+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Violence

My daughter Alex is 5 and the size of a 3 yr old. She look adorable, .... BUT. She has become so violent.

Alex will punch, bite, kick and scratch me. She's also started hitting out at other people if she;s in the moment. Eg this morning she punshed the coordinator for family day care (which im looking into for respite) and yesterday punshed her support worked at her ECDP xmas party.

These angry, vilent outbursts can stem from over stimulation, not getting what she wants, ...anything really. Becoming more and more common. She drew blood on my yesterday with her fingernails.

Alex is diagnosed Autistic and is developmentally about 3.

I need some help! She's becoming frightening to me, and she's only 5! Whats it going to be like when she's 10!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I live in Melbourne, have hooked a teen up with Dhs disability youth service and Norwood. Dhs worked with her for a few years in her youth but it feels like now she is 19 things only just got moving. we had a LOT of police issues so I am pretty sure there are better services but that is what I had, not much help sorry.

When the girl I care for was that age she was rather terrifying as well, older still at 7 she was so violent that when She caught me playing with other kids she enraged jealously and stopped her foot down on my head when I tripped over, ripped my earring out and caused bleeding. It is very hard and I do sympathize with you, but closer to 20 she has started to average out. When they are 'younger' then their actual age, it can be so hard, you.

You need to find support in your area, look up support networks for you as well as the little one. If you aren't happy with one, try another, you need all the support you can get - it helps you stay strong when she needs your patience and love in those near impossible times.

Stay strong, find help, with love and support it can be tamed. Hugs.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to AngieH For This Useful Post:

LivinOnAPrayer  (07-12-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Blah wasn't clear I dont think, I know you mentioned support worker and respite, I mean MORE services could help.. I have one looking at supporting her with basic life skills, one works one holidays or day trips, another one is working on at home support... I have another one looking into future housing for her lol. Some were good at certain aspects, not others. Lately we have had big meet ups with all the workers, it has been interesting but one downside is I have to chase up so many people haha.

It does improve, though the more stressed I was the worse she got, so take care of yourself as well!

I stressed a lot that if I was hurt no more playing, if she was screaming we'd go home. I got weird looks when she was 13, but she had stopped those tantrums mostly by 8 with me. After that they were more spread out, but I totally understand it can get scary.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to AngieH For This Useful Post:

LivinOnAPrayer  (07-12-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    My six year old sounds very similar, he's only 15kgs but look out when he's on a rampage. We have been getting some help recently from a behavioral therapist. He's case managed through disability services and they organized it. Good luck

Sent from my iPhone using Bub Hub