+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Diet shakes ok??

Hey just wondering if anyone knows if it's ok to drink diet shakes while pregnant? On the box it says no but is this just because you shouldn't be on a very low calorie diet while preg or do they have harmful ingredients? I don't intend on using them as total meal replacements but thought they would be good for when morning sickness makes me so sick I can't eat, just 1 or 2 Max on the bad days. I repeat I am not intending to use them as full meal replacements so no lectures pls . TIA

Thanks
    Reviews
    I wouldn't I'd the pack says no.i think they can make you dehydrated.

If your that sick try the $1.99 cup of soups ,jatz etc and keep your fluids up, and see a doctor if it's more than one day you can keep food down.

Thanks
    Reviews
    There is a certain vitamin in them that is high from some reading i did during pregnancy and if you have this is high doses during pregnancy there can be complications so do not use diet shakes at all when pregnant!

I'm sorry I cant recall which vitamin but please speak to a pharmacist before doing this!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Lots of diet/sugar free foods have phenyalanine in them--the dietician that did one of our classes at the hospital told us to avoid phenyalanine during pregnancy....perhaps look at the ingredients list?? Hope that helps.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I'd probably go for up and go or sustagen instead with milk. The hospital grade sustagen you get from the chemist would be much better I would think than meal replacement shakes, maybe talk to a pharmicist as they stock both?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Many diet shakes have higher than the recommended amounts of vitamin A for pregnant women.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to bugsy For This Useful Post:

MrJones&Me  (08-12-2011)

Home, where my life lies waiting, silently, for me.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    i wouldnt, just try a pregnancy multimitamin vitamin, and eat anything you can keep down.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 5/2/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 31/10/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 24/10/14Busiest Member of the Week
    Quote Originally Posted by bugsy View Post
    Many diet shakes have higher than the recommended amounts of vitamin A for pregnant women.
    Please Don't it can cause birth defects.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Agree with the others, and instead it might be wise to make your own smoothie or have an Up n Go instead.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks everyone I didnt think about up n go's I'll get some today. Also making my own is a great idea dose anyone have any healthy smoothie ideas? I'm taking preg vitamins so yeh was worried bout all the vitamins in the shakes that's why I hadn't even opened the box yet.