+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Do you have a pool? What are your pool rules???

Hi There

We are pool owners and because of this my inlaws think they can just drop in to use our pool at their leisure.

DH and I are very paranoid about pool safety for our child and we need to develop some rules that apply to the pool in our home and others need to follow them, but I want these to be fair rules and not just mean because my inlaws are driving me crazy with using our house like a hotel.

My FIL turned up the other day with my 20 mth old niece to swim in my pool when I wasnt home. (he has a key to let himself through the side gate) I was furious when I found out and phoned my SIL and FIL and told them that if Im not home, you do not use the pool, you need to ask me before just turning up and the baby must be in the pool with her PARENT. If Grandad wants to join he can, but he is not to be sole guardian in our pool.
    SIL text me today again to come over. I said, no Im not home. There is a very good local public pool closer to them than we are that they can use for $3. And seriously, is it going to be a daily thing in summer?
    I enjoy having our kids together in the pool, dont get me wrong, but not every day is convenient either and they need to be fine about finding something else to do if it doesnt suit us.
    anyway, I got off track with a rant, but would appreciate any feedback. Thank you.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I'm usually home but have no problems at all letting my sister or sister in laws using the pool if it's hot? My mum always takes DS for a swim if she has him and I'm not home, My in laws have their own pool so they wouldn't need come over alone but I don't think I'd be really that concerned? It is your pool though so its your rules!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    If BIL and SIL are happy for FIL to supervise their child in the pool, i don't think it's up to you to say if this is ok or not.

Apart from that, your pool your rules. If you get all pedantic, i would probably not bother coming over at all though.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I have similar rules too.

No using the pool if I am not there.

Non swimmers must be supervised, and if you have floaties, swim aids etc, please bring them with you.

Chucking stuff in my pool is an instant time out!

I try to be relaxed about requests to come and swim (I am very popular on hot days!) it sucks being hot, I only say no if I have an appointment etc otherwise I'm fine.

At the end of the day people visiting need to understand as the pool owner you are responsible, and therefore they need to respect your rules.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to TinyStar For This Useful Post:

Manny  (09-12-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I don't have a poop, but my aunty and grandparents both do, for me and the rest of the immediate family we are allowed to pop over whenever and go through the side gate if no one is home

but its your pool, so your rules.

Thanks
    Reviews
    We have a pool and I totally get where you are coming from about feeling a little bit used and abused during the summer months!! I dont think its very fair of your FIL to assume that you are happy for them to come over to use your pool everysingle hot day in summer - it would really crap me off. We have very strict rules about the pool as well - all children are to be supervised by an adult and I also like to keep a adult to child ratio going for safety reasons, non swimming children need to be in the pool with an adult, no throwing non pool items in the pool. I have suddenly become very popular with some of my friends now that we have a beautiful inground pool and I just turn my phone off! I dont mind sharing the pool with friends but there are days where I just want me and my family around and dont really feel like entertaining. The thing is when people turn up to swim they also seem to expect to be fed, want drinks etc.... I think you are quite within your right to be annoyed

8. The Following User Says Thank You to lovelymum For This Useful Post:

Manny  (09-12-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Bubbles10 View Post
    If BIL and SIL are happy for FIL to supervise their child in the pool, i don't think it's up to you to say if this is ok or not.

Apart from that, your pool your rules. If you get all pedantic, i would probably not bother coming over at all though.
    It is up to me if it's in my pool on my property. I don't think he would be capable enough of preventing something that could be an accident becoming worse. If they are happy for him to supervise w/o them there, well he can take her to the local pool.

Thanks
    Reviews
    We have a pool. Honestly.... we don't mind who uses it. It's there to be enjoyed and family of all people are more than welcome to use it. Even if we weren't home if they let themselves in through the back gate we wouldn't care as long as there was an adult to supervise and they made no mess. We have even told our neighbors and kids they are more than welcome to have a swim anytime - as long as we are home. Family is different though. I get the feeling you have other issues with them if you think it's a big deal? I'd be quite sad if my family had a similar reaction to you