+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Autism Diagnosis...

Hi

My son Travis aged 6 (7 in Feb) was diagnosed with Autism on Monday and I wanted to know what I should do next as my head hasnt stopped since then. All I have is the EAP letter from the paediatrician saying that he has Autism. Any help would be lovely.

Thanks Katie
    Last edited by Kayteigh; 08-12-2011 at 18:13. Reason: spelling

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    would be worth contacting the autism advisor in your state. He's past the age cut off for HCWA funding but there will be other opportunities for help.

Good luck

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi Katie
    Firstly- massive hugs
    It can be a scary time if you don't get support and education
    Autism is on a "spectrum" meaning there is a scale and some people are deeply affected and some not so much, kind of like how some people really like chocolate and some not so much, that's a really bad example but I can't think of another one at this point.
    Search "aspect" on the Internet
    They are an educational community that should have a link to "intervention" this is what they call it when you as a family learn to combine what you already know about your son, to incorporate new ways of communicating and doing things that will be supportive
    I hope this has been some help
    I teach autistic children and they are beautiful and all very different, try not to be scared,
    All the best x

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thank you for the info it has been a great help. My paediatrician to me to go to centrelink to get the medical report for him to fill out and I am unsure of which payments to apply for either Carers Payment or Carers Allowance? Travis still needs help in everyday things and I dont know if I could get both.

babalooba is offline Being a brother is better than being a superhero
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi Katie
    My 6 year old son was diagnosed 6 months ago so this is just from personal experience what happened with us (he too missed out on all the early intervention funding)
    -His doctor sent the appropriate paperwork to his school who then set up a meeting with me to discuss his IEP (Individual Education Plan) and any help he will get and needed.
    -His doctor also lodged and item 135 (I think that's what its called) which entitles him to 20 reduced cost therapy sessions of your choice (OT, speech path etc). For us we pay only $15 out of pocket per session with a really great OT. These are a once off. Through your GP you can also organise a careplan which gets you 10 reduced cost therapy sessions a year on top of the 20 once off.
    Hope this helps and best of luck