+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Birth story - my beautiful boy William

My husband and i had waited 6 years before trying for a baby - I was saving up my leave at work and we were already pretty busy having his children from a previous relationship full time to look after (DD 14 / DD 12 / DS 11). I had been in the family since the youngest was 4, so we are a proper family, kids call me mum (they just started doing it one day, not forced or suggested at all

So in August of 2010 I decided it was time, DH was 33 and I was 24 and the time was right. I thought it was going to take a while but I found out that I was pregnant early November 2010!

Beautiful pregnancy, had a little bit of evening sickness as opposed to morning sickness but aside from that everything was perfect. Baby had huge feet and we could tell he/she was going to be a big one!

I was going to give birth at our local private hospital, completely drug free, and have a water birth. It was going to be so perfect!

I was counting down the days till I finished work, as I have until mid 2014 off on leave. I had 9 days left at work when I went to a routine checkup at 35 wks with my obst. He does a quick scan each visit with his patients just to check everything is hunky dory.

I went in, lay back on the bed he asked me how everything was going, I said really good. He started the scan and said "oh no...." at this point my heart dropped. A lady at work had recently had a stillborn and that's all I could think of.... Her heartbreak after carrying her beautiful little bubba to full term and then having to say goodbye .... I asked what was wrong but I saw - the cord was looped around baby's neck quite a few times. (I blame myself sometimes, for all of the stretching, swimming etc that I did to try and turn this breech baby around) Dr said that he hadn't seen this more than once in his 20 yrs as an obst. He said that the cord was around baby's neck at least 3 times and as baby was still in breech he was at risk of trying to turn to engage and knotting the cord.... He gave me two options - have an emerg c sect or continue with the pregnancy to full term but potentially losing bub..... There was no two ways about it. My baby was going to be a little bit prem but as long as he was here, in my arms and alive I didn't care.

This is all a bit hazy now as I was in a tremendous amount of shock. I paid for my appt, then went up to maternity ward to be admitted. He had done up a quick letter and called so they were expecting me. They had to get the steroid needle ready to give me so I went out onto the balcony to call my husband who was interstate. When I heard his voice is the moment I dropped my bundle and melted. The nurse came back onto the balcony to give me my needle and gave me lots of cuddles. I had never felt so alone and scared. I felt like a pathetic crying mess and so silly for having a meltdown in front of this stranger! (My husband had a flight back home arranged before I left the hospital so that reassured me. Luckily that stupid ash cloud had dispersed!)

The nurse confirmed that I was to have bubs on the Thursday 23 June so I had 2 nights of bed rest in hospital before the birth. They let me go home and collect my bags. Luckily I am über organised and had my bags packs from 30 weeks mum and dad both rushed from work to my house and gave me big cuddles. Our dog Lucy knew something was up and was following us through the house from outside, one window to another.

Mum drove me back to hospital and I was shown to my room. The nurses came around and did 4 hourly checks on my blood pressure and listened to bubs heartbeat with a doppler. I had my sisters and friend come to visit me that night bringing flowers, choccie and magazines. Oh and they gave me a pedicure and manicure as well because that was one of the things I was going to indulge in during the couple of weeks I had between working and having bubs.

Fast forward to 6pm Thursday 23 June. I was in a lovely hospital gown and my husband was in some really sexy scrubs. I was naked under the gown and being wheeled through the corridors to theatre and it was spectacular - my colostrum came in with a vengeance and completely soaked the front of the gown?! My body knew that something was up..... It was amazing.

I gave birth (yes I still struggle to call it giving birth because it was completely not the way I was supposed to give birth). But it was a boy, he was beautiful had hair and beautiful red rosy cheeks straight away. Weighed 2.7kg and 45.4cm long so was a decent size. Strong little fella didn't have to be hooked up to any machines and was breathing by himself straight away so I was able to have a cuddle immediately I was then wheeled into recovery and hubby took William through to the special care nursery.

We were in hospital for 12 days, he took to bfing like a fish to water but because he was prem he got tired very easily do had to have tube top ups - completely of breast milk though. Those 12 days sucked and I just wanted my baby at home out of the crappy air-conditioning and away from people telling me how to look after my baby. But the help I received during those days is so greatly appreciated.

William is 5 months old now and weighs in at 7.68kg and is 72.5cm long! I am so proud of him and being a mother is an absolute joy!

Hope you enjoyed reading - it is quite long!

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Whitman For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    thanks for sharing your lovely birth story!! how scary that must have been for you. hugs

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Thankyou for sharing sounds like a beautiful story if somewhat of a surprise and I am so glad it all turned out ok for you :hugs;

Rutabaga is offline Getting it together, one day at a time.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Wow. You have an amazing story and I'm so glad everything turned out perfectly. Thankyou for sharing it. I'm not pregnant but am trying, and I've often thought about what I'd do if dp was away at work when I needed him. I think you're incredibly tough to have gotten through that time until he could get home!

Hope your family had a wonderful Christmas

Thanks
    Reviews
    Congratulations on the birth of your precious baby boy. What a tough situation & decision to make, and I'm so glad it turned out well after all

Sent from my iPhone, using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Reviews
    Congratulations! William sounds like a darling little trooper

Sent from my iPhone using Bub Hub app

Thanks
    Reviews
    aww how beautiful.. so glad everything is going well.. sadly sometimes the births we plan dont quite turn out as expected.. but thank goodness bub was safe.. As for 1st 12 days, it does suck having bub in hospital.. upsets everything bonding and all...my little one went home 1 day shy of a month it was only taking him home that i felt like i could start to get to know him!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Congratulations!! What a hard situation to be in. Thank you for sharing your story!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    So glad everything turned out ok!!