+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    FearlessLeader is offline Winner 2013 - Most Memorable Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    does he still have 2 day sleeps? I found once DS moved to 1 sleep, he slept in much longer in the morning. you could try pushing his morning nap later, it may help push his whole day a bit later. So if he's going down for his morning nap at 8, slowly push it to 9-9.30. You could even try this if he only has one nap, i'm guessing he goes down pretty early if he's waking up at that time!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by FearlessLeader View Post
    does he still have 2 day sleeps? I found once DS moved to 1 sleep, he slept in much longer in the morning. you could try pushing his morning nap later, it may help push his whole day a bit later. So if he's going down for his morning nap at 8, slowly push it to 9-9.30. You could even try this if he only has one nap, i'm guessing he goes down pretty early if he's waking up at that time!
    Works for some. Mine had no day sleep and was up between 4 & 5 and still is. Today at 4.40am we were discussing our christmas plans.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by mygirlindi View Post
    May I ask what is the wake to sleep method? I also have an early riser but he sleeps poorly overnight so I'm just constantly tired
    Yea it is if you have a bub that is waking at around the same time every night/morning (inappropriate time) and you just lightly wake them but just enough so that they don't completely wake and they go straight back to sleep. You do it 1 hour before the wake up time for 3 days. If it still does not work then you continue for a week. I did it when my DD was 12 months to stop her waking at 3am and it worked she is now 18 months and wakes between 4-5 so may do it again. Obviously this wouldn't be done with a younger bub that needs night feeds or something else just a habitual waker. The whole point is to reset the body clock.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    It's horrible isn't it?! I thought I succesfully pushed my DS out until 5-5.30 a few weeks back but now he is back to waking up at 4 Just goes to show how everchanging their sleep habbits are. He is also a fairly "good" night sleeper...just early waker.

Waking up and seeing 6am on the clock is my idea of heaven at the moment.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    My daughter has gone through periods like that. The only thing I can suggest is you treat it like a night feed. Maybe try a diluted bottle or water, don't leave his bedroom. Keep things dark and quiet and try putting him back down in 45 to an hour. This has worked for my DD. usually takes a few days to a week. Teaching him that it's still night time. Goodluck, you must be exhausted! Failing that maybe you could look at sleep schools in your area before he gets too old

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by blondekelli View Post
    My daughter has gone through periods like that. The only thing I can suggest is you treat it like a night feed. Maybe try a diluted bottle or water, don't leave his bedroom. Keep things dark and quiet and try putting him back down in 45 to an hour. This has worked for my DD. usually takes a few days to a week. Teaching him that it's still night time. Goodluck, you must be exhausted! Failing that maybe you could look at sleep schools in your area before he gets too old
    I do stick him straight on the boob and then rock/pat him for at least an hour - but it's hard on my back to rock him for too long after being in bed that long. It's like he is tired but not quite tired enough to go back to sleep.

Fearless I do also try pushing his morning nap out as far as I can. I think though he might be ready for one nap a day - I've been thinking this for a while actually but I think I might try the wake-to-sleep method first as it is soo nice him having two naps a day.

If it's just how it is and he wakes at 4am I'll just have to deal with it - really DS has gone from being the worst sleeper ever to being pretty good so I'm trying not to be greedy and expect a perfect sleeper! At least I get a decent chunk of sleep in a row these days.
    Last edited by duckduckgoose; 04-12-2011 at 13:26.

Thanks
    Reviews
    If your LO wakes up too early and is blatantly tired can yout get them up then put them back down about 60 mins later?
    At times mine (18months) wakes with the sun, before 5!!! Neither he nor I are happy about it ( we ar not before 6 kind of people) but we just can't get straight back to sleep. So we get up, startr the day. He's so cranky within an hour that I can almost always but his back to sleep for an hour or two. And then I can go back to sleep as well!
    But I do agree that you can teach them that it's night time and they learn that you cannot get up with the birds, but it's blo0dy hard work.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Both my kids rise really early. I think the birds in the reserve across the road start around 4.30!!! Sometimes I wonder if double glazing is the key??

My DS seems to rise at 5ish if he hasn't fed in the night. However, he sometimes wakes for a feed around 10/11 and if that happens, he'll sleep later - till about 6/6.30.

I know the books like babybliss don't recommend a dream feed at this age but it could be worth a try to fill his belly for that little bit of extra sleep...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Or you could go with it. It took a while, but once I took motice of how beautiful the sunrise is I really enjoyed being outside by 5am to see it and listen to the lorikeets in our tree.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by share a book View Post
    Or you could go with it. It took a while, but once I took motice of how beautiful the sunrise is I really enjoyed being outside by 5am to see it and listen to the lorikeets in our tree.
    I've seen enough sunrises and lorikeets before I had a babay haha! My outdoor job for the previous 5 years had me up at 4 or 5 every morning.