+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default in between tests and SO much to think about..

Well to start off i have 3 girls 6,4,1 i have had 1 miscarriage in 09 and another this year. We have be very excited to be expecting again and hoping for number 4.. all has been well until i had the scans at 11wks. NT measurements were 1.8mm normal but combined with my bloods, my PAPP-A was 0.52 and this put me in the high risk catagory. after 3 healthy kids we were shocked as i am only 27. i am now 15.4 weeks and we have decided to wait until 18 weeks and have extensive scans in the city as we are from a rural area we were advised to go to the city. we are also booked in for an amnio on the same day if there is anything found to be sus in the ultrasound. my risk is 1 in 219 so i am hoping to be part of the other 218..

its so hard to decide what to do as if we find the baby has a syndrome or any other life altering factors that we believe we couldnt cope with, then we would terminate.
    its just so hard to no what to do, i wasnt keen on the amnio because of the risk so that is why i am having scans first. are there any other factors that can alter the PAPP-A results as my doc believes this it the thing that has put me at the high risk? i have a kidney disease also diagnosed this year and my blood pressure is generally high. could this result be from something other than an abnormality in the baby?

sorry for rambling on, so many questions in my head.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to mumofkaitlinellamia For This Useful Post:

lovemybabies!  (06-12-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Couldnt read and not give you some . I hope everything is fine with your bub. I really admire your strength. I know how hard it is to wait in limbo land for results and scans...its a pretty stressful and worrying time.

You will know what is right for you and your family when the time comes. Hopefully the scans are reassuring and you dont need the amnio or need to make any tough decisions. You still have 218 chances that everything is ok.

Ive never had experiance with PAPP-A results so cant help you there. I hope another BH member is able to give you some advice.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Huge

good luck with your other tests

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    You poor thing

We were high risk with our first bub too and I know how stressful it is waiting. One thing to remember is, the smallest thing can make those results come back high risk (an off measurement for example). I still have no idea why ours did but the amnio showed everything was ok.

Big hugs, let usk now how it all goes

Thanks
    Reviews
    Sorry to hear that you have to go through all that.

If it's any comfort for you to know that you are not alone when I had mt 12 week scan the NT measurement was 1.8mm but I had a low PAPPA-A score (0.110MoM) which put me in the high risk category for trisomy 21 (1:31) , 18 (1:110) and 13 (1:177). Me being only 27 and it being my first baby I was really shocked, disappointed and scared about having to have an amnio to make sure everything is all ok.

I'm 16.5 weeks and my amnio was on Wednesday. I was petrified it was going to hurt...especially when they were talking about needle gauges. But my Dr was really gentle and gave me a local anesthetic which thank god he did. All I felt was the pressure of the amnio needle going in and afterwards I only had the tiniest amount of period-like cramps.

Now I am just waiting patiently for my results which should be out this afternoon and I'm desperate to find out the gender since bubz was sitting on its legs the cheeky thing!

And, for you also.

7fornow is offline Blessed Mummy to 1 awesome man and 6 lovely ladies!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    girls,
    My sister had a similar situation when pregnant with #2 and she was 31 yrs at the time. She ended up having the NT scan and came back with high risk, then two amnios done as the waters were murky from a small bleed shed had early on in the pregnancy. They found out all was well and my nephew is now nearing 6 yrs old, so a very happy ending.. How did you both go with your testing? Did it all turn out well, did you find out bubs gender? Hope so

Thanks
    Reviews
    This reply may be too late now, but I wanted to share my experience so that hopefully you wouldn't worry too much about the actual test (should you decide to go through with it).
    I had my amnio test yesterday, and it didn't hurt at all! Just felt a bit bruised, and that was with no local anaesthetic. My 12wk scan measurements were fine but when combined with my blood test and age (33yr) it put me just in the high risk category. (This is my 2nd pregnancy) I decided to have the test in the end as I didn't think iI could relax and enjoy my pregnancy with the uncertainty - but it is definitely a personal choice and no one should decide for you (although that's all I wanted when I was deciding!)
    So for me and dh it's down to waiting now. I didn't choose to have the FISH test as I can't help but think that it's a money making scheme made on parents emotions, so 10-14days and we should know the score. Fingers crossed.
    I hope your second scan is all good but should you decide to have the amnio I can only tell you that the amnio test itself is nothing to fear.
    Good luck xx

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hello,

all went well and came back clear I got my results back on Wednesday just gone and didn't have to pay anything extra like I have been reading on various forums. I will also be sent a full DNA analysis with the baby's gender in another 2 weeks but by then I'm sure I would have already been for the full anatomy scan.

I'm so happy and relieved everything is fine because now I can stick out my tumy with pride rather than sucking it in with fear

Thanks
    Reviews
    awesome news for you, congratulations