting her movie tickets in a nice big box so its a gift she can unwrap and i will make it all pretty with ribbon too.

She certainly isnt expecting anything but i want to get her something too.

Sent from my GT-I9000T using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have said exactly that this year, especially to my mum who goes over board every year and gets too many gifts for us. It's nice to get someone something they need but we all have the things we need, and you end up giving and receiving random stuff that either never gets used or collects dust in a corner, or is chocolate and gets eaten. None of us are skinny.

MIL is always asking me what I want for xmas, and it's up to me to think of something. I don't need anything (a new car would be nice) so she's taking me shopping for baby stuff next week.

I think xmas is for kids. The decorations and gifts are great fun with kids around but its just a chore and superficial giving mediocre cheap gifts between adults.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    My parents often say not to worry about buying them gifts, though they say this for any celebration. They aren't trying to be rude, they just don't want to put me out of any money. I still buy for them anyway. My parents buy for us "big kids" still, though they do have a lot of money so they can afford to. I would understand if they were short on cash and were only able to buy for the kids. I have other family members (my aunt, uncle and grandparents) that don't have as much money so they buy for the kids only, it doesn't bother me in the slightest, I don't buy for them, but each year I will put together a collage, photobook or calander with photos of the boys through out the year together for them and some home cooked treats which they appreciate more then any material present I could buy.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thats me and my family, once you turn 18 you dont get presents. My sister is receiving MLP at the moment so pretty much has money coming out of her a** and she has a serious spending problem so loves have reasons to spend so she got everyone presents and gave them last saturday (we had a pre-christmas christmas party so everyone could be there) and everyone else felt so uncomfortable because no one got her anything.

I told everyone not to get DS anything (he has so much s**t and we dont have the room) and instead donate something to the kmart wishing tree/ their own chosen charity and just organise one day to come around and spend some time with him, we have a park behind our house so they can play or whatever. Everyone got him more s**t and ignored him the whole day = my ****ed off.

Ana Gram is offline 2008 WINNER - straight shooter award
    Winner 2008 & 2009 - Community Minded thread
    Winner 2009 - Mod Award - most passionate member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    I always ask for no presents. I have enough stuff and for me, being with my friends and family at that time is enough of a gift. Doesn't stop people buying them though.

MuminMind is offline Bubhub Award Winner - 2011- Most Helpful Member, Member I'd Most Like To Meet, Most Community Minded Thread, Best Potential Moderator and Newbie of the Year Awards
    BH Advocate - PND & AND
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by SassyMummy View Post
    It makes sense to me.

I hate getting gifts when I haven't got something to give back. It makes me feel uncomfortable.

I also don't do anything for the adults apart from my mother. I don't have enough money to spend on all the adults.

We don't even have big families, but I just don't have enough money. Plus, I'd rather not have to think about it. Everyone is made aware that I am not getting them presents, and that I neither want nor expect anything from them.

I enjoy Christmas too - I just hate how much it costs, and also hate getting given things.
    I agree with every word written.