Closed Thread
Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast
    Witwicky is offline A closed mouth gathers no foot.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I just don't think that the institution of marriage should be changed from what it was originally intended for.
    I'm really glad that so many laws have been amended in our society over time. For example - womens and aboriginal voting rights. The law originally intended for males only to have the right to vote. I don't think 'originally intended' means anything in the scheme of things. We are constantly evolving towards a fair and just society, this is just another hurdle which will be overcome

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Witwicky For This Useful Post:

Benji  (14-12-2011),MuminMind  (13-12-2011),trishalishous  (14-12-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by DaddyLarge View Post
    Seventeen year olds (and sixteen year olds) can actually get married in at least some states, as it happens...

Strangely enough, those howling about "the sanctity of marriage" - including the church - have traditionally either ignored or opposed moves to outlaw this.
    Yes bc somehow 2 16 year old straight children should have more rights to marriage then 2 consenting, gay adults

It's also important to note that if this goes thru, churches won't be forced to marry homosexuals. So their delicate sensibilities need not be challenged and if I was gay, I would rather stab myself in the eye rather than marry in a church that preaches I'm a sinner purely based on how i was born....

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to delirium For This Useful Post:

trishalishous  (14-12-2011),Witwicky  (13-12-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Atropos View Post
    "Article 16, Universal Declaration of Human Rights (UDHR):
    Men and women of full age, without any limitation due to race, nationality or religion, have the right to marry and to found a family. They are entitled to equal rights as to marriage, during marriage and at its dissolution."
    For more than a decade, this non-discrimination principle has been interpreted by UN treaty bodies and numerous inter-governmental human rights bodies as prohibiting discrimination based on gender or sexual orientation. Non-discrimination on grounds of sexual orientation has therefore become an internationally recognized principle and many countries have responded by bringing their domestic laws into line with this principle in a range of spheres including partnership rights.

It doesn't get much clearer than that Father. Marriage equality is indeed a human rights issue.

You would be happy to ban divorce? Really? What about domestic violence victims? You'd make them stay married to their abuser? ...interesting.
    Yes. It doesn't get much more clearer than that. The fact that some people would like to think that there is a hidden "sexual orientation" line in that sentence means nothing. I don't see that connection. It clearly only says race, nationality, and religion.

Yes. There are obvious exceptions to all laws, and abuse would be an appropriate exception.

rainbow road is offline look at the stars, look how they shine for you
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Father View Post
    Yes. It doesn't get much more clearer than that. The fact that some people would like to think that there is a hidden "sexual orientation" line in that sentence means nothing. I don't see that connection. It clearly only says race, nationality, and religion.

Yes. There are obvious exceptions to all laws, and abuse would be an appropriate exception.
    Yes but article 2 of the UDHR states:

Everyone is entitled to all the rights and freedoms set forth in this Declaration, without distinction of any kind, such as race, colour, sex, language, religion, political or other opinion, national or social origin, property, birth or other status. Furthermore, no distinction shall be made on the basis of the political, jurisdictional or international status of the country or territory to which a person belongs, whether it be independent, trust, non-self-governing or under any other limitation of sovereignty.

Other status would include sexuality, and Article 2 is the package all the other Articles come in.
    Last edited by Mod-pegasus; 14-12-2011 at 02:25.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Forkie View Post
    UDHR article 12: the right to marry and start a family
    UDHR article 2: the right to have all human rights granted regardless of race, religion, economic status or any other factor (I.e. sexuality).

I don't know them verbatim and I'm not on a computer, but yes, the right to marry is a human right and all human rights are expected to granted regardless of any status.
    I'll actually quote those articles for you. Above I have shown that article 16 is not relevent.

Article 12:
    No one shall be subjected to arbitrary interference with his privacy, family, home or correspondence, nor to attacks upon his honour and reputation. Everyone has the right to the protection of the law against such interference or attacks.
    A bit of a stretch for you to interpret that the way you did.

Article 2:
    Everyone is entitled to all the rights and freedoms set forth in this Declaration, without distinction of any kind, such as race, colour, sex, language, religion, political or other opinion, national or social origin, property, birth or other status. Furthermore, no distinction shall be made on the basis of the political, jurisdictional or international status of the country or territory to which a person belongs, whether it be independent, trust, non-self-governing or under any other limitation of sovereignty.
    "Other status". Is this the out clause for everything?

Here are some more articles:
    Article 1:
    All human beings are born free and equal in dignity and rights.They are endowed with reason and conscience and should act towards one another in a spirit of brotherhood.
    Do you feel that you two (and all the others who seem to think that I can not have an opinion) have acted towards me in a spirit of brotherhood?

Article 5:
    No one shall be subjected to torture or to cruel, inhuman or degrading treatment or punishment.
    I could say to call me 'archaic', 'bigoted', and my views 'rubbish' is "degrading treatment". I wouldn't do that though, because you are entitled to your opinion.

Article 19:
    Everyone has the right to freedom of opinion and expression; this right includes freedom to hold opinions without interference and to seek, receive and impart information and ideas through any media and regardless of frontiers.
    It seems that people that are so determined to have 'human rights' are also very willing to sacrifice this particular one.

I don't need anyone to agree with me. I was merely expressing my opinion which is clearly a 'human right' according to article 19. You don't have to read things into that article. Nor do you have to rely on the "other status" out clause. It cannot be any more clear.

This is my opinion. You don't have to agree. But you shouldn't attack me and call me names because I have such an opinion. You really cannot get on your "high horse of human rights" (I might copyright that) whilst at the same time be hypocritical and take away my 'human right' to have an opinion.
    Last edited by Mod-pegasus; 14-12-2011 at 02:31. Reason: reference to deleted text

Witwicky is offline A closed mouth gathers no foot.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Not to mention the article stipulating that ALL are EQUAL before the law. I believe it's article 6 or 7, but can't check at the present time.

Ana Gram is offline 2008 WINNER - straight shooter award
    Winner 2008 & 2009 - Community Minded thread
    Winner 2009 - Mod Award - most passionate member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    It's one thing to have an opinion, it's entirely another to impose that opinion on the lives of others who have absolutely nothing to do with your own marriage.

A gay couple getting married has absolutely NO effect on a straight persons marriage. None. As a non-gay person, I can get married to whoever I want which also has absolutely no effect on anyone else's marriage. Why should I be allowed to get married and Forkie can't? It makes absolutely NO sense.

Riiiiight.. there. Where I'm pointing. See it?
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Father View Post
    Do you feel that you two (and all the others who seem to think that I can not have an opinion) have acted towards me in a spirit of brotherhood?
    you are entitled to an opinion. you are not entitled to belittle other people with it, especially when you're in an increasing minority. belittling others with your minority opinion is not acting in a spirit of brotherhood. if you are trying to convince forkie to take your point of view you will fail as she is in a committed relationship with another woman. that is their right. they are planning children, as is also their right. there is nothing to stop them from applying together for a home loan should they choose to do that. they are in no way different from a straight couple, except that the government has written blatant discrimination against them into legislation.
    that clause "and other status" has to be there for the same reason as an "other" option has to appear in any poll on this site. there's always something that gets missed for whatever reason. sexuality is covered by that clause. the inclusion of that clause shows that the authors of that document are opening that human right to anyone, no matter what may have slipped their minds at the time of writing.

i have spoken to forkie outside of the hub and she is very level-headed and sensible. she has acted very civilly in this thread compared to what i would have done if moderation and infringement weren't an issue.

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Leeee For This Useful Post:

Benji  (14-12-2011),rainbow road  (14-12-2011),trishalishous  (14-12-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Witwicky View Post
    Not to mention the article stipulating that ALL are EQUAL before the law. I believe it's article 6 or 7, but can't check at the present time.
    Article 7:
    All are equal before the law and are entitled without any discrimination to equal protection of the law. All are entitled to equal protection against any discrimination in violation of this Declaration and against any incitement to such discrimination.
    Now this is very dangerous ground so I'll tread lightly. Aboriginal entitlements. Why are we Australians not all equal according to the law? Why is race factor in some laws?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Ana Gram View Post
    It's one thing to have an opinion, it's entirely another to impose that opinion on the lives of others who have absolutely nothing to do with your own marriage.

A gay couple getting married has absolutely NO effect on a straight persons marriage. None. As a non-gay person, I can get married to whoever I want which also has absolutely no effect on anyone else's marriage. Why should I be allowed to get married and Forkie can't? It makes absolutely NO sense.
    I am not forcing my opinion on anyone. As I said before, I can't personally change the law (or not change it in this case). It is just an opinion. It is not an action.
    And Forkie can get married like everyone else. She just has to marry someone of the opposite sex, as this is one of the requirements according to our laws.