+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default 6 week postnatal check-up

Hi all,
    Just wondering what normally happens at your 6 week postnatal visit.
    I saw my GP during the week and felt a bit like it was a waste of time..
    I asked a whole bunch of questions that I didn't really get proper answers to and the GP didn't examine me (1st degree tear.. abdo muscle separation.. etc).
    I also realised later that evening that the doctor didn't even mention contraception!
    I birthed through my local public hospital's midwife group so don't have a private OB.
    Is this the standard??

Sent from my iPhone using Bub Hub app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    My GP asked me about contraception, offered to examine me (I declined because I felt that I had healed well, I had 2nd degree tearing but all is well now) and did a pap smear because I was due. She also did DD's 8 week injections and my whooping cough/tetanus/diphtheria booster. Quite thorough, really!

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Hollywood For This Useful Post:

MissRose1  (11-12-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I was private, so my OB checked how I was healing (I had an episiotomy and internal tearing), checked an issue I was having, checked that my uterus had shrunk back to size and asked me about contraception.

I would think that they would at least offer to check would be standard as well as discussing contraception. If you're worried about contraception or that you're not healing properly maybe head back to the GP and ask them about it? It sucks though, cause I think they probably should have done it at your check up

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to smallpotatoes For This Useful Post:

ladyleah6  (25-08-2014),MissRose1  (11-12-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    My OB checked to make sure everything was back to normal, did a pap test and discussed contraception. He also checked my pelvic floor muscles and asked how I was feeling in general. He was pretty thorough.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Cue For This Useful Post:

MissRose1  (11-12-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks for the replies ladies. Feel like I've been a bit ripped off now lol. I actually reminded the GP about my tearing/stitches and told her that I hadn't looked down there so not sure how it is healing. I also asked for the whooping cough vaccine but somehow managed to get rushed out without getting it... I think I might make another appointment with a different GP and see how I go, just for some piece of mind that everything is healing up well xx

Sent from my iPhone using Bub Hub app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I forgot to add that she also did a physical check of DD, checked her hips, reflexes and all that stuff. She also gave us a referral for an ultrasound for DD because she noticed one extra fold in her leg which can possibly mean a problem with her hip causing one leg to be shorter (fixable, thankfully). So I just have to wait and see what the MCHN says in a weeks time.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Hollywood For This Useful Post:

MissRose1  (11-12-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    My OB didn't offer to check me downstairs so I got my GP to check a week later.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to lemonpancakes For This Useful Post:

MissRose1  (24-01-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks again for your replies ladies. I managed to get in with my regular GP last week (she has long waiting times... bubs is only 13 weeks old now haha). So glad I made the appointment, she did the most thorough check of DS and I