+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default So confused about solids

Ok, I am utterly lost.
    So DD weighed at a massive 7.6 kg's at her 4mths app. So the mhn suggested we start solids and was more than happy to.

So mhn gave me a rough guide on how to start; start with baby ceral for a few days, then introduce some apple, then a few days later introduce some carrot and every couple of days introduce something new.

She also suggested once I'm about 10 days or so in, I could start giving 2 courses per meal, 3 times a day.

Which is all fine. Where I'm lost is how much is 1 course???
    The mch said "start" cereal at just a teaspoon or so, but on the box it says 2.5 tbsp and 90ml of water! I mixed this up once and it was a massive amount!
    Should I be offering this much?

And I read somewhere to make food portions up in ice cube tray, so does 1 cube equal 1 course or is it more like 2 or 3?

I have no idea at all!!

Also at what point do introduce water?

Any help would be appreciated so much! I really need someone to tell me what to do!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I did it all by ice cubes. Started with one and then gradually built up every week as I thought he needed it. Now DS has five tablespoons of cereal etc, four times a day!
    Hope this helps

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Mely I'm in the same boat. I started off with vegetable then fruit. I steam the vegetable add a bit of water then blend so it's nice and smooth. I then put in Ice tray and it's so convenient.
    I give her breaky and dinner for now. I started on 1 teas once a day then 2 then 1 tablespoon and now 2 cubes a day. Does that even make sense sorry have bub in one arm and I'm on iPhone lol.
    I'm still building on food though today is pumpkin and apple. I'm just building slow might even start offering 3 times a day reading some of these replies.
    Last edited by LoCo; 06-12-2011 at 08:55.

Thanks
    Reviews
    it sure does sound tricky! How confusing.
    I followed my baby's cues with both my second and third child. So when they started grabbing at my food and really wanting to give it a go, I let them. If they grabbed a carrot stick, then that is what they got, if they ate some, goodo, if not, no worries. If they wanted more, they got more, if they didnt, that was fine too.
    I have three big, strong, healthy girls so really I think all these rules about feeding and whatnot are just crazy. Watch your baby, offer healthy choices, and Id recommend looking up baby lead solids.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to LotusMum For This Useful Post:

Smiley Face  (06-12-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks for all replies! It does help make things a bit clearer.
    Was gonna hold off on the baby led weaning, as she doesn't have any teeth at the moment.....or can they do it with no teeth?

I read that a lot of parents give weetbix for breakky....is this better than baby cereal then?

I seriously think this is one of the most confusing periods so far!

Thanks
    Reviews
    apart from weight, is your baby actually ready to eat food yet? Has she shown signs of food readiness?
    And no, you dont need teeth to eat. Having bub on your lap while you eat dinner and allowing them to have some mashed potato is fine, or making up a plate of what you are having (that is safe), and allowing her to explore the texture, the taste, and the fun of food is an awesome way to start...although messy lol. Honestly though, Im not sure how that would work for a 4 month old, I waited until my girls were sitting, and really showing very obvious signs on wanting to eat, so 8 months for the middle girl, and 6 months for my last daughter.
    The saying, food until one is just for fun seemed to work for us.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to LotusMum For This Useful Post:

Berrie  (06-12-2011),Smiley Face  (06-12-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    We started BLW at 6 months with no teeth! They use their gums ( which are quite strong) just make sure the food is not to hard, most babies don't start getting their molars or chewing teeth until after 1 anyway so they mainly use their gums to chew. We started with steamed broccoli cut into pieces but still with their stalks so he could hold them, plus roasted carrot and sweet potato cut into thin strips and I made my own cereal , just puffed quinoa or millet from the health food shop with some pear/banana and formula

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Elijahs Mum For This Useful Post:

LotusMum  (06-12-2011),Smiley Face  (06-12-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi mellyjane

I started ds(12mths) on solids @ 4.5mths as he was also ready and over 7.8kgs lol. I didn't really follow the slow introduction of each food a week. I kind of just tried all different things (veg, fruit, rice & oats) but made a note of what I gave him in case of allergy or intolorences. I found the wholesomebabyfood website a great guide into what types of foods to start introducing. With portions, I just follow baby's lead (it does end up being about 1 ice cube at first which is approx 2 tbl spoons?).

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Smiley Face For This Useful Post:

LoCo  (06-12-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    LotusMum, DD is definitely ready. She has been watching us eat with envy since about 3 months and reaching out to grab food.

The mhn also said there has been new research put out by the RCH in melb this year, saying that delaying solids till 6 mths increases the risk of allergies.....

Today, she grabbed the spoon out of my hand and licked the purée off the spoon!

Maybe I'll try the BLW then and see how we go with that....

Thanks
    Reviews
    How are you going with the solids? The recommendations USED to be to wait until 6 months, but that has changed - currently, 'they' say to introduce solids between 4 - 6 months. Many many cultures around the world use rice cereal as a first food, by grounding their own rice. If you don't like the idea of using store-bought rice cereal, you could make your own if you want. Generally people like to give rice cereal because it's fairly tasteless, so mixed with the child's normal milk, it's just like having thick milk. If you don't want to give rice cereal, pureed fruits or veg are also a great first food. I think BLW isn't recommended before 6 months, but I might be wrong there? Good luck with it all!