+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by wrena View Post
    Yep and hospitality and retail workers in the States get $4-$5 an hour, while in the UK 5-7 pounds isn't a bad starting wage. Do we really want to bring our wages in line with those countries. We're so damn lucky in Australia and the "poor us" mantra really annoys me. Everytime I've lived and worked overseas I've come back to Australia so grateful for our standard of living and minimum pay rates
    Us min wage is about 7-8 per hour plus tips.
    Look at how much we pay to live here and how much they pay.

But yes we do have Higher standard of living for now. It will change in the next 20 yrs.

SuperGranny is offline Worlds best grandma! Winner 2012 - Most Helpful Member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I dont usually join a political debate, but I can never recall a time when the politicians getting a pay rise was greeted with cheers?? The Independant tribunal was set up by the govt with the instructions to give us a pay rise when you see fit, and I do think it has been a while since they last took one, but I can not justify such an increase. I dont think the arguement is anything to do with his (Obama) Vs her (Gillard) wage, it is more to do with the size of the two countries, the population, and the general thinking that USA is always bigger better and wiser than Aus. (That is not my opinion!!! just the general feelings from the generations before me and some of my generation.) As for one persons comment, that the politicians can make more money outside of parliment, and that they have come to parliment because they want to do some good,, I would say there Might be one or two people that could be true, but the majority are just out for what they can get. And I refuse to start talking about Peter Slipper. ( May he rot in h*!! ) Marie.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to SuperGranny For This Useful Post:

Mod-Nomsie  (05-12-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SuperGranny View Post
    I dont usually join a political debate, but I can never recall a time when the politicians getting a pay rise was greeted with cheers?? The Independant tribunal was set up by the govt with the instructions to give us a pay rise when you see fit, and I do think it has been a while since they last took one, but I can not justify such an increase. I dont think the arguement is anything to do with his (Obama) Vs her (Gillard) wage, it is more to do with the size of the two countries, the population, and the general thinking that USA is always bigger better and wiser than Aus. (That is not my opinion!!! just the general feelings from the generations before me and some of my generation.) As for one persons comment, that the politicians can make more money outside of parliment, and that they have come to parliment because they want to do some good,, I would say there Might be one or two people that could be true, but the majority are just out for what they can get. And I refuse to start talking about Peter Slipper. ( May he rot in h*!! ) Marie.
    Well if it is any comfort, I am fairly sure he won't last out the rest of the term. He's about as dodgy as the Tripodi's and Macdonald's of the world.

Ky is offline <--- Ruby, the most precious little red gem ever!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    At least Australia is in a financial position whereby it can afford to pay it's leaders whereas America is living in incredibly dodgy times financially!

Although, I would love to have a higher income coming into our household - have to send DH to the mines next year to do that ...

DaddyLarge is offline I put on my robe and wizard hat...
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Politicians get paid enough, and paying more won't do a thing to help get "better" people in parliament. It's not like you see a line of ex-politicians begging on street corners.

The reality is that the quality of our parliament is brought down by the party machines, not by the quality of the candidates themselves. The party system we have makes it almost impossible for independent and start-up party candidates to compete, which means that the appeasing the party elites is more important than being a great thinker or a capable manager. Until this changes, the quality of parliament won't.

The only way to change the quality of parliament is to change the way they are elected. Sorting out campaign funding and eliminating above-the-line voting would be a good start.

I wouldn't be too worried about Obama. His campaign spent more than a billion dollars to get him the job - they wouldn't be doing that if it wasn't worth it for him. Being elected in either country is basically a golden ticket - when their time is done, they'll have pensions, staffing, allowances, book deals, media deals, cushy corporate jobs etc.

They'll be just fine.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to DaddyLarge For This Useful Post:

Mod-Nomsie  (05-12-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Atropos View Post
    I think for me, it bugs me because Obama has a much bigger nation to look after, for one. Also it bugs me that our nations hardest workers (cops, nurses etc) have to fight so hard to get 1-2% payrises and pollies like her get them for no apparent reason (along with all the other perks). I don't doubt that she works hard etc but when the govt cuts funding to other area to save money and then the budget is blown out to cover ridiculous salaries, pensions, travel etc.... well, it doesn't sit right. Gender has nothing to do with it. I don't care if she gets paid more than a man, but I also don't think she should be paid more for being a woman.
    Exactly and yep she is hard at work.... screwing up this country

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Californication View Post
    Most people that stabbed someone in the back would get a few years in jail, not a $90k pay rise.
    love it!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kimberleygal1 View Post
    Exactly and yep she is hard at work.... screwing up this country

11. The Following User Says Thank You to MoonGecko For This Useful Post:

Deeva  (03-12-2011)

lambjam is offline Nitwit! Blubber! Oddment! Tweak!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    IMO the pay rise is a good thing, because it aims to make politicians' remuneration more transparent. They lost benefits and were reimbursed with a pay rise. If you lost benefits at work that were part of your initial contract wouldn't you think it fair to be reimbursed?

Our PM's salary is still far behind MANY senior public servants, and peanuts compared to what she could earn if she took her qualifications to market as a lawyer.

As for Obama, his salary is the least of his actual remuneration. When he retires Obama will receive a hefty pension, Secret Service protection, and be reimbursed for his own private staff (among many other pricey perks).

13. The Following User Says Thank You to lambjam For This Useful Post:

Maybelline  (03-12-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I don't see what Obama's wage has to do with anything relating to Australian politics. I have an issue with the amount of increase, especially when they are budget cutting and nurses are having trouble getting a pay rise. I couldn't give a cr@p what Obama gets. How irrelevant.