+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    MilkingMaid is offline Winner 2009 - Mod Award - most supportive member
    Question those who don't question authority
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Do remember that pelvises are not fixed, theyare a series of bones which are attached by ligaments which stretch, and with the aid of the hormone relaxin which we secrete while we are pregnant, everything in our bodies can stretch an amazing amount.

Our pelvis is designed to open the exact right amount to let our babies out, it is usually only because of physical damage eg a car accident, or having had rickets or something which means our pelvises wont perform.

One of the biggest factors in giving birth is positioning, and being able to move freely while in labour, as our babies corkscrew their ways out of our bodies, so we need to be able to facilitate this by squatting, putting our legs up on furniture, being on hands and knees or whatever our bodies tell us to do at the time, and often we will need to change position many times during labour.

A lot of Obs like women to birth on their backs, which does not facilitate birth at all, thus their terrifyingly high c/s rate (among other reasons)

Our bodies know how to birth babies, we only need the space, time and security to be able to listen, and to respond.

The Pink Kit is an amazing resource which gives great information about the way our bodies work to give birth, and it explains all about our amazing stretchy pelvises.

http://thepinkkit.com/

The only way to know if a baby will fit through your pelvis and be born is to give birth, as every baby is different, and it is a dynamic process which a static x-ray or scan simply cannot predict.

Absolute belief in your body is one of the biggest predictors of a successful vaginal birth.
    Last edited by MilkingMaid; 05-12-2011 at 11:54.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MilkingMaid For This Useful Post:

Busy-Bee  (05-12-2011),Roopee  (05-12-2011),Witwicky  (05-12-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Like other people, I was told I was having a bigger baby and she ended up being 3kg which is average!

I ended up having a c-section but I was completly over being pregnant so I was easily swayed! I don't regret it now but if you're not comfortable definitely get another opinion you need to do what works for you. Because the more comfortable you are, the better off you and bub will be

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AM View Post
    A lot of Obs like women to birth on their backs, which does not facilitate birth at all, thus their terrifyingly high c/s rate (among other reasons)
    I completely understand that some people prefer not to have an OB, and I don't see anything wrong with that at all. But these statements are a bit frustrating.

Most OBs at my local private hospital encourage women to birth how they feel they need to - the middies put mats down in the bathroom if need be so the OB can help deliver kneeling or lying on the shower floor. My OB actively encourages you to move around during labour and prefers birth to be as natural as possible as he believes that's the best way for both mum and bub.

OP - if you're not comfortable with your OBs approach, see if you can change providers. It's like anything else, OBs are people too and have their own individual ideas so it's good to find one you like. There are plenty of fantastic drs out there. They're not all scalpel-happy

ETA: AM, the link you provided looks interesting and I think the info you posted was great, I think we'll probably just differ in opinion re OBs! Sorry just wanted to clarify that I wasn't having a go and dismissing your input!
    Last edited by Cue; 05-12-2011 at 22:16.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Just thought I'd update you all seen everyone was so supportive

Had my check up today and my OB again said my baby is "seriously big" and c-section blah blah but this time I said no Also my fundal height hasn't changed in 2 weeks so that really does squash his theory.

I'm not choosing to have a c-section early so looks like nature gets to take it's course

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mrs E For This Useful Post:

bugalugsmel  (07-12-2011),FloatingFairy  (06-12-2011),MilkingMaid  (06-12-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Good on you! See how you go and do what feels right to you.

MilkingMaid is offline Winner 2009 - Mod Award - most supportive member
    Question those who don't question authority
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Great stuff! Keep reading, keep educating yourself on all of this stuff, as it sounds as though this Ob may be going to try to put a few more roadblocks in your way, hopefully not though!!

All the best, knowledge is power.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default My ob wants me to have a c-section early due to big baby

I found this when searching about big babies as this is what's happening to me now.. I'd love to know how your labour went?

Thanks
    Reviews
    To me, this sounds as though he is wanting a c section for his own convienience. Obstetricians also Lean heavily towards c sections and intervening with birth when it is really not needed.

Many woman give birth to large babies naturally with no problem. If your baby WAS too big for your pelvis, which I believe is not that likely, then you'd know in labour that you need a c section.

I was told I was going to have a small baby as my belly was tiny. However I delivered a 7 pound 7 or 3.5kg exactly with a head circumference of 36cm and his arms above his head, which I was told made his head as big as a 10 pound baby. Even at 7.7pounds, that was fairly large for my size as I am tiny. Looking at him, I could not believe he had fit inside my belly, let alone out of my vagina! Lol

If you feel comfortable changing your ante natal care then I highly recommend a birthing centre or midwife run birthing suite. They are more for natural births and are very experienced in them. It may seem a little daunting changing your carer so
    Far into pregnancy, but if this guy is making you leave in tears and giving your anxiety, no matter how great or small, then I really do think that once you stopped seeing him you could find someone who makes you feel comfortable and calm.

There is absolutely no excuse for any doctor/midwife/anyone at all to make a pregnant woman fear her pregnancy and birth! Pregnant woman have enough worries as it is and it is SO SO SO Important they feel relaxed, supported and happy with their birthing plans as fear in labour can and will make things worse!

The difference between him & someone who is supportive and positive about your birth, could mean your body contracts and opens up for your baby to come out naturally, as opposed to you needing a c section because your body is tight and not contracting properly. Fear causes contractions to not be efficient.

If you talk to a midwife and express your desire to birth naturally, they will reassure you and help you believe in your body.

If by any chance the baby is actually too big, there is no harm in having an emergency csection because labour is obviously not progressing enough to allow the baby out.

There are also many things u can do to open your pelvis up, such as squatting when gving birth.

I wish you the best of luck and hope you find someone who makes you feel positive and believe in the amazing abilities of your womanly body. If you do not change carers and want to birth naturally, then please do not let your obstetrician to force or manipulate you inti anything you don't want to do, stay strong with your beliefs unless there is an absolute medical reason for a c section to get the baby out as quickly as possible. Get your partner to stick up for you and let them deal with the dr if he is being pushy,
    This is your labour, your body, your birth and something that will stay with you for the rest of your life. Plan it HOWEVER u want to, with the exception of an open mind for emergencies, and don't let anyone make you feel like they are doing things at their own convienience . X

Thanks
    Reviews

Default My ob wants me to have a c-section early due to big baby

I'm not short but I've had two natural, drug and stitch fee births. DD1 was 8 pound 8oz, DD2 was 9 pound 12 Fundal height is very rough, you could have a long bub, or lots of fluid or something lie that. My DD2 was 58cm long at birth!