Closed Thread
Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    Home, where my life lies waiting, silently, for me.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    what consenting adults choose to do is none of my business.
    Though DH has jokingly suggested extra wives (he can have 4) but then complains thats Im too much trouble, imagine 4 of me
    There are plenty of polygamous families in Australia already.

Riiiiight.. there. Where I'm pointing. See it?
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Father View Post
    I am of the view that 'Marriage' is between a man and a woman. It's a simple as that.
    I do not have a problem with homosexuals having civil unions to show their commitment to each other and receive legal recognition - just don't call it 'marriage'.
    they will. they already have been. to those couples it's a marriage, no matter what the government calls it. you won't find someone proposing to someone to civil union them, they'll call it a marriage. don't like it? don't marry a man.

and to answer one of your previous points regarding precedent for social change, yes there is. women getting the vote springs to mind.

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Leeee For This Useful Post:

CallaLilly  (04-12-2011),delirium  (04-12-2011),msbreeze  (13-12-2011)

Guest Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by DaddyLarge View Post
    In fairness, I think that the comparison was drawn because of the absolute in my post. The question was based more on my assertion that grown adults can make their own decisions and where I would draw the line, rather than being a direct comparison between the two.

At least I HOPE it was.
    The argument is used by people against gay marriage that if you allow gay marriage, more 'types' of marriage will have to be acknowledged like polygamy. I'm sure it was in response to your post, but I'm answering the underlying tone of that opinion that most anti gay marriage folk have and use to deflect the argument.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I can't beleive we have (in this day in the year 2011), so many old fuddy duddys with out dated opinions.

Get with the program people, this will happen, maybe not this time but within the conceivable future. This is a massive step forward and if it got some big momentum it might get over the line.

Otherwise, we just wait till the narrow minded people pass on and the younger more accepting generation get it over the line.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yes I am a lesbian and I am engaged to my partner. We are waiting for gay marriage to go through. To us, we don't do anything different to anyone else... We live the same lives, do the same.jobs, buy houses and have families just like everyone else. I believe that I speak for the gay community that unless we get full marriage equality meaning we are legally allowed to call it marriage the same as everyone else, its still discriminating us.... We all feel like were lower than everyone else cuz the government treats us worse, and gives us less rights that criminals and pedofiles ... ? How can that make sense... Allowing us to get married wont hurt anyone, it will mean that the wedding industry would get a massive massive boost meaning that its good for the economy as well ...really. come on Julia ... All you have to do is tick the box and let it happen .... And that would be all. It would change my life forever and I can't stress it enough.... Plz. Vote for gay marriage ...

Sent from my HTC Incredible S using Bubhub

7. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Jessandmeltrappel For This Useful Post:

CallaLilly  (04-12-2011),delirium  (04-12-2011),gizmoduckus  (05-12-2011),rainbowchild  (12-12-2011),smallpotatoes  (04-12-2011)

CallaLilly is offline Bubhub Award Winner - 2011 - Funniest Member Award
    Donnybrook, WA (aka the middle of nowhere)
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jessandmeltrappel View Post
    Allowing us to get married wont hurt anyone, it will mean that the wedding industry would get a massive massive boost meaning that its good for the economy as well
    It would also be great for tourism. It's a pity that money even has to come into it, but Politicians do seem to like the concept of extra cash..

DaddyLarge is offline I put on my robe and wizard hat...
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by LucyB View Post
    I think he'll allow a conscience vote.

The Party Room will make him.

He'll call the PM's conscience vote bluff.
    Unfortunately, Abbott has confirmed that he'll oppose a conscience vote. The party room could oppose him, but they won't. It would be a huge blow for his authority as leader seeing as he has come out publicly and forcefully, and would basically make him a lame duck leader. Unless they want to roll him and install a new leader they'll have to back him.

The last poll says that 81% of coalition voters support a conscience vote on the issue. There's nothing like a politician reflecting the will of his constituents...

He has done his best to soften his image over the past few years, but if nothing else this shows that Abbott is still the same hardcore fundamentalist religious zealot that he has always been. He has always - and WILL always - revert back to trying to inflict his religious agenda onto the country at every opportunity, regardless of the country's feelings on the matter.

Gillard has been atrocious as PM - but I'd take a million ineffective Gillards over one bible-and-pitchfork crusading Abbott any day. The 1950s weren't all that kind to women - give him power at your peril.

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to DaddyLarge For This Useful Post:

Jakois  (12-12-2011),rainbowchild  (12-12-2011),wrena  (12-12-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DaddyLarge View Post
    Unfortunately, Abbott has confirmed that he'll oppose a conscience vote. The party room could oppose him, but they won't. It would be a huge blow for his authority as leader seeing as he has come out publicly and forcefully, and would basically make him a lame duck leader. Unless they want to roll him and install a new leader they'll have to back him.

The last poll says that 81% of coalition voters support a conscience vote on the issue. There's nothing like a politician reflecting the will of his constituents...

He has done his best to soften his image over the past few years, but if nothing else this shows that Abbott is still the same hardcore fundamentalist religious zealot that he has always been. He has always - and WILL always - revert back to trying to inflict his religious agenda onto the country at every opportunity, regardless of the country's feelings on the matter.

Gillard has been atrocious as PM - but I'd take a million ineffective Gillards over one bible-and-pitchfork crusading Abbott any day. The 1950s weren't all that kind to women - give him power at your peril.

why is this even an issue I wish they would oppose him but sadly it is unlikely they will. Time for new leaders

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Father View Post
    I am of the view that 'Marriage' is between a man and a woman. It's a simple as that.
    I do not have a problem with homosexuals having civil unions to show their commitment to each other and receive legal recognition - just don't call it 'marriage'.
    Semantics.
    Gay people being 'married' will have absolutely no effect on you, your marriage or your life unless you choose to have a gay marriage, so why do you feel the need to oppose it?

The descriptions of the term 'marriage' used in the Family Law Act 1975 (Cwlth) (s. 43(a)) and the Marriage Act 1961 (ss. 46(1) and 69(2)) are based on the definition in the 19th century English case of Hyde v. Hyde and Woodmansee,(2) namely, a formal, monogamous and heterosexual union for life.
    I find it interesting that the above is in the Australian Constitution and is used for the basis of definition for the term "marriage", which is essentially a legal contract, yet adultery is not punishable by law and divorce (and subsequent remarriage) is perfectly legal. So we can be flexible enough with the monogamous bit (open marriage anyone?), the "for life" part is meaningless, but the man and woman part we just cannot budge on? Puhh-leeease.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Atropos For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Father (I cbf finding the post to quote on my phone but it's the one used above)

Does it make a difference to you if mark and Mary next door are married? No? Then why should it matter it Amy and Mary are married? Or mark and John? Indeed how would you know? Why should it matter? If someone else being happily married really causes so Many issues with the idea of marriage for you I'd suggest it's not their marriage that needs looking at. Since when were heterosexual couples of a higher class than same sex couples? What makes anyone think we have the right to limit another persons access to what is a privilege enjoyed by the majority of the population (as an option even if one not used) I do not think of marriage as a right it is a profound privilege on a number of levels but it is one that should be available to EVERYONE who wishes- be they male female or transgender if they are in love and want that commitment go for it. Should you wish to separate yourself you're welcome to have a 'civil union' if it's good enough to suggest as a substitute and equal I'm sure you won't mind?

15. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to mummykitty For This Useful Post:

Atropos  (12-12-2011),delirium  (13-12-2011),rainbowchild  (12-12-2011),trishalishous  (13-12-2011),Turk EnJayDee  (12-12-2011)

Closed Thread
Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast