+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Foster care in Queensland

Hi there
    I am interested in doing pre adoption foster care and possibly short term care of baby's up to 2 yrs.
    I have read all the other posts on here.
    But was after information based on Queensland.
    Which organisation is the better one to go through?

We are from New Zealand and have been here since August.
    I believe with our experiences with sharing children ( children to our first marriages), having kids coming and going, being a step parent and having a blended family will give us some preparation as to some of the things involved with being a foster parent.
    I also did gestational surrogacy last year ( which ended in a BFN), so we have the understanding and compassion that comes with being involved in such a sensitive situation, that is adoption. With dealing with birth mother and intended parents.

I know we don't know everything, but we are open to learn as much as we can along the way.

So any information that anyone could share with this kind of thing, would be greatly appreciated.
    Especially who to get in touch with.

Thanks in advance.
    Tania

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi purple dragon,

Im in Melbourne and about to attend a foster care training session so not much help being in another state but wanted to wish you all the best. I hope it all goes well.

Cheers, Macks

Ps - good on you for being a gs.....you must be a wonderful person to that.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Im a qld carer with IFYS (Integrated family and youth services). We have cared for 20 kids from 0-5yr in 3 years as well as give birth to my own two kids in that time. Some kids we had for a few days, weeks, months & one for a year. We have had mostly indigenous or mixed race children. Our youngest (the one we had for a year) was 10days old.

Good on you for thinking of being part of this massive, political, challenging and rewarding system

Fire away with any specific 's!

Sent from my GT-I9100 using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Wow what awesome people you are to help out in such an amazing way. Thank you for sharing your journey

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by breakthemould View Post
    Im a qld carer with IFYS (Integrated family and youth services). We have cared for 20 kids from 0-5yr in 3 years as well as give birth to my own two kids in that time. Some kids we had for a few days, weeks, months & one for a year. We have had mostly indigenous or mixed race children. Our youngest (the one we had for a year) was 10days old.

Good on you for thinking of being part of this massive, political, challenging and rewarding system

Fire away with any specific 's!

Hey
    Wondering if there is a limit on the age of your own children?? Do they have to be a certain age before you can be a foster carer??

Thanks
    Reviews
    Subscribing

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by PurpleButterfly4 View Post
    Hey
    Wondering if there is a limit on the age of your own children?? Do they have to be a certain age before you can be a foster carer??

hi! not that Im aware of. We took kids in throughout my whole pregnancy and started again when DS was just 5 weeks old. we went 'offline' when DD was born 6mnths ago but this week are 'online' (available) again so will see how we go!

When you are called about a child and put your name forward you and anyone else who also said yes will be chosen between by a placement manager in Child Safety. So if someone else has different aged children in the house who suit the prospective foster child better then they would be approved for that particular placement.

Hope that made sense? breatfeeding one-armed as I type!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Ok thanks for the info.
    I'm not looking to do it just right now but maybe in a couple years as then my DS be older & be able to understand a better about the fostering.
    I think I would do respite to make sure I can handle it 1st though.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by breakthemould View Post
    hi! not that Im aware of. We took kids in throughout my whole pregnancy and started again when DS was just 5 weeks old. we went 'offline' when DD was born 6mnths ago but this week are 'online' (available) again so will see how we go!

When you are called about a child and put your name forward you and anyone else who also said yes will be chosen between by a placement manager in Child Safety. So if someone else has different aged children in the house who suit the prospective foster child better then they would be approved for that particular placement.

Hope that made sense? breatfeeding one-armed as I type!

How old are your kids now?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Breakthemould how old are your kids??