Closed Thread
Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ElleB View Post
    Obviously the liberal party is different at the local council then! In Bris a local member from the Lib party was kicked out by Can-Do Campbell for not "toeing the line" and voting against the party. How dare a person elected by the people actually vote for what the PEOPLE wanted!! That was almost two years ago and the member is still being victimised and bullied by Libs on a regular basis!

I really hope the changes to the marriage act go through.
    Who?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    How dare a person elected by the people actually vote for what the PEOPLE wanted!!
    Labor and the Carbon (dioxide) Tax anyone?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Nicole Johnston - Tennyson Ward Brisbane City Council. Google her and the Sherwood Bus Depot and read the controversy!

She's now an independent.

DaddyLarge is offline I put on my robe and wizard hat...
    Thanks
    Reviews
    The idea of a mandate is a quaint notion. There hasn't been a government in my lifetime that hasn't "backflipped" on election promises.

People vote on the totality of a candidate's platform. A vote for a candidate is not an endorsement of every policy, it is merely a reflection that the sum of their platform is preferred to that of the other candidates. Until we implement citizen-initated referenda and recall powers, we're stuck with a system where election promises are fluid and changeable.

Labor has done it. There was also another party that introduced the term "non-core promise" to the political lexicon. Pretty sure they weren't Labor, though.

In this instance, it is a changed policy that is actually reflecting the will of the people. I can't remember seeing a single poll in the last few years that has indicated that a majority of the country didn't support permitting same-sex marriage, despite the scare-mongering and bigotry.

To be honest, the gay marriage issue is one of the most valuable debates we've had in this country, for two reasons.

Firstly, it is a very accurate insight into the nature of a person. The human rights and equality implications of same-sex marriage are clear and indisputable, as is the reality that allowing gay marriage negatively impacts no one. That some would seek to deny others a benefit that would bring no cost to them or society is a startling insight into their character and humanity.

Secondly, it makes crystal clear the folly of allowing religious corporations to cower behind "separation of church and state" as a justification to avoid paying tax on their massive profits. The idea that we have this privileged class or corporations that is permitted to avoid contributing to society according to their wealth and income while demanding their right to impart their views and bigotry on society.

The concept of religious corporations being exempt from tax is based on the idea that the church is not a political entity. The second that they insert themselves into the political debate they lose the moral right to that exemption.

Separation of church and state is a two-way street. Either the church remains exempt and keeps itself out of politics, or it retains its place in the discourse and contributes in the same way as any other corporation.
    Last edited by DaddyLarge; 03-12-2011 at 16:52.

5. The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to DaddyLarge For This Useful Post:

Atropos  (12-12-2011),BabyG4  (03-12-2011),delirium  (03-12-2011),fairyflossfairy  (03-01-2012),Hootenanny  (03-12-2011),Jakois  (12-12-2011),msbreeze  (13-12-2011),MuminMind  (12-12-2011),onesie23  (03-12-2011),Ra Ra Superstar  (03-12-2011),rainbowchild  (12-12-2011),smallpotatoes  (03-12-2011),twotrunks  (13-12-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by DaddyLarge View Post
    Firstly, it is a very accurate insight into the nature of a person. The human rights and equality implications of same-sex marriage are clear and indisputable, as is the reality that allowing gay marriage negatively impacts no one. That some would seek to deny others a benefit that would bring no cost to them or society is a startling insight into their character and humanity.
    So would I be correct to assume that you would also support and endorse polygamy then?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Nicole Johnston - Tennyson Ward Brisbane City Council. Google her and the Sherwood Bus Depot and read the controversy!

She's now an independent.
    She quit though didn't she?

And um, well.

DaddyLarge is offline I put on my robe and wizard hat...
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Father View Post
    So would I be correct to assume that you would also support and endorse polygamy then?
    Firstly, there is a world of difference between "support" and "endorse".

There would be a lot more tax and welfare considerations to be sorted out before polygamy was able to be implemented. Gay marriage involves nothing outside of signing a piece of paper - every other consideration already exists as a part of the Marriage Act.

But from a moral point of view, provided that all parties were adults and all entered into the arrangement willingly, it doesn't concern me in the slightest. Whilst it isn't something that I would be interested in, who am I to tell grown adults what they should do with each other?

I have a novel approach to freedom. I believe that if grown adults are happy and aren't affecting anything or anyone else, they should be left the hell alone to live their life. I don't believe that freedom only means the right to do stuff that I'd also choose to do.

9. The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to DaddyLarge For This Useful Post:

Atropos  (12-12-2011),BabyG4  (03-12-2011),Elijahs Mum  (03-12-2011),fairyflossfairy  (03-01-2012),gizmoduckus  (03-12-2011),Hootenanny  (03-12-2011),Janesmum123  (03-12-2011),MuminMind  (12-12-2011),rainbow road  (12-12-2011),rainbowchild  (12-12-2011),smallpotatoes  (03-12-2011),Witwicky  (03-12-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    How ridiculous. They aren't even similar. Anyway DL has answered perfectly as usual.
    Last edited by Alexander Beetle; 03-12-2011 at 17:35.

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Alexander Beetle For This Useful Post:

BabyG4  (03-12-2011),DaddyLarge  (03-12-2011),rainbowchild  (12-12-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews

I hope that this amendment will get strongly voted down - which I think it will.

Waiting for the attacks to come
    Do u mind if I ask why? Cool if you don't want to answer

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    Polygamy is not something I would partake in, but if it involves consenting adults, who am I to judge? As someone else said, you can support a choice even if you wouldn't make it yourself. On a sexuality scale, I'm up the top end of hetro, never been even remotely attracted to another female ever. But just bc I wouldn't marry a woman doesn't mean I don't support another female marrying another woman.

It's really as simple as that to me.

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to delirium For This Useful Post:

*Cj*  (03-12-2011),Jurty  (03-12-2011),rainbowchild  (12-12-2011)