+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    We are actually thinking of moving to Tassie too. Im mostly curious about the cost of living etc. Im so OVER the climate of WA and want to have a decent garden year round. I love the idea of being self sufficient but the weather probably would make solar electicity the wrong choice right??
    Sorry to highjack the thread but id like info too!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Yeah cost of living is high - groceries, petrol and electricity are sky-high. Definitely a negative.

Buttoneska is offline Winner 2010- Most Community Minded Thread Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Majestic Hiss View Post
    Yeah cost of living is high - groceries, petrol and electricity are sky-high. Definitely a negative.
    how much is petrol? and whats your average grocery bill?

is the cost of living higher then melbourne?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Janesmum123 View Post
    For me it's just boring and bogan. Not in a cute way either.
    This lol.

We are only here because it's cheap. The cost of living is extremely cheap for us but we are from NZ so maybe that's it. We live in a small town out of Launceston and yes, it is Bogan. There are nice parts of Tassie and it's a great place to raise kids I think. But I'd definitely rather live somewhere on the mainland. For me it's the shopping (I love shopping!) and the trouble we've had making friends. Everyone is really clicky here and unless you grew up here, it's really hard to make friends. But that could just be us.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Buttoneska View Post
    how much is petrol? and whats your average grocery bill?

is the cost of living higher then melbourne?
    I imagine it is. We have no Aldi here either so it's just Woolies/Coles or IGA.

Petrol I think is around 1.50 a litre for premium unleaded? I don't even look at the price, it's just depressing.

Groceries - these are from my receipt for today's shop (Woolies)

Homebrand lemonade 1.5 l- $0.95
    Dozen free range eggs -$5.99
    500g homebrand tasty cheese -$4.50
    Peanut butter (no added salt) - $4.05
    Cadbury blocks 2 x 200g - $6.98
    1l grapeseed oil - $9.39
    Toilet paper x 24 pack - $11

Hth

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Majestic Hiss View Post
    I imagine it is. We have no Aldi here either so it's just Woolies/Coles or IGA.

Petrol I think is around 1.50 a litre for premium unleaded? I don't even look at the price, it's just depressing.

Groceries - these are from my receipt for today's shop (Woolies)

Homebrand lemonade 1.5 l- $0.95
    Dozen free range eggs -$5.99
    500g homebrand tasty cheese -$4.50
    Peanut butter (no added salt) - $4.05
    Cadbury blocks 2 x 200g - $6.98
    1l grapeseed oil - $9.39
    Toilet paper x 24 pack - $11

Hth
    Seems identical to what we pay out here in a regional area of the mainland.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Regular unleaded petrol is currently at 149.9 for the majority of stations.

Groceries, well, we're a family of 5 and I spend no more then $150 per week on groceries, just depends on what types of foods you buy and how much, really!

Solar power is doable here IF your house is in a good spot in the right type if area. It wouldn't be great here where I am due to fog levels in winter, but there are many houses around here with solar panels still, you just need a big system rather than a small one

**I can haz typos?**

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Lillynix For This Useful Post:

jennibear  (05-12-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Bumping a bit here in case it helps someone. We have lived here for three years started up our on business having moved from the Gold Coast. Sometimes it can be frustrating because there are limitations on services (not a lot of competition) or the quality of for instance panel beating/car body work isn't great and is really expensive but over all it is amazing, we explore all the time, there are so many free and interesting things to do, the towns and beaches are amazing and tehre is natural beauty everywhere. I can grow food (never coudl in Qld with that nasty weather) the fruit and veg is great and there are heaps of roadside stalls/markets about the place to help keep costs down. I bought three hens from a poultry farm for $5 each and 18 months later they are still keeping me in lovely free range eggs. We go to the free museum and the local parks with the kiddies (they love Launceston's City Park with the monkeys) and there are heaps of places to eat out. There are bogans but they are "advanced" bogans like on the Gold Coast just kind of simple and toothless and dumb (anyone guess my prejudice?). I never want to go back to the mainland, just go to different places in Tas! The weather is better than a lot of places and there are actual seasons and they are beautiful. There is so much history and gorgeous architecture!!