+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default When did you night wean your bub?

I've been thinking about this a bit lately with my bub close to turning one, then I was reminded by the other night feeding thread that was started this morning.

For all the breastfeeding mums, when was your little one night weaned? Did this happen on it's own or did you have to actively wean them?

I am happy to night feed for as long as bub needs it, but lately im a bit nervous that if I left it up to him I would still be feeding him in 5 years time!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I night weaned at 14 months. I was so physically exhausted as she was still waking2-3 times a night, but only having a quick 2 minute feed to get back to sleep, so I knew she was doing it for comfort, not food. So I slowly moved her bedtime feed back to about an hour before bed, then a few weeks later put her to bed and told her I wasn't going to give her milky milk if she woke up during the night.

It took one night of cuddling/patting/rocking back to sleep (as well as quite a few tears I have to admit) and she slept through the next night and has from then on. Not saying it would be that 'easy' for everyone, but she was old enough to understand when I told her no milky milk, sleep time, as well as not really 'needing' it, which helped.

Thanks
    Reviews
    We kind of night weaned at 9 months. DS was only comfort sucking, so I started reducing his feed times and rocking him to sleep when I'd take him off (cos he was a bit unhappy about his boobie being taken away ). Over the course of about a week I reduced the feed times, then went to picking up to settle for another week or so then went to settling in the cot. I've had to feed a few times overnight in the last couple of weeks as he's been waking up hysterical and it's the only thing that settles him, which is why I said we 'kind of' night weaned .

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by MrsBeee View Post
    I night weaned at 14 months. I was so physically exhausted as she was still waking2-3 times a night, but only having a quick 2 minute feed to get back to sleep, so I knew she was doing it for comfort, not food. So I slowly moved her bedtime feed back to about an hour before bed, then a few weeks later put her to bed and told her I wasn't going to give her milky milk if she woke up during the night.

It took one night of cuddling/patting/rocking back to sleep (as well as quite a few tears I have to admit) and she slept through the next night and has from then on. Not saying it would be that 'easy' for everyone, but she was old enough to understand when I told her no milky milk, sleep time, as well as not really 'needing' it, which helped.
    Yep pretty much same story and same self weaning manner here for both of mine - dd at 9 months and ds at 13 months. Ds was more my decision than his. Incidentally I bf dd til 19 months but ds self weaned fully at 13 months

Thanks
    Reviews
    My DD night weaned herself at 15 months. I was pregnant and she had been sick and was drinking water at night in addition to bfeeds because i couldn't produce enough. Then she just started asking for the water rather than boob. I think she was getting more immediate rewards from the water bottle than from me.

Thanks
    Reviews
    We actively night weaned at 15 months. It took 10 nights before she slept through without waking for a feed. The first 2 nights were the worst, taking me around 2 hours to resettle with patting and comforting. But mine is very determined..... She was ready (in terms of not needing the actual food.. She clearly still enjoyed the comfort!!!) and I was exhausted so it worked for us

Thanks
    Reviews
    Ps being consistent and persistent were the keys for us. Also sending her dad in made her madder :-) it needed to be me going in so she knew I was there and there was no milk til morning

When I say she sleeps through, she makes it to 5am most nights now if that counts. She is now 20 months

MilkingMaid is offline Winner 2009 - Mod Award - most supportive member
    Question those who don't question authority
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    My first son I actively night weaned at 3.5 years! and second one 2.5 years (18 months tandem night nursing, never again!) as I had a pregnancy scare, and this bub will be 3 in Feb, he's still night nursing, but I'll wean him around 3 I reckon...

Thanks
    Reviews
    2 years and 3 months.

My first child self-weaned at 14mo when I was pregnant but still woke at night for over a year after so I often wished I still had the magic sleep potion lol

Thanks
    Reviews
    My DD was 9 months. She woke at 1am every night without fail and comfort sucked for a few minutes before going back to sleep so it was definitely a habit. I sent DH in to rock/pat/settle her. It took 3 nights of being up for about an hour and she stopped waking.

DS is 9.5 months now and I think he's getting close to night weaning stage. He sleeps through most nights so he probably doesn't need boob on the nights he does wake. When he does feed in the night, he sleeps in and then isn't as keen to feed in the morning - not so great on work days!! I'll probably do what I did with DD but DH is too busy at work at the moment to help out at night. Maybe over the Christmas break...