+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default 3mth old suddenly waking early - please help!

Hi all....my DS is 3mths old (14wk tmrw) and up until this week has been a good sleeper overnight, only waking at around 11pm, then 4am for feeds. After the last feed, he used to go back to sleep until 7-8am....

This week he has started waking between 5-6am (so only an hour or so after the 4am feed) and won't go back to sleep unless in bed with me (naughty I know). I've tried the usual settling techniques, giving a top-up feed etc but he WON'T go back for a proper sleep in his cot.

Any ideas or suggestions as to why this would be happening? My books don't suggest this is a 'special week', but did anyone else have a similar issue around the same time? 5am is just too early to start my day 

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    my 4 month old DD is exactly the same. Sorry I don't have any advice! I just refuse to play with her or do anything interesting and hope she gets bored enough with this that she goes back to sleep! Hasn't worked so far, but luckily for me she is a 'sucker' so regardless of when I fed her last I can just put her in bed with me and she just sucks and looks around and dozes while I sleep for an extra hour. My DD is also a loud talker and the ONLY way I can keep her quiet so she doesn't wake DS up is to stick a boob in her gob!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Babies, toddlers etc go through so many stages of waking, sleeping etc. I remember getting used to the time DS would sleep, wake etc only to have him change his routine a few weeks later (and still changing).
    Don't worry, go with the flow, things will probably change again in a few weeks!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    My DD is coming up to 9 weeks and if she doesn't go back down into her cot after that feed I put her in with me (I make sure I practice safe cosleeping). Most of the time she does go back down but 6am is practically the middle of the night for me and if I have to have her with me to get another 1-2 hours sleep then so be it.

lupa is offline I love that I am apart of this club called motherhood
    Thanks
    Reviews
    You could try solids.
    Start with a 1/2 to 1 teaspoon at night after a feed. Make sure it's the same sweetness if not sweeter than milk, ie. 70% potato, 30% carrot or apple etc. Take a few days to get used to it, but should do the trick!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by lupa View Post
    You could try solids.
    Start with a 1/2 to 1 teaspoon at night after a feed. Make sure it's the same sweetness if not sweeter than milk, ie. 70% potato, 30% carrot or apple etc. Take a few days to get used to it, but should do the trick!
    Are you for real??!??!? The baby is too young and at this age adding solids is unlikely To make a difference. Milk should absolutely be the primary/only food source at 3 months.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Hollywood For This Useful Post:

naebie  (16-12-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by LG View Post
    Are you for real??!??!? The baby is too young and at this age adding solids is unlikely To make a difference. Milk should absolutely be the primary/only food source at 3 months.
    ^ this.. The ONLY person who should EVER suggest early solids is a qualified pediatrician.. Definitely not some random on a forum! Alot of damage can be done to a developing digestive system by introducing solids too early

I'd suggest as lg said bringing her in for cuddles or an extra milk feed if shell take it. Will she play quietly in her cot for a while?

Witwicky is offline A closed mouth gathers no foot.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by singa06 View Post
    Babies, toddlers etc go through so many stages of waking, sleeping etc. I remember getting used to the time DS would sleep, wake etc only to have him change his routine a few weeks later (and still changing).
    Don't worry, go with the flow, things will probably change again in a few weeks!
    Exactly ^^

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Wow just read this and totally agree with LG 3 mth sounds way too early to start solids Lupa.

As for the OP I also found cosleeping after the 5 or 6am feed worked well for getting a bit of extra sleep.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks everyone 

Yes I do give him another feed, but he just starts cooing at me ready to play! He wont just keep playing in his cot either yet, he cries out knowing I'm right beside him (too little to move upstairs to own room yet).

But if i bring him in to bed with me then usually he will sleep for another hour. I just wasn't sure if I should do this or whether I'd be setting myself up for an even bigger problem down the track! Glad to know other mummies do this too  Hopefully this is just a short term thing then. Thanks again!