+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Antenatal classes?

Can you guys tell me how beneficial the antenatal classes are? I always thought I would need them but have heard so many people say they are a waste of time. I just want to hear from some fellow bub hubbers opinions

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Subscribe

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    I found the antenatal class great - I just did the one day work shop at my hospital with a tour of the birthing suites & maternity ward. It was really helpful in some ways and got me a little excited about birthing - whereas I'd been terrified before.

Unfortunately the MW who ran the class clearly wasn't up to date on hospital policy, so while she was telling us about natural methods and natural pain relief and positions and stuff, the hospital just wanted to rig me up with drugs and get me on the bed as much as possible. So I was totally unprepared for how things would really be at that hospital.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I found it great to get DP involved. It was difficult to get him to read the books etc so it kind of prepared him a little...

**Coming to you live from my iPhone**

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I didn't go - but I really wish I did. I feel it would have really helped DH and I to prepare for the birth. I felt at times during labour that I didn't really know what I was doing. I had some labouring techniques from the Birth Skills book, but I really wish I had gone to the classes.

MuminMind is offline Bubhub Award Winner - 2011- Most Helpful Member, Member I'd Most Like To Meet, Most Community Minded Thread, Best Potential Moderator and Newbie of the Year Awards
    BH Advocate - PND & AND
    Thanks
    Reviews
    My DP and I attended a 7 week course at the hospital, and thought it was ok. It was exciting to see the hospital, but the educational part of the course was average. And as I was quite familiar with babies as it was, we went mainly for the sake of my DP.

However, my DP also attended a one evening "workshop" for dads-to-be, and he absolutely loved it. (They are held at various pubs around the country, and a pub meal is included in the price, so that might have something to do with it!) This course only covers labour and birth. Before attending this workshop he couldn't get his head around what was about to happen. After attending this course, however, he came home so excited and empowered about the impending birth.

I don't know whether you have a partner and if so, your partner is male; but if that is the case, I can highly recommend it!

You can read more about the course here:
    http://www.beerandbubs.com.au/

Best of luck to you both!
    Last edited by MuminMind; 07-12-2011 at 18:09.