+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Horrid sciatica pain.....Possible Early inducement???

So ive been having horrible Sciatica pain in my left hip/dimple/back,
    It Came about after i had a slight slip/fall, its been here for about 5 weeks and seen my Ob/Dr about it she said do the usual, heat pack, swimming, exercises, sit on a fit ball Blah Blah Blah......... Nothing works, Ive been to the chiropractor and physio several times and it seems for help for the 1-2 hours after treatment then it goes back to being painful, I ended up going to the midwifery ward as the pain is be excruciating (sp??) i have trouble walking, i walk with a limp, i cant sit down for too long or stand up for too long and then when i do i favour my Right leg putting more strain on the right side of my back etc etc getting in and out of bed takes me 5 min as the pain is o m g, i have panadeine forte and tamazpan to help but nothing is working, the on call Ob that i saw at the hospital said they have induced women who have sciatica issues who have tried everything etc etc, i spoke to my Ob about this as its my 3rd baby and ive gone overdue with both of them and they likelihood of going over again is high ( she the ob even said this herself) but she was like "oh just keep going with chrio and physio and take the pain relief but i dont want to go on for another 4-6 weeks taking medication and forking out $$ on chiro and physio that DONT WORK!!!!!!!!!! =((
    So i just want to know if anyone has had first hand experience with this or if i can have some back up info i can tell my ob asking to be induced, im due on the 6th jan and i know its so b.l.o.o.d.y close to xmas and i dont want a xmas day baby but i just cannot take the pain any more.............
    Last edited by foreverclucky; 07-12-2011 at 12:06.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My ob induced early bc I had sciatica.
    Took pity on me cos I was a woman on the edge, but I was already 39 weeks, soooo...
    But, I hear you, it's so painful and depressing. Sending you good vibes.

MilkingMaid is offline Winner 2009 - Mod Award - most supportive member
    Question those who don't question authority
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I get sciatica periodically, and yes it's the pits when pregnant. Anyway, I have a wee trick which really helps relieve it, I trace up to the spot on my hip where the pain originates, and then locate it with my thumb, and press really hard into that spot, as hard as I can stand, for as long as I can stand, sometimes you have to do it a few times, but it actually deprives the nerve of oxygen, and stops the pain... works for me anyway.

All the best, hopefully something works for you and you don't need induction, as that can open a whole new can of worms...
    Last edited by MilkingMaid; 07-12-2011 at 12:35.

Thanks
    Reviews
    They wont induce you before term for sciatica.(im sure you wouldnt want to be induced before term anyway). They may consider at 38 weeks or after, your best off further discussing it with them.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I would just keep presenting at the midwife clinic or you maternity assessment unit, they have to see how much pain you are in!

Thanks
    Reviews
    the Ob says that 37 weeks is term and i was induced with both my babies being overdue ( 40+12 and 40+5) so i really dont know any difference (dd2 my water broke but no contractions), i just dont want to go overdue with the pain, i didnt have any pain relief with the girls so i like to think my pain tollerance is pretty darn good but this just makes me cry and with 2 kids at home i need help, ive had my mum or MIL coming every day just to help me as i cant do much and ive known other ladies who have been induced a week or 2 early becoz of the pain.

AM= the physio goes that and yes it helps, but only when they do it then it just goes back to being painful, everything i do is only temporary

4OnEarth- do u think i should just keep going back to the OB or go up to the hospital ward. i just dont want to be a pain as i know they are very busy with more important things like help labouring women??
    and yes i know what it will go away when the baby is born....

Thanks
    Reviews
    I had terrible sciatica problems at 32 weeks which sent me into early contractions. I ended up going to myotherapy (after physio and chiro). It did improve a LOT. It wasn't perfect but I could live with it. She told me I needed to improve my posture no slouching etc and it seemed to help also.

Ended up delivering at 40+6 and of course all pain was gone virtually straight afterwards. I hope it gets better for you soon. I can remember how agonizing it was having to crawl around on the floor as I couldn't walk.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    If you are going private then they will induce early.

I was induced at 39 weeks because I had terrible round ligament pain - I couldn't get out of bed most days from 36 weeks and I'd just had enough. It ended in a c-section, but I am still glad we did it because it was hell!