+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Do you think this is sexist?

Deleted for privacy
    Last edited by Shoopuf; 08-12-2011 at 09:58.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    What an arrogant pr¡ck!
    I would speak to your manager or the owner of the company you work for and what they choose to do with it from there is up to them I guess.

Sent from my iPhone using Bub Hub app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by zombiekitty View Post
    What an arrogant pr¡ck!
    I would speak to your manager or the owner of the company you work for and what they choose to do with it from there is up to them I guess.

Sent from my iPhone using Bub Hub app
    Yep i agree, i have no advice i just wanted to say yes that is so sexist and what a w***er! I hope u can do something about the way he treated you

Sent from my U8510 using BubHub

SpecialPatrolGroup is offline T-rex is cranky until she gets her coffee.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Oh yeah, what a pig!!!!
    I think a smartly worded retort might help to put him in his place. Unfortunately I am not smart enough at the moment to think of one.

I would also be questioning Ben when he gets back if he is doing things outside of his position description for this and other clients which is setting up unrealistic expectations (I have had this experience before, making clients very difficult to please)

Ana Gram is offline 2008 WINNER - straight shooter award
    Winner 2008 & 2009 - Community Minded thread
    Winner 2009 - Mod Award - most passionate member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Yes, definitely sexist.

Can you discuss it with Ben when he comes back? Does the client have someone senior your could also talk to?

Thanks
    Reviews
    I've dealt with some pretty nasty clients in my field. My role is pretty senior so the title helps sometimes, but occasionally these people pop up. I find that if it's a one-off comment it's best to ignore it and stay on topic. If it happens again there is absolutely nothing wrong with calmly stating that you don't appreciate the comments, that you are happy to help where you can but speaking to you like that is not acceptable. IMO that's the professional way to approach it.

Professional relationships are two-way streets as well, he's the one jeopardizing it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    What a horribly rude and inappropriate comment for him to make.

If it was a one-off I would be inclined to let it slide, but if he regularly spoke out of turn/ offended people then I would be questioning whether he were a client with whom I wanted to continue doing business.

The account managers in our business are able to choose not to work with a particular client, if that client is rude/ unprofessional in their dealings with us. It depends on whether that is something that is allowed in your business or not, but I would be talking to Ben and (if relevant) your manager about it.

If you decide to let it go as a one-off remark, then I would still be talking to Ben about his approach to the client upon his return. I would be looking for him to mention to the client that in his absence you will be dealing with his workload, and that you act in full authority while he is away. This is something that he should be able to say in a diplomatic way (not to chastise the client/ cause an issue), but to get the point across. Perhaps this is something that he didn't make the client aware of before he left?

I also agree with Cue, that there is nothing wrong with stating that you are perfectly equipped to deal with his queries, and that you do not appreciate his tone.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Do you think his behavior was sexist? What should I do? I can't really tell him what I think because he is a client and I don't want to damage the relationship. How do I handle it?
    Sexist? No. Chauvinist? Hell yes. There are plenty of them around. I wouldn't make a big deal of it as it'd just be giving him the audience he so desperately desires..as most people do when throwing a tantrum. If you do take it up, it won't be a win-win situation and let's face it, you aren't going to change this man's attitude. And to be honest, as he doesn't really feature in your life aside from a telephone conversation, should you really care? By saying that I don't mean to downplay your astonishment but query which battle is worth fighting so to speak. Life is to short to let idiots like this take up your headspace.

I think the following is a really good point:

I would also be questioning Ben when he gets back if he is doing things outside of his position description for this and other clients which is setting up unrealistic expectations
    When I read the response, this is what I immediately thought of as clients who are used to getting a particular type of service do not react at all well when someone "new" tells them no. You may find that dear ol' Ben is bending the rules a bit.

Zombie_eyes is offline Formerly Diamondeyes
    Winner 2012 - Biggest Computer Nerd
    Winner 2013/14 - Funniest Member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    horrible and yes very sexist.