+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Any Stay At Home Mums have their little one in day care??

Hi All

I am considering putting DD-13mths into day care next year for occassional care or one day per week.

I went today to have a look at a centre and as someone who has no experience whatsoever with day care I was really impressed. The staff were lovely, friendly and helpful and welcoming. The centre was clean and bright and DD loved it and cried when we went to leave.

I feel a slight bit lazy/guilty putting her in. But I actually think it will be good for her, keep her occupied. Good for me, gives me a recharge and refresh and help me to be a better mum. My husband works long hours and then works around our big house on the weekneds and whilst he is a fabulous dad, the child rearing is really left to me. I am at the moment also very off having a second child because of this.
    It will be nice for me to have a day to get some good house work done, or catch up with someone sans child or get my hair done etc. If I were to get pregnant again, I would most definately need that day.

The other query is whether we are eligible for any Child Care Rebate as he earns very good money, and we are not usually eligible for anything.

Thanks, would love to hear your advice / situations etc.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    As for rebate - I'm not entirely sure, but I think both parents need to be working, studying or working/studying - but it would be worth giving centrelink a call to make sure.
    My boys are in care, DS1 (almost 4) goes 2 days a week, and DS2(2yrs) goes once a week increasing to twice a week for the start of next year and then they will both be going 3 days a week while I study. I guess it is a personal decision for me, I find they get a lot of good out of it, A chance to socialize, make friends and do things I am unable to do with them (there is only so many times I can do playdough/craft/dressups etc) Since going their speach has progessed much better (DS1 had a slight delay) We are now able to understand him much better and it means we avoid having to go through therapy. They can count, read, recognize shapes and colours etc. All with plenty of help from daycare. And while they are in care it gives me a chanced to catch up on anything I have to do and I really do appreciate the break.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I do, i have to or i go crazy.

CCR, you both have to be working/study/volunteering for 15+ hours a week or looking for work.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Manny View Post
    Hi All

I am considering putting DD-13mths into day care next year for occassional care or one day per week.

I went today to have a look at a centre and as someone who has no experience whatsoever with day care I was really impressed. The staff were lovely, friendly and helpful and welcoming. The centre was clean and bright and DD loved it and cried when we went to leave.

I feel a slight bit lazy/guilty putting her in. But I actually think it will be good for her, keep her occupied. Good for me, gives me a recharge and refresh and help me to be a better mum. My husband works long hours and then works around our big house on the weekneds and whilst he is a fabulous dad, the child rearing is really left to me. I am at the moment also very off having a second child because of this.
    It will be nice for me to have a day to get some good house work done, or catch up with someone sans child or get my hair done etc. If I were to get pregnant again, I would most definately need that day.

The other query is whether we are eligible for any Child Care Rebate as he earns very good money, and we are not usually eligible for anything.

Thanks, would love to hear your advice / situations etc.
    for me i would not put a 13 month old in care when i was not working however that is just me and every family / person is different and every child is different so it is a individual thing from a childcare workers perspective also there is no social reason that a child that age needs to be in care as they get enough from home with mummy but once again every family is different and everyones well being circumstances are different

as for rebates if you are a SAHM and not on paid / unpaid maternity leave or studying then no you wont receive the 50% back every 3 months or yearly and if you receive nothing from centrelink now you will more then likely end up paying full fees so it can be expensive with some centers charging up to $100 per day for a child of that age.

occasional child care centers are different in there own fee structures as well but IMPO if you were going to go the daycare route i would go for a actual center not just occasional care as they are run a little differently and quite often varying staff and they wont have the set structure of a daycare center ( as in same staff same kids etc )

do you have any mummy friends near you maybe you guys could do a baby sitting swap? say on tues you have a friends kids for 2-3 hours and on a thurs she has your kid for 2-3 hours that way you get some away time but your child is with a friend and it costs you nothing or maybe even a babysitter for a few hours on a set day each week that way they come to you and it will work out cheaper once again

Thanks
    Reviews
    My sister is on maternity leave and her older child goes to family day care 2 days a week - she gets the child care rebate even though she is not at work. She actually gets a higher rebate now than she did when she was working , I think because they are on a lower combined income, although I'm not really sure how it works!

Would be worth registering for to find out if you are eligible.
    Last edited by SpottySocks; 08-12-2011 at 15:49.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Sorry, crashing thread but I'm fairly sure SAHMs are entitled to rebate for one or two days for the sake of respite with Centrelink. I'd give them a call TBH and find out exactly what you would be entitled to

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Benji For This Useful Post:

AliG  (08-12-2011),Azurial  (08-12-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    DD1 is in daycare 2 days a week, and I get 70-something % CCB, and 100% CCR, up to 50 hours a week care. It was 100% CCB but hubbys income has increased, so we dropped down a bit.

Sent from my iPad using Bub Hub app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Benji View Post
    Sorry, crashing thread but I'm fairly sure SAHMs are entitled to rebate for one or two days for the sake of respite with Centrelink. I'd give them a call TBH and find out exactly what you would be entitled to
    No, only if your working/studying/volunteering or looking for work. Even my mental health issues don't count for respite to get CCTR.

Everyone is entitled to CCB but not CCR.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by TripleTime View Post
    No, only if your working/studying/volunteering or looking for work. Even my mental health issues don't count for respite to get CCTR.

Everyone is entitled to CCB but not CCR.
    I have always received CCR. The only thing I had to prove I was looking for work for was to increase my eligible daycare hours from 24 a week to 50 a week.

Sent from my iPad using Bub Hub app

Thanks
    Reviews
    i plan on sending DD2 to daycare just one day a week at around 18mths
    Last edited by RmumR; 08-12-2011 at 17:10.