+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Desperate sleep help needed!!!!

I don't know what to do and I'm now officially past the point of exhaustion. For 5 days now My 14 week old DD has started waking every 40 mins to 1 hr throughout the night and will only go back to sleep if BFed. So far tonight I have been awake 9 times since 7pm. During the day isn't much better she only has 2 x 40 min naps and If we are lucky 2 x 20 min naps.

I'm completely physically and emotionally drained. I have a 20 month old to sleeping during the day is hard and to top if off my partner is away for work alot and I have no support where I live.

Can anyone give me any suggestions to help??? :-( I feel like I'm doing something wrong!

Sent from my iPhone using Bub Hub app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Can you co-sleep at night? That way you can just throw her on the boob and go back to sleep?

I assume she is waking for comfort as opposed to hunger when it's that often. Long term, perhaps introduce a comfort object like a square of muslin cloth. You keep it with you every sleep time and eventually your LO associates it with sleep and being safe so will find seek it out during the night and put them self back to sleep. DD has had a bunny from about 4 months and now finds it during the night and settles herself back down (unless she's teething like tonight...)

Sleep exhaustion is absolutely awful. I hope she calms down for you soon.

ETA: by the way, you aren't doing anything wrong! Some babies are just rotten sleepers. My DD used to have 4 x half hour sleeps during the day and wake about 4 times at night at that age. She is a million times better now so it will get better with time.

**Coming to you live from my iPhone**
    Last edited by nerdgirl99; 08-12-2011 at 03:55.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks for your help. She has a comforter that she has had since day one so I'm hoping over time that will help.

I tried co-sleeping for a couple if nights but it seemed to make her worse, I think cause she could smell me and wanted booby more.

I just don't know what wrong with her. She has never been this bad with her sleep before.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Have you read about Wonder Weeks? Your LO is right at the right time for a developmental leap which can cause crankiness, crying and well crap sleep. DS I just about to start another and I'm fully expecting his sleep to go to hell for a few weeks.

This will pass, make sure you have a good predictable bed time routine in place (bath, maybe massage, booby, bed).

I use the Babybliss technique when DS is having trouble, I stand there and pay and shhhh until he falls asleep, altering the pat to suit the cry and picking him up if he becomes distressed.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hugs! You are doing so well it must be so hard to keep going without a lot of support.

Does your little one cluster feed of an afternoon/evening? Her naps throughout the day sound like they might possibly be catnaps as well? I found what helped with my DD at 12 weeks, I started to follow a routine. It meant I had to keep her awake for 2x2 hour stretches during the day. It improved her day sleeps immensely. I honestly had to play and entertain her to keep her awake at first.

It improved her overnight sleeping so I was getting up to feed on average 2 times per night.

Best of luck I know how hard it is and I only have one!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Omg today is getting worse, she has only had 2 naps both 20 mins each. She just keeps acting as though she is starving, the sucking is really starting to hurt now. I tried giving her a bottle and a dummy and she just gagged on both until she vomited. *crying* do you think she's not getting enough milk?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Huge huge ! This does not sound like an easy time for you!!

DS went through a stage like this around the same age and it turned out that he was coming down with a cold. He was also waking 8+ times a night! Instead of feeding him every time, I only offered every second 'wake' and settled him down without b00bie the other times.

What does she do when she wakes at night? Full on crying or just a little whinge or 'cry out'? Is it possible to leave her for a minute to see if she will drift back off? Sometimes it turns out that DS is only half awake and drifts back off easily if I don't rush to him.

Re: not enough milk This is something us bfeeders always worry about I'm sure!! She may just be trying to increase your supply by feeding more frequently in preparation for a growth spurt? I always had that fear too, but as long as she is still having enough wet nappies, is alert, etc, they are signs that she is getting enough.

I hope this passes for you quickly!