+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Just did a quick google search and loads came up including this

http://www.thefifthestate.com.au/archives/22080

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2010-05-1...-action/434436

BabushkaMumma is offline Mothering with my whole heart as thats what my girls have given me.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by kw123 View Post

Do some people still "not believe" in climate change? Hilarious! In my personal experience they are generally the same people who don't believe in evolution. Enough said. And no that is not a dig at religious beliefs - its about science.
    I'm sorry, but I just have to say that this is as laughable.

I'm one of 'those people' but I believe in climate change. Hopefully your personal experience widens.
    Last edited by BabushkaMumma; 08-12-2011 at 07:04.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I can appreciate the articles posted. However what I see and know with my own two eyes can't be changed. China is still the biggest emitter and until that's changed then maybe I can believe their articles. Many of my friends and contacts within China would agree.

Definitely not saying that Australia is doing fabulous re climate change though. It's such a massive debate and I can't see how this new scheme will benefit us. Does anyone have any links to research that shows a scheme like this would be proven to work??

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Sorry if I offended. I did mean most people i had met, not ALL people. My personal experience is wider than most though having travelled extensively and lived in four countries. But whatever.

In terms of China are they actually the biggest emitter per capita? Considering their population is over 1 billion or whatever it is, it is not surprising that they are the biggest emitter overall. Australia is minuscule population wise and I'm pretty sure it's per capita emissions must be above average thanks to mining and brown coal.

Ana Gram is offline 2008 WINNER - straight shooter award
    Winner 2008 & 2009 - Community Minded thread
    Winner 2009 - Mod Award - most passionate member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bambinos View Post
    Do you mean that you think China is doing more about tackling climate change? If so have you ever been to China?!? It's ridiculous to think they are 'moving forward' a la Julia Gillard. What they're doing over there is downright terrible! Averaging one or more new coal powered energy station opening per week!!!!

Much of my study for the last two years has been focused on China they are the biggest investor of green technology in the world and have succeeded in reducing their carbon emissions per capita last year (better than Australia), I don't have the figures on me though.

In terms of China are they actually the biggest emitter per capita? Considering their population is over 1 billion or whatever it is, it is not surprising that they are the biggest emitter overall. Australia is minuscule population wise and I'm pretty sure it's per capita emissions must be above average thanks to mining and brown coal.
    You are right, Australia is one of the biggest emitters per capita in the world. Top three I believe. Last time I checked it was something like 19.6%, China was 3.something.

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Ana Gram For This Useful Post:

kw123  (08-12-2011),Witwicky  (08-12-2011),wrena  (08-12-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I think it's really hard to base carbon emissions using 'per capita'. Much of our emissions coming from mining are for overseas consumers. Just as some of the mining is owned by overseas investors. I think 'per capita' gives false statistics.

Also, I'm firmly in the camp of climate change happening, but regardless of the human race it is inevitable. It's been happening for millions of years. The climate cycles. The earth is a living entity, nothing we can do (or not do) can change that. The earth WILL continue to heat, another ice age will happen...and so it will continue.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MissPoss For This Useful Post:

Janesmum123  (08-12-2011),Sparklydreamer  (08-12-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    You can laugh can call me an idiot all you want but humans are not going to save the planet nor are we to blame for global warming. The worlds climate is changing like it has done for millions of years. One volcano produces more then Australia for decades. Tax the volcanoses.
    Saving the world is a billion dollar industry. Scare the life out of people tell them the world will end and it will be all your fault then slap them with paying more. They won't protest as much.

10. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Janesmum123 For This Useful Post:

bambinos  (08-12-2011),MissPoss  (08-12-2011),Moglet  (08-01-2012),Sparklydreamer  (08-12-2011)

Sparklydreamer is offline I might lack sleep, but I can dream...
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Yep, it's like terrorism a few years ago. Scaring people and then promising to have the solution is a great vote winner.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Sparklydreamer For This Useful Post:

MissPoss  (08-12-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Actually my DH works in the "green" industry and assures me that China is doing a lot more than other places. I don't have stats or links but am sure he could dig them up for me. I don't think visiting China would be much of an indication. Most people visiting Oz wouldn't guess how much pollution we cause with our mining and brown coal industries.
    China is doing what we should be doing. Making solar products for other countries to use (and making money from it) whilst using cheap coal for their own use.

Here is a graph that shows each countries change in CO2 emissions from 2008-2010.
    http://wattsupwiththat.files.wordpre...-2008-2010.jpg

It doesn't get more obvious than that.

Feel free to provide any data that you may have that shows a different figure to this. This comes from the Carbon Dioxide Information Analysis Center.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Wow that "Watts Up With That" site is something else! Love the graph showing all these developed nations with their negative carbon emissions. You couldn't make this sh#t up....Oh that's right, that's exactly what they do. Off to find a graph which proves unequivocally that the earth is flat. I'm sure I can find one on the internet. Wouldn't want all that peer reviewed science giving us the wrong idea