+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Miss skittles this is a terrible situation. As an experienced health professional I find it extremely unusual that you would be denied surgery based on a risk of birth defects. It would be up to you to sign a consent form with the understanding there is risk involved. I can't stress enough how important I think it is you seek further advice on this potentially from a lawyer. If you have made your decision then no probs but if you don't want to terminate based on a possibility then I would be fighting for your right to treatment. It is possible to take precautions when exposed to radiation in tests when you are pregnant and surgery alone doesn't necessarily cause probs to a baby. The explanations you are being given just dont seem good enough when your outcome is so drastic. I say this out of concern for you as I have had a medically necessary termination and it is a devastating thing to live with, you need to have as much information as you can before making a choice like this. I still think you should explore medication as it can be a very manageable alternative and could get you through the next 7 months until you could deliver your baby. I would hate to see anyone in a situation like this due to misinformation.

Thanks
    Reviews
    And can I also stress that no one can make a decision as to whether you have a baby with disabilities other than you. They absolutely cannot deny treatment because they are concerned you would then want to continue the pregnancy if there were problems. I work in health ethics as well and I can say this for certain.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Angelmummy, brain surgery OFTEN uses radiation ie to locate sites within the brain. I'm not sure why you needed a lung test OP but depending on what sort, CT, nuclear med, that will also expose the baby to large amounts of radiation. And wearing lead over the abdomen won't protect from internal scatter so that doesn't help much. I can unfortunately see why the surgeons won't operate while pregnant as even if the op signs something saying she knows the risks she can still turn around and sue later. It's terrible but unfortunately any product of our litigious lifestyles that doctors are now too scared to take risks like that.

As far as medications go, I'm sure the op has tried many different meds but of courses these can also cause severe birth defects.

Op, I'm so sorry you have to do this. Of course you don't have to terminate but if you decide to, you know you are doing the best thing for yourself and any future babies. It's no use having a baby if her mum is dead or brain damaged from hypoxia or an injury while you have a seizure.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to 4underfour For This Useful Post:

Sparklydreamer  (04-12-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Angelmummy82 View Post
    Why would you be exposed to radiation during neurosurgery? I am a nurse and this sounds pretty unusual given many people undergo surgery whilst pregnant without any probs for the baby? If you are going to have to terminate wouldn't it be better to have the surgery first and then only terminate if it has caused probs for bub? I don't want to cause you anymore grief but it just sounds like an odd way to proceed, terminating because there could be problems rather than because there are problems. There are anti-epileptics that are safe during pregnancy too, have they discussed these options with you?
    I don't actually know much about missSkittles personal situation, but I just wanted to say that neurosurgery is different to most surgery and is highly specific, even to different types of conditions (brain tumur, epilespy etc). So I don't think it is about the radiation during the surgery (like I said, don't know missSkittles situation) but I do know that for epilepsy you need to do images within 24 hours prior to the surgery. This means injecting the person with radiation so that it runs through all of their veins, in some cases provoking an attack to get the exact part of the brain you are about to remove. You can't even go near someone who has had this injected into their body if you are a child or pregnant, so they would not inject it into someone who is actually pregnant themselves.

With radiation you can't always tell what deformities have occured but they can be horrific and internal.

I can't comment on whether she could keep the baby and still have epilepsy because I don't know anything about her, but I just wanted to add what little I know about having brain surgery, that the doctors have a good reason not to perform a surgery which involves radiation and taking out a part of someones brain on a pregnant woman. And you can't always consent to something no matter what, the doctors can refuse to operate on her if they think it will do more harm than good.

eta... brain surgery is also risky. What if she can't consent to an abortion if the operation goes wrong?
    Last edited by TinyLittleTootsies; 04-12-2011 at 15:34.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TinyLittleTootsies For This Useful Post:

PomPoms  (04-12-2011),Sparklydreamer  (04-12-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I agree these decisions are often about risk of litigation as sad as that is. I would suggest seeing a neurosurgeon at a catholic governed hospital if you want to try all your options first. I have seen time and time again medical professionals leading people to make decisions that are in the best interest of the hospital rather than that individual person. There are some gaps in this story that are concerning.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I offered to sign consent and what not...just incase...
    They still wouldn't and have made surgery 6 weeks from now to let me get over one thing at a time.

As for the lung test.... I had to give 5 viles of blood...have a heart rate test and lung test all in the pre admission clinic... They wouldn't allow due to radiation.
    I also needed a MRI.
    Wouldn't allow it :-(

Thanks
    Reviews
    It's okay.

I have come to terms with the decision...
    What I have to do for my health and the child's... The child will return to me one day hopefully... And then I'll have memory ( I have memory problems due to this lesion ) and be healthy and able to watch my son/daughter grow up and remember it.

There probably is some gaps but I know what's needed right now... And that's to get my health in amazing order and hopefully have this angel returned..trust me...I spent hours and HOURS sitting and thinking...about this.
    I'm 23.. I need to be healthy... I have seizures crossing a road... Imagine being pregnant or WITH my child :-(
    I have 3-5 a week :-(

But thank you all SO much...
    Your advice, your love and support is amazing!!! :-) xx
    Last edited by MissSkittles; 04-12-2011 at 16:03.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Could not read and not give you some .

Please treat the OP with kindness and understanding!

Sparklydreamer is offline I might lack sleep, but I can dream...
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Good luck with your surgery.