+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Baby sign language

Has anyone used baby sign language with their LO?? was it helpful?? where did you get the information from? how young was you bub when you started??

Thanks
    Reviews
    We bought a kit from Baby Signs Aust. It's been really helpful. We have a 14 month old DS. He can do simple signs now. We started when he was about 2 months old - always doing the sign for bottle, bath etc. pick a few simple signs to start. Repetition is the key!

3. The Following User Says Thank You to bg14 For This Useful Post:

OS&N  (07-12-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Our kit was from baby signs aust as well. We've been signing since DS was around 4 months (he's one now) and he can do food, water, milk and bath.

It's one of the best things we did, I think. He can let us know what he wants which means that he doesn't get frustrated and it's easier to keep him happy - especially when we are out.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to happygrl For This Useful Post:

OS&N  (07-12-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I can't see how old bub is but I take my LO to "baby sensory" they teach baby sign language.

DD doesn't really understand any but I don't use them often enough for her to.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Eleven Eleven For This Useful Post:

OS&N  (07-12-2011)

AndrewTheEmu is offline Bubhub Ambassador - tongue in cheek
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I just downloaded the Australian sign language chart/information.

Started teach DD at 9 mnths and by 11mnths she was using some signs consistently.

By 14 mnths she could sign for milk, more, drink/water, eat, a nappy change, a tickle, up, help and all-done.

She had a few more too but I've forgotten.

Shes 18 mnths old now and doesn't do them anymore because I stopped signing to her once she had the hang of it.

If you have the patience to teach bub it's well worth the effort. SOO Nice to have a clue about what their screaming about

But yes consistency is the key. And you have to keep signing to them even once they know the sign.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to AndrewTheEmu For This Useful Post:

OS&N  (07-12-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    The only person i know who used baby sign now has a 3.5 year old who doesnt talk. May not be related but worth thinking about!!

11. The Following User Says Thank You to jennibear For This Useful Post:

OS&N  (07-12-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I gave it a half hearted attempt at 'food' and 'all-done', but I wasn't consistent and my ds never really signed. I didn't start til about 10 or 11 months. What I didn't realise was that he had hearing issues and his speech was slowed as a result. He got grommets at 15 months and suddenly added heaps of new words to his vocab, so I realised that he had quite a lot of thoughts/words trapped inside.

So, this time around I will be signing with my dd. There are posters available on the 'net and I'll just be using them. Not sure what age to start though. She's only 2 months old.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to mim1 For This Useful Post:

OS&N  (07-12-2011)

rainbow road is offline look at the stars, look how they shine for you
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    My aunt used baby sign language with all her little ones. They do milk, food, more, finished, bird and bath.

The older 2 (5 and 3) both speak extremely well now; the younger bubba (18 months) still signs but I've NEVER heard her cry! She can get her point across without it.

I think it's great

15. The Following User Says Thank You to rainbow road For This Useful Post:

OS&N  (07-12-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks everyone! DD is 3 months and my MIL mentioned it to me (she saw it on a show). So thought that even if she learns basic words like 'milk','sleep', etc that would be helpful rather than figuring out why she is crying !! . I'll try the chart and see how it goes. Hopefully I'm atient enough to keep repeating them !!

Oh just remembered...didnt Robert Di Niro use this technique on his grndsonn in Meet The Fockers?? That was one smart bub !!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Unfortunately I've had the same experience as jennibear. I know a few families who've used it and all the kiddies were very late talkers, even when they were talking they were very lazy and would either sign or just grunt . Which I guess could be a blessing of some peace and quiet for some families!

18. The Following User Says Thank You to elleseetee For This Useful Post:

OS&N  (07-12-2011)