+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Climategate 2.0

Have any of you been following the Climategate 2.0 debacle?
    These latest emails are even incriminating than the first bunch. I hope this is the beginning of the end of the whole 'global warming' gravy train.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I guess that is a no. The media have been very poor at reporting this.
    For those that have an interest in the manipulation that is going on behind the scenes in this whole 'global warming' hysteria, this link provides the highlights.

http://wattsupwiththat.com/2011/11/3...ails-thread-2/

I cannot believe that the Australian government has committed us to such an economic destroying scheme based upon such shakey 'science'. This on top of the billions that have already been wasted in preventing a non-existent problem.

Ana Gram is offline 2008 WINNER - straight shooter award
    Winner 2008 & 2009 - Community Minded thread
    Winner 2009 - Mod Award - most passionate member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    I don't bother because it is not newsworthy IMO. What is news worthy to me is the report funded by the Koch brothers to discredit climate change which actually found climate change was real.

I fully support moves by the government to tackle this very real global problem, in fact it is not nearly enough and we are in danger of falling behind other countries such as China in our efforts.

4. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Ana Gram For This Useful Post:

Ishtyban  (08-12-2011),kw123  (07-12-2011),MilkingMaid  (08-12-2011),WorkingClassMum  (07-12-2011),wrena  (07-12-2011)

Mod-Nomsie is offline Administrator
    Winner 2009/10/11/12/13 - Most helpful Moderator
    Winner 2011 - Naughtiest/Cheekiest Mod
    Winner - Quickest 'Thanker' on the Hub
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 15/1/15
    Ok.. for someone who is time poor but is interested in knowing what's happening here... who wants to give a brief run-down? (Because that link just has waaaaay too many links for me!)

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mod-Nomsie For This Useful Post:

Daydream Believer  (07-12-2011),mixinitup  (08-12-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Basically, the emails of climate scientists were hacked and cherry picked quotes are being released to the public seemingly as an attempt to discredit the idea of climate change. Whoever is doing the hacking is relying on the general public to not understand how scientific theory testing works I imagine.

My comment was about the Koch brothers who are some of the richest men in the world (oil) who are very anti climate change and try to influence governments study to test the science and try to prove it wrong. However, it was proved right

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Ana Gram For This Useful Post:

Mod-Nomsie  (07-12-2011),WorkingClassMum  (07-12-2011),wrena  (07-12-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Nomsie View Post
    Ok.. for someone who is time poor but is interested in knowing what's happening here... who wants to give a brief run-down? (Because that link just has waaaaay too many links for me!)
    I understand. There is a great deal of information out there now, so it can be very hard to digest. It sounds as though Ana Gram has not even bothered - but rather gone down the standard 'funded by big oil' route. Ana Gram, I'm not sure what you are trying to say here.

Anyway, back to the topic.
    The Climatic Research Unit (CRU) at the University of East Anglia was hacked into in 2009 and a series of emails were released on the internet. The CRU is probably the world's leading institution that 'studies' climate change. They are pretty big players in the whole global warming theory.
    This first release was called "Climategate". These emails included the infamous "hide the decline" email where members talked about using a "trick" to misrepresent what the data was actually indicating. This along with instructions to delete and hide information so that others cannot scrutinise their work - despite being funded by the government.
    This second batch (some 5000) of the original hacked emails was released in the last few weeks. There are a heap of dodgy emails in these. They are not cherry picked. They are all online in full, including the author and addressees.
    Phil Jones (head of the CRU) is a big player who is implemented pretty heavily in these along with Michael Mann (the creator of the infamous 'hockey stick' which has been shown to be false).

Some key highlights:

"Observations do not show rising temperatures throughout the tropical troposphere unless you accept one single study and approach and discount a wealth of others. This is just downright dangerous."

"Any work we have done in the past is done on the back of the research grants we get – and has to be well hidden. I’ve discussed this with the main funder (US Dept of Energy) in the past and they are happy about not releasing the original station data."

"I’m sure you agree–the Mann/Jones GRL paper was truly pathetic and should never have been published. I don’t want to be associated with that 2000 year “reconstruction”."

"[IPCC AR5 models] clearly, some tuning or very good luck involved. I doubt the modeling world will be able to get away with this much longer"

"But it will be very difficult to make the MWP go away in Greenland."
    (MWP is the Medieval Warm Period - which was warmer than we are today, this was removed in Michael Mann's 'hockey stick').

"Tim, Chris, I hope you’re not right about the lack of warming lasting till about 2020.

I seem to be getting an email a week from skeptics saying where’s the warming gone. I know the warming is on the decadal scale, but it would be nice to wear their smug grins away.
    "

"What if climate change appears to be just mainly a multidecadal natural fluctuation? They’ll kill us probably
    "

These are some of the easy short grabs. As Ana Gram has said - these are 'cherry picked' to give you some highlights. There is some quite juicy stuff in there, but it involves a bit of reading.
    Some of the nastier stuff is where they (Jones and his mates) try to get an editor of a journal sacked because they published a peer reviewed article that had some 'skeptical' science in it. And another where they try to get a PhD revoked off a scientists because they didn't like him opposing their views.

It is a very messy world behind the scenes in this gravy train. They all need to keep there jobs, so they are just trying to keep this global warming thing alive - despite the fact that there has been no warming in over a decade.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Father For This Useful Post:

Mod-Nomsie  (08-12-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Global warming is a cult

Thanks
    Reviews
    I think you know exactly what I am saying Father. But no bother, this seems to be your standard way of posting.

Nomsie, NASA has some excellent visual data you can check out.

http://climate.nasa.gov/ClimateTimeM...imeMachine.cfm

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Ana Gram For This Useful Post:

Mod-Nomsie  (08-12-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Ana Gram View Post
    I don't bother because it is not newsworthy IMO. What is news worthy to me is the report funded by the Koch brothers to discredit climate change which actually found climate change was real.

I fully support moves by the government to tackle this very real global problem, in fact it is not nearly enough and we are in danger of falling behind other countries such as China in our efforts.
    Do you mean that you think China is doing more about tackling climate change? If so have you ever been to China?!? It's ridiculous to think they are 'moving forward' a la Julia Gillard. What they're doing over there is downright terrible! Averaging one or more new coal powered energy station opening per week!!!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bambinos View Post
    Do you mean that you think China is doing more about tackling climate change? If so have you ever been to China?!? It's ridiculous to think they are 'moving forward' a la Julia Gillard. What they're doing over there is downright terrible! Averaging one or more new coal powered energy station opening per week!!!!
    Actually my DH works in the "green" industry and assures me that China is doing a lot more than other places. I don't have stats or links but am sure he could dig them up for me. I don't think visiting China would be much of an indication. Most people visiting Oz wouldn't guess how much pollution we cause with our mining and brown coal industries.

Do some people still "not believe" in climate change? Hilarious! In my personal experience they are generally the same people who don't believe in evolution. Enough said. And no that is not a dig at religious beliefs - its about science.

16. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to kw123 For This Useful Post:

Ana Gram  (08-12-2011),Berrie  (08-12-2011),Maybelline  (08-12-2011),Witwicky  (08-12-2011),wrena  (08-12-2011)