+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I'm a terrible camper, I take everything bar the kitchen sink

It really depends if you're going to be 'camping' in a caravan park or similar with power/toilet/shower/bbq facilities or somewhere out in the middle of the bush with nothing!

If you're at a caravan park or similar campground with facilities, you don't need as much. Table & chairs, something to sleep on (camp stretcher/blow up mattress/swag etc) a powerboard and extension cord (as you just plug into one powerpoint at a central point usually) lantern/light, a frypan (electric is good), kettle, toaster if you have toast in the morning, camping fridge or esky with lots of block ice (lasts longer than the cubes), cutlery/plates/utensils/can opener, tea towel and some dishwashing liquid (and probably a bucket/plastic container to stick plates etc in to carry over to the wash sink), dustpan and brush for sweeping out the tent, food, probably lots of other stuff I've forgotten!!

If you have an unpowered site in teh middle of nowhere, most of the stuff above (except the electrical stuff) as well as gas powered lanterns, a gas stove (so you'll need 2x gas bottles so you can see and cook at the same time!), matches, a kettle that goes on a hotplate, pans and pots for cooking, 12v fridge or esky with block ice, a large plastic trough/bucket to wash up in, camp shower/toilet (or a shovel to dig holes).

If you're going for a few days, take a tarp and some extra tent poles to set up an undercover, shaded eating area, makes things a lot more pleasant, especially if you get rain!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    The name and phone number for the nearest decent hotel!!

Sorry, I couldn't resist. I'd be terrible at camping.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to me+he=3 For This Useful Post:

Awesomesauce  (07-12-2011)

AndrewTheEmu is offline Bubhub Ambassador - tongue in cheek
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    How old are your kids and if babies are they FF or BF?

How long are you going for?

We go for 3 weeks and this year DD will be 18 mnths so we won't be taking the bottles, sterilizer, formula, baby mush, or the food processor to make baby mush

We take;
    Tent,
    Flooring,
    Table and chairs,
    2 x benches for food prep
    Toaster
    Kettle
    BIG electric fry Pan or gas cooker
    Plates bowls cutlery cups
    Bed + bedding
    Dds travel cot + bedding
    Towels
    toiletries + suncream + INSECT REPELANT
    mossie net for DDs cot
    Food
    Drinks + tea & coffee
    Sugar salt and pepper
    Fridge + esky
    Microwave + microwave safe dish
    Clothes swimmers & shoes
    Body boards + beach toys
    DDs toys + colouring in
    Xmas tree

That's all off the top of my head. We have 3 a4 pages front and back worth of stuff

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 26/9/2014100 Posts in a week
    We take:

Tent
    Air mattress & pump
    Sleeping bags & pillows
    Lanterns (they are rechargeable ones)
    Torch
    Gas cooker
    Fridge/freezer (runs off gas)
    Esky & ice
    Cooking & eating utensils
    Camping chairs & table
    Portable gazebo (for shade)
    Camping shower
    Fire lighters & firewood (if you are allowed a camp fire)
    Collapsible shovel (if you have to dig own toilet) & toilet paper
    Insect repellant
    Sun cream
    Hand sanitiser
    Towels
    Food & drinks
    Water
    Deck of cards

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 26/9/2014100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Awesomesauce View Post
    Thanks everyone

Where going in the middle of the bush so DH & DS can take there dirt bikes...DH just looked at me if I asked if there was somewhere to plug my hair dryer in to then he informed me there is no toilets, showers, ANYTHING were going for 2 days to see how I go I think I would be ok if there was a beach or something near by but no nothing just trees trees and more trees...

DS is 3.5 and is excited his excitement covers both of us I guess
    Sounds similar to where we went camping last year..middle of nowhere on a bush property so the boys could go hunting. Not much fun for the girls!

Make sure you have stuff to keep yourself occupied (books, magazines etc)!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by TheSudgestionator View Post
    How old are your kids and if babies are they FF or BF?

How long are you going for?

We go for 3 weeks and this year DD will be 18 mnths so we won't be taking the bottles, sterilizer, formula, baby mush, or the food processor to make baby mush

We take;
    Tent,
    Flooring,
    Table and chairs,
    2 x benches for food prep
    Toaster
    Kettle
    BIG electric fry Pan
    or gas cooker
    Plates bowls cutlery cups
    Bed + bedding
    Dds travel cot + bedding
    Towels
    toiletries + suncream + INSECT REPELANT
    mossie net for DDs cot
    Food
    Drinks + tea & coffee
    Sugar salt and pepper
    Fridge + esky
    Microwave + microwave safe dish
    Clothes swimmers & shoes
    Body boards + beach toys
    DDs toys + colouring in
    Xmas tree

That's all off the top of my head. We have 3 a4 pages front and back worth of stuff
    How do you take these things? do you have a generator or do you camp at powered sites?

we havnt been camping for ages but we used to take a big 'esky' (old bar fridge) 3/4 full of grog and 1/4 full of food!! we always cook over a fire/coals. we have a canopy on the back of DHs hilux where we wold put a mattress to sleep

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    I don't think you need to pack as much as some people say - the whole point of camping (IMO) is to do away with some of hte mod-cons!

Anyway, I think if you're going somewhere with NOTHING it might be a good idea to get a small gas stove thing (for camping), because while you can light a fire, you might actually be allowed to. So bring that, gas and matches.

An esky.
    Disposable cutlery/crockery OR tin camping versions, with a tub to wash up in and some washing liquid. Paper towel.
    Remember to bring some utensils for the cooking too - a pan an a pair of tongs should do it.

Sleeping bags. Maybe some little thin mattress roll things... cos sometimes the ground can have rocks and stuff on it and this cushions that.

Will you have somewhere to wash? I know you you said no showers, but a lake or something? A tap? I'd use the washing up bucket mentioned above to give everyone a wash. You can buy portable shower things, but for 2 days it's not worth it IMO. Same with a camping toilet - you can buy one... I'd just dig a hole. So bring a spade and some toilet paper!

Definitely insect repellant... and stuff for bites if you get them.

A first aid kit.

A car phone-charger... so if you NEED to use it, you can (emergencies).

More than 1 towel per person.

I'd get a waterproof tent/tent cover too. Same with something for hte ground in case it rains (it's ALWAYS rained whenever I've been camping. lol). So raincoats too.

Bring stuff to entertain yourself... books, colouring books, board games, etc. Low-tech stuff. Crossword puzzle books and similar might be alright for the adults/older kids.

Bikes, if you have them.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Lots of water!!!!!!!!
    And a good book lol
    Take some extra food just in case as well.

MuminMind is offline Bubhub Award Winner - 2011- Most Helpful Member, Member I'd Most Like To Meet, Most Community Minded Thread, Best Potential Moderator and Newbie of the Year Awards
    BH Advocate - PND & AND
    Thanks
    Reviews
    A flashlight! Preferably one of those you put on your head, so that when you or the kids need to pee in the middle of the night, you have your hands free and can see what you are doing!

Toilet paper! (see above)

Insect repellent! You don't want to end up like this guy ====>

Wine!

Best of luck!