+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default 2nd Trimester Scan - Down Syndrome

Hi All
    I'm really scared and anxious!
    i had my 19 Week scan yesterday and was advsied that the thickness
    of the fluid at the back of bubs neck was thinker...
    So the risk of Down Syndrome has increase from 1 in 3100 to 1 in 182
    I'm due to have a Amnio next week.
    The first scan and blood tests all came back with great results giving me the 1 in 3100 but now its increased? Is this possible?
    Just wondering is anyone has been through this or has had an amnio
    Would love to hear your stories and advise
    Thanks
    Vianna

Thanks
    Reviews
    hi, i havnt really been in that situation yet, but i am pregnant with my 4th now. im 16 weeks and found out a week and a bit ago that my 11 weeks scans were fine but i was given the high risk of 1 in219 for downs due to my bloods sent me out of whack with a low papp-a score. we decided that we would wait until the 18 week scans and have them in the city at a womens and childrens and if we have reason to believe the bub may have downs or anything else then i am booked for an amnio. so so so many things go through your mind and scare the life out of u. fingers crossed for you that you get a good result.
    we dont have out testing done til between xmas and new years.

fingers crossed
    jess

Thanks
    Reviews
    How did you go Vianna?

I just had my bloods and NT scan last friday. I was of the understanding that extra fluid indicating downs was absorbed after 13 weeks so that test wasn't an indicator after this date. But I'd google it for more info as my antenatel care thus far hasn't been particularly informative so I may have been told wrong.

I completely understand how you are feeling too!!

My scan was fine but the bloods showed a high risk, I couldn't get in for a CVS this week and you cant do those after 13 weeks so I have to have amnio, which can't be done til after 15 weeks! So I am now stuck in limbo until mid January.

It's going to be a pretty sh!tty christmas and new years waiting for all this to happen. This combined with my impersonal and production-line antenatel care has made this pregnancy (my 1st) an altogether unpleasant experience!

Good luck jess

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi Jess,
    I totally understand what you are going through now
    The results from the "Fish" test came back and they were all clear
    so no dedection of DS. The rest of te results can take 7-10 days
    but docs and obs are pretty happy with it all and so am I!

The last 2 weeks were a roller coaster and to do it through Christmas
    I will be thinking of you!
    Let me know how you go

Thanks
    Reviews
    Oh happy news for you Vianna!

(I'm Alison by the way, I see that I wrote 'good luck jess' which does look confusing, but I meant good luck to Jess who posted before me )

Anyway, yes, very happy news for you, I too will be having the FISH test also, I need to know as soon as I possibly can.

And Jess, if you are still out there reading this. I have excellent results in all my bloods tests, and the scan as well.

My only 'bad' reading was a low PAPP A score (it was very low), same as you. And so with that along with my age they decided I had a 1:2 chance of a DS baby! What a load of rot! I actually had to make a whole bunch of phone calls and finally got onto the head scientist at the WCH who runs the lab who did my test and he kindly told me the actual figures I got on all the other readings (feraprotein, beta HCG, etc) and all were in the normal range or better then normal range. We discussed my scan results too and he said the heart rate, nuchal thickness and nasal bone all sounded perfect, and that he'd be very surprised if the amnio showed a DS fetus.

So basically Jess, if it's only a low PAPP A score I'd not be too concerned, I'm 39 years of age, its my first child and I have a very low PAPP A score and after having some intelligent discussions with a health care professional who I really respect I dont feel so bad.

Much better then after my first appt with a 'goodness knows what his qualifications are' doctor who basically just said, "there you go, one in two chance, super high risk, go have amnio"!

Sheesh!

Merry xmas and new year to all, and please tell us how you go Jess! I have my fingers crossed for you!

Alison

Thanks
    Reviews
    woo hoo ladies. well today i have had a secondry scan and we are satisfied that all is fine with bub and we didnt have to have the amnio, so that was great. time to move onwards and upwards. we have had THE worst year within my family so i am happy to have a happy ending to the year. i hope all is well for everyone else and and fingers crossed 2012 is off to a great start next week.
    Thankyou ladies. In these situations i find it so hard to find peace of mind from trying to have a conversation with hubby or other family, its a relief to get on here and see others are in the same boat. thanks and i hope everyone had a great xmas.
    jess

Thanks
    Reviews
    Brilliant news Jess, I'm so happy to hear that!