+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Questions about Egg Donation

Hello,

Sorry if this is posted in the wrong place. I have a few questions regarding egg donation, but I have no clue about it and would like to hear what other people have to say before I speak to a clinic etc. about it.

At the beginning of the year I had 19 eggs retrieved and frozen prior to undertaking treatment for an illness. By doing this, it ensured that in the event that my eggs were harmed in the process, I would have some healthy eggs on hand. However, things have happened and I won't be able to use them. So.. I thought that maybe I could donate them.. so here are my Q's - excuse my ignorance.

1. How old do you have to be to donate? I'm eighteen.

2. Are you actually allowed to donate frozen eggs, or can you only donate them when you're actually having them retrieved etc?

3. Do you donate them ALL to the same person?

4. Are you allowed to meet the people you are donating them to beforehand?

5. How long does it take to go through the donation process - A few days, weeks, months? I'd love to know so I know how fast I need to act.

6. If I'm not old enough/takes too long, are you able to have some sort of 'order' to donate the eggs even after you have passed (sorry, morbid question).

I had more... but that's all I can remember at the moment - I'll add to my list if they come back to me :P

I understand that each clinic has their own method of things, but what has been your experience/understanding of the above questions? Any help would be appreciated so so much.

Last edited by greeneyes90; 04-12-2011 at 11:27.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

1. How old do you have to be to donate? I'm eighteen.

This would probably vary from state to state but if they've been retrieved (usually the part the doctors don't like putting younger people through) I don't think it should be an issue, there may be counseling though

2. Are you actually allowed to donate frozen eggs, or can you only donate them when you're actually having them retrieved etc?

As far as I'm aware frozen is fine many couples donate after they've frozen their own and are finished their journey

You're allowed to donate to a few families but there is a cap (to prevent there being too many siblings out there)

Depends on how you arrange things, you can meet a family (there are many lovely hubbers who would really appreciate such a gift) or you can probably donate anonymously if you prefer

5. How long does it take to go through the donation process - A few days, weeks, months? I'd love to know so I know how fast I need to act.

That would probably vary depending on the clinic I'd make a few phone calls.

6. If I'm not old enough/takes too long, are you able to have some sort of 'order' to donate the eggs even after you have passed (sorry, morbid question).

You can make a request in your will/ living will same as any other organ donation/ wishes in general

Those are just my thoughts/ general understanding I may yet be corrected it's an amazing gift you're considering giving xx

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi Greeneyes,
    Firstly, what an amazing young lady you are, to have had your own problems but are still thinking of helping others

1. How old do you have to be to donate?
    It does vary from state - where are you based? They really want donors to of completed their own families 1st, but yours is a very sad story.
    You would have to undergo counselling.

Do check with a clinic, as most ladies have frozen embryos, rather than frozen eggs....i think. Im not sure how the defrosting of them & then having to undergo isci - how they would cope????

No - upto 10 couples are able to benefit, no more.

Absolutely, if you want to. I personally think its important to ensure your eggs are going to a loving couple who will love & cherish such a gift. You have to remember that in SA once the child reaches 18yrs they have the right to know where they came from. But it is something that you can discuss with your potential recipient

Usually it takes upto 3m, some clinics like to stretch it out to 6m - to give the donor time to change their mind should they so wish.

ooh you are morbid, lets hope not!! But yes get a will organised.

This is an amazing site, with wonderful ladies. There is also AED site to look at they have a specific site for potential egg donors where you can really get a feel what its all about.
    Good luck with everything, I so hope you get the answers you are searching for.

Ice xx
    Last edited by ice maiden; 07-12-2011 at 20:10.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi,

Thank you both for responding to my post with such informative answers! It's much appreciated and it has made me more comfortable with going ahead with this. Not only am I wishing to do this because I'd love for someone else to have the opportunity to have kids who otherwise couldn't, but also because I'd be happy to know that while I couldn't have the life I desired, my eggs (who I already think of as my babies) can. :-) And your answers have definitely made me feel better about doing it! So thanks again.

I have another Q though - why is it 'harder' to fertilise a frozen egg, and then transfer, rather than a frozen embryo?

Ice, could you give me the web address/url or whatever it is to the site you were talking about please? :-)

Thanks xx

Thanks
    Reviews
    Re your questions re eggs - for some reason eggs by themselves don't seem to survive the thawing process (as my hubby calls it) as well as embryos. That's why lots of people freeze with donor sperm or their partners sperm if possible. Hopefully though you would get some to survive the process and I believe it is better the younger you are when The freezing happens.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I help run a site called Egg Donation Australia and it is run by donors to promote information about anything and everything to do with egg donation, its like this one but we dont go into the parenting sector. There is a minefield of info there for everyone and hope to see you there as well

Thanks
    Reviews
    I had egg donation in South Africa and they freeze the eggs not embies, they do not seem to have a problem.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi
    Greeneyes
    I hope you doing well ,! I just found this thread I am sorry for your sad story but I can tel you, you are such amazing young lady for thinking to help some one else to have a baby it is just a gift for live and love I wish you a best of luck to find your real recipient I am sure they will be in your debt! for ever .
    Good Luck.
    Crescent.
    __________________________________________________ _________________
    Me(42).
    Dh(47)
    Due to a cruel twist of fate early menopause we can not fulfill our dream .Now our only hope is through a compassionate person donating an egg, so we praying to find you angel egg donor hopefully soon