+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    somewhere between a rock and a hard place
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default What do you feed your child when they are sick and don't want to eat?

What do you feed your child when they are sick and don't want to eat ? ...
    Last edited by BH-bubhub; 03-02-2015 at 09:21.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    There's not much point in giving food if it's going to come straight back out and cause further distress. I tend to offer lots of fluids and sometimes try to bribe him with favourite foods if I'm worried but he doesn't tend to get sick for very long so we stick to bland type foods once he's feeling up to it.

You can't really force feed, I mean, how does it work? Do you threaten them? Or shove it down their throats?

Thanks
    Reviews
    DO you mean like vomity sick?

Luckily, my 2 are very rarely sick but when I was a child and vomity sick, mum used to give me plain toast and lemonade. Something to do with it being bland but the lemonade was good for replacing sugar.

somewhere between a rock and a hard place
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Last edited by swizzlestick; 23-12-2011 at 20:36.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    2yo DS has had tonsillitis a LOT in the last 12 months, so when he has that, he is understandably, not at all interested in food.

I just keep offering him soft foods - wheetbix, scrambled eggs, rice, bread, yoghurt, fruit smoothie and if he eats it, great. If he doesn't, I don't force him. I just let him drink as much milk and water as he wants and ride it out. I keep offering the soft foods until he starts to eat and then let him guide me on when to go back to normal foods.

If he had gastro, I probably wouldn't bother with food much unless he wanted it. Again, would be soft bland foods, mashed spud, rice etc to let his tummy settle.

I know when I am sick eating is an effort, so if he doesn't want to eat, I'm not going to force him because it will probably only make him feel worse and he will only get upset and that isn't good for anyone when they are sick.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Californication For This Useful Post:

Izy  (08-12-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    If they don't eat, I don't force them. Last thing I feel like doing when I'm sick sometimes is eat, so I just let it go but make sure they have lots of fluids.

FearlessLeader is offline Winner 2013 - Most Memorable Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    that sort of sick, i let hin drink as much milk as he wants, and as much of his faves as he wants. So generally bananas and sakata biscuits, sometimes he will eat some plain pasta or noodles or toast, but he mainly just wants milk.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'd offer a mixture of different types of food and let him decide what they want if they feel up to eating or not. Like toast, dry bickies/crackers, saltanas, cut fruit etx just things that can be sort of just laid out to be picked over. As well as maybe some stewed apples, custard, scrambled eggs type mushy foods if maybe their tummy is a little upset as well.

Though I'd just offer plenty of water & milk or juice if he's aren't keen on eating anything.

Hope he's feeling better soon!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by FearlessLeader View Post
    that sort of sick, i let hin drink as much milk as he wants, and as much of his faves as he wants. So generally bananas and sakata biscuits, sometimes he will eat some plain pasta or noodles or toast, but he mainly just wants milk.
    This. Pretty much whatever they feel like (within reason).

My kids love bananas, beans on toast, and pasta so I'd offer things like that. They're not big on drinking plain milk so I'd give them water or diluted juice.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    When he's got a cold he usually won't eat, but if he will I make him soups, usually broth. Otherwise whatever he will keep down. Crackers, fruit etc.