+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Zoloft, depressions ans TTC

Hi,

I hope someone out there has some advice for me.

I am am about to try to conceive through a sperm donor. He has bought his tickets and arrives in town in a week and a half. My partner and I have been waiting for this for a year!

But... I have been feeling awful for a while and have just been diagnosed with depression.

How I feel has really been effecting my life. I have had killer headaches all the time and have no interest in anything much anymore. I worry constantly and cannot function at work.

I told the doctor my pregnancy plans and that I was going to be pregnant very soon (with any "luck") and she said that that would be a good thing - but I'm not sure how lucky I would be now.

Even knowing my plans to conceive, the doctor prescribed me Zoloft (I bought the no-name brand). She also advised me I should talk to someone and this will help.

I have been dreadful for the last few days, constantly worrying about taking these pills. I looked them up and there is alot online about birth defects etc. But there is also alot (in these forums even) of discussion by women who claim they took the drug and their babies were fine.

The problem I think is that I feel like I have a choice to make -look after myself or go ahead with our plans.

And I can't do both without taking these drugs.

I haven't even been using deodorant with Aluminum in it for 6 months because I was worried about this future baby.

I don't know if I can knowingly take something that might harm the baby and then get pregnant. It feels irresponsible.

But then I don't want to put a stop to this dream me (and my partner) have had for so long - cus that feels hopeless and depress me even more.

Any advice would be soooo appreciated.

I'm seeing the doctor again on thursday, but I can't stop worrying about this!

Rutabaga is offline Getting it together, one day at a time.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Not sure about zoloft, but I've been on cipramil for 3 yrs. Was worried about not taking it during TTC and pregnancy, but my FS was quite happy for me to continue with it. Is there any chance you could be prescribed a medication with less risks?
    You could also try accupuncture or massage to relieve tension and possibly reduce your headaches.
    I find that being active makes me feel noticably better, especially if I'm outside.
    Last thing. I was taking a multi B tablet daily before starting cipramil, and really did find that it reduced my depression to a level I could make my life work with. I had more energy and didn't feel as overwhelmed. When I started seeing FS she told me to stop the multi B, but I intend to start taking it again after bub. So it's just something to keep in mind.

Good luck, and have faith that it will all work out in the end!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks Katherinelouise.

That's very reassuring. I spoke to my prescribing GP who said it was fine and my choice if I didn't want to take the meds while I'm pregnant and see how I go.

I am comfortable enough with what I have read to understand that risks aren't high enough to risk my own mental health and that that can cause bubs harm too. So I will see how I go.

It's good to know other people have to go though similar situations.

Rutabaga is offline Getting it together, one day at a time.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I'm so glad you've come to a decision you're feeling good about.

Good luck with the conception, I hope it all goes smoothly and you get a bfp!
    Remember that as much as everyone is unique, there will always be someone who has been in a similar situation and can help you.