+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Starting my own buisness.... What to do? Advice please

So im starting my own cleaning buisness.

What do i need to do/ get to start my buisness?

Im getting a abn, is that all i need?

Also how would i go about advertising and getting the word out?

Any other advice would be great

Thanks
    Reviews
    You will need an Abn (sounds like you have that sorted.

Next you will need to decide what type of cleaning you any to do (residential or corporate).

Next you will need a name (if you don't want to trade as yourself).
    Advertising can be as simple as leaflet drops to websites and newspaper adverts. Start small and build it up.
    Don't underestimate the value of word of mouth, it tripled my business.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to DaddySingh For This Useful Post:

PuppyGuts  (06-12-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I actually just sold my business
    I agree with everything DS has said re:ABN etc... will you need to set up a phone? i would stay away from newspapers/very expensive and not alot of return, letterbox drop is the best way to go, have you got reciepts ready to write people? a business account etc....even a FB page will help get word out.

Good luck!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Check what insurances you may need, talk to your accountant about myob or some kind of way to track your invoices/payments , will you need a business activity statement/gst ? Get some business cards/flyers printed up and start making friends with real estate agents/strata agents as we have regular work for cleaners, letterbox drops are a great idea and I like the local newspapers as that is where most locals look for cleaners, community notice boards etc... Good luck!

Buttoneska is offline Winner 2010- Most Community Minded Thread Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    what state are you in?

Thanks
    Reviews
    My dh and I own a cleaning company (started as a sole trader business though) and one of the first things we realized we would need is public liability insurance, especially if your interested in getting commercial contracts : ) please pm if you have any other questions as we only went through all of this about 2 years ago so it's pretty fresh!! Good luck : )

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Bla81 For This Useful Post:

DaddySingh  (06-12-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    You need to start by doing your research before you start asking questions.

You can kick this by reading a few books on the subject which will cover the fundamental basic such as the multiple insurances you will need, ABN, registration of business name or company depending on what business structure you choose, related expenses (such as vehicle, commercial vehicle registration as you cannot use your car for a business on a non commercial rego), registration for the GST if you intend to claim and/or charge this, licences (eg. if you intend to work with dangerous substances or in dangerous areas) and required bookkeeping for taxation and declaration purposes. Among other things as there is more to consider but the aforementioned are the basics.

How to Organise and Operate a Business in Australia by J. English is a good book to kick off with. He explains things in detail but simply.

Another recommendation I would make would be to obtain the services of an accountant. You can obtain one via a business education centre in your state or territory or have one recommended to you by a friend. Word of mouth is always a good idea when looking for a small business accountant. If you choose a bookkeeper, keep in mind that there are now licensing requirements for bookies now so you need to check this.

When you have this covered then you can start talking about advertising and the like. But you have a lot of work to do before that.

Good luck
    Last edited by InBetween; 06-12-2011 at 13:26. Reason: added book recommendation

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by InBetween View Post
    You need to start by doing your research before you start asking questions.

You can kick this by reading a few books on the subject which will cover the fundamental basic such as the multiple insurances you will need, ABN, registration of business name or company depending on what business structure you choose, related expenses (such as vehicle, commercial vehicle registration as you cannot use your car for a business on a non commercial rego), registration for the GST if you intend to claim and/or charge this, licences (eg. if you intend to work with dangerous substances or in dangerous areas) and required bookkeeping for taxation and declaration purposes. Among other things as there is more to consider but the aforementioned are the basics.

How to Organise and Operate a Business in Australia by J. English is a good book to kick off with. He explains things in detail but simply.

Another recommendation I would make would be to obtain the services of an accountant. You can obtain one via a business education centre in your state or territory or have one recommended to you by a friend. Word of mouth is always a good idea when looking for a small business accountant. If you choose a bookkeeper, keep in mind that there are now licensing requirements for bookies now so you need to check this.

When you have this covered then you can start talking about advertising and the like. But you have a lot of work to do before that.

Good luck
    I started my business the exact opposite way - just kicked it off, got some clients then worked out the rest.

My biggest tip would be not to let things get out of hand - E.g. I do my own weekly & monthly accounting & have an accountant do my EOY stuff - but sometimes it might go weeks before I get around to even logging into MYOB, let alone doing anything in it! The only thing that forces me is that I run a fortnightly payroll & my staff would be annoyed if I didn't!! As a small business it's easy to whack all your expense receipts in a special box & "get to them later". This is now the definition of a nightmare for me. Good luck!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I started my business the exact opposite way - just kicked it off, got some clients then worked out the rest.
    I hate to sound as though I'm poo-pooing on another person's enthusiasm. I, too, would love to say yeah, just kick off and see how it goes.

But it's illegal. And a very serious offence if you happen to be receiving any kind of benefit or tax consideration.

I've watched unsuspecting people who kick off just as you have and receive a nasty surprise in the mail from the ATO. Someone's either dobbed them in, lodged a query or their tax return has raised a flag. Their response is always "but I didn't know!" to which the ATO invariably replies "too bad..you didn't declare and now you owe us $$$$$.."

While it is relatively easy to start a business in Australia there are some serious obligations we need to be mindful of. To that end, they are ignored at your peril and it would be remiss of me not to mention them to someone who asks.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by InBetween View Post
    I hate to sound as though I'm poo-pooing on another person's enthusiasm. I, too, would love to say yeah, just kick off and see how it goes.

But it's illegal. And a very serious offence if you happen to be receiving any kind of benefit or tax consideration.

I've watched unsuspecting people who kick off just as you have and receive a nasty surprise in the mail from the ATO. Someone's either dobbed them in, lodged a query or their tax return has raised a flag. Their response is always "but I didn't know!" to which the ATO invariably replies "too bad..you didn't declare and now you owe us $$$$$.."

While it is relatively easy to start a business in Australia there are some serious obligations we need to be mindful of. To that end, they are ignored at your peril and it would be remiss of me not to mention them to someone who asks.
    Hmmm - at no point did I suggest she do any dealings under the table or engage in otherwise illegal practices?! I declare all my business earnings to the ATO, always have done.

However, if she is starting as a sole trader, all she needs is an ABN to get started. Anything else, while good, is not strictly necessary. Even getting an ABN can be done after a business has commenced - the ABN questionaire asks if the business has already started trading, & it is one of the qualifying factors.

Sorry if my original post offended you - I merely highlighted our different approaches, both of which are legal and valid.