+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Most nights DS will sleep through without a feed till 3/4am. I think it was a combination of him dropping the feeds himself and us encouraging it. Since about 7 or 8ish months I'd get DH to settle him when he woke (if before midnight) often he could do it just by rubbing his tummy for 5 minutes whereas if I got involved it would be an hour of crying while I rocked him or booby. If DH couldn't do it in about half an hour I'd go in with my boobs. Eventually I think he got sick of it taking half an hour of whinging to dad before he got his boob.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Thanks ladies.

I think my DS would be one of the bubs that would happily wake for feeds until 2 or 3 if I let it keep going (unless I fell pregnant )

It's just so hard to decide when he's ready for me to actively wean, I'm sure he is mainly feeding for comfort but is that still a genuine need? Or a habit?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Kooglekat View Post
    Thanks ladies.

I think my DS would be one of the bubs that would happily wake for feeds until 2 or 3 if I let it keep going (unless I fell pregnant )

It's just so hard to decide when he's ready for me to actively wean, I'm sure he is mainly feeding for comfort but is that still a genuine need? Or a habit?
    Now you're opening up the thread for heated debate! Ha ha

My opinion - habit

Trial and error - see what happens if you don't feed him at night. He might be happy with just a pat, reassurance and comfort you're there, or he might grizzle carry on with you a bit and probably you'll be up longer for the first night than if you'd just fed him. Better still if your partner can attend/comfort him then baby boy knows for sure he ain't getting milk. It's a hard night or two cause it is easier to just feed and go back to bed, but if it is just habit and you can alter it, after he starts sleeping thru the two/three nights of less sleep definitely seem worth it.

Anyway this is just an abbreviated version of my 'how we got the kids to sleep thru the night'.

Thanks
    Reviews
    9 months. He had been on 3 meals a day since 5 months and I was still getting up 3 hourly for feeds overnight and I'd had enough! I offered water and stayed with him, patted him until he was calm. Then I'd leave and return if he began crying again. It took 3 nights for him to sleep his first 10 hour stretch ever and nearly 2 years on he is still the most amazing sleeper.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    i think that is different for every baby, some sleep through without feeds from an early age and others need feeds overnight for longer.

i think comfort IS a genuine need, but also think that other methods of comfort can be used if breastfeeding is getting too much for you. breastfeeding is a relationship between 2 people, and it has to work for both of you.

For me, i would prefer to breastfeed a baby than stand there rocking or patting but for others the opposite works.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bubbles10 For This Useful Post:

ArthurDent  (07-12-2011),MilkingMaid  (07-12-2011)

Home, where my life lies waiting, silently, for me.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    we attempted to night wean around 16 months, but i sleep through dds feeds, and she self serves. so i dont wake over night but she feeds still.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bubbles10 View Post
    i think that is different for every baby, some sleep through without feeds from an early age and others need feeds overnight for longer.

i think comfort IS a genuine need, but also think that other methods of comfort can be used if breastfeeding is getting too much for you. breastfeeding is a relationship between 2 people, and it has to work for both of you.

For me, i would prefer to breastfeed a baby than stand there rocking or patting but for others the opposite works.
    I agree with this post

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks ladies.

I think comfort is a genuine need, but I guess it depends on what affect his night feeding is having on the two of you as to whether you keep going.

I made the decision to stop feeding overnight when DS had been waking 1 - 2 hourly for a couple of months. To be honest if he was only feeding once or twice a night I wouldn't have bothered, but I thought perhaps the constant feeding back to sleep was the barrier between us and a better night's sleep. I must say that DS didn't put up alot of a fuss when I stopped feeding, which made me think he was kind of ready. It took longer to get him back to sleep, and there was a bit of crying, but nothing that made me feel uncomfortable about what we were doing (and I hate hearing my baby cry).

You can always give other settling techniques a go, but go back to feeding if your DS obviously isn't ready and try again in a month or two.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to decemberbubba For This Useful Post:

ArthurDent  (07-12-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I feel quite conflicted about this one. He has increased the night feeds to 3 in the last week, which I'm finding a bit much, i think he is teething again? But I know that the breastfeeds are his only method of comfort, he has never taken a dummy or any other comfort item no matter what we tried. He is only interested in the boobies! He has started reaching into my top to get at my nipples whenever he is nervous or being settled etc. I hate this!!! I am starting to feel violated lol!!

Anyway, I will keep going til new year at least as we are going away over Christmas. I'll see how I feel then.

Thanks for your thoughts

Thanks
    Reviews
    I feel quite conflicted about this one. He has increased the night feeds to 3 in the last week, which I'm finding a bit much, i think he is teething again? But I know that the breastfeeds are his only method of comfort, he has never taken a dummy or any other comfort item no matter what we tried. He is only interested in the boobies! He has started reaching into my top to get at my nipples whenever he is nervous or being settled etc. I hate this!!! I am starting to feel violated lol!!

Anyway, I will keep going til new year at least as we are going away over Christmas. I'll see how I feel then.

Thanks for your thoughts
    It's so hard isnt it? Last night DS fed twice, tonight looks like it's going to be the same. I just got DH to try to settle him for about 40 minutes now I'm feeding him. Feel like a total failure at the moment as I always do when he regresses. It is hard to have your boobs as their only comfort - it is a real strain on you and you feel guilty when you don't provide it. If you're happy to go to the new year then that's great.

PS did you get my pm last night? Just asking cos they often don't work.