+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Atropos View Post
    I think for me, it bugs me because Obama has a much bigger nation to look after, for one. Also it bugs me that our nations hardest workers (cops, nurses etc) have to fight so hard to get 1-2% payrises and pollies like her get them for no apparent reason (along with all the other perks). I don't doubt that she works hard etc but when the govt cuts funding to other area to save money and then the budget is blown out to cover ridiculous salaries, pensions, travel etc.... well, it doesn't sit right. Gender has nothing to do with it. I don't care if she gets paid more than a man, but I also don't think she should be paid more for being a woman.
    This! The other person who was mentioned in comparison was the British PM. Again not because they are male but because they have bigger nations to look after.

In NSW teachers are currently being offered a 2.5% pa payrise for 2 years. That is currently less than inflation (in fact a $75 a week pay cut) and to get equivalent to inflation we have to make trade offs that will effect our work conditions. Her payrise is 28%! Imagine what I could do with a 28% payrise or if some of that payrise was paid back into public education!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Yep and hospitality and retail workers in the States get $4-$5 an hour, while in the UK 5-7 pounds isn't a bad starting wage. Do we really want to bring our wages in line with those countries. We're so damn lucky in Australia and the "poor us" mantra really annoys me. Everytime I've lived and worked overseas I've come back to Australia so grateful for our standard of living and minimum pay rates

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    The Rem Tribunal hasn't actually made it's recommendation yet though has it?

Ana Gram - I think the suggestion is that they will cap or cut back some of the allowances such as the study trips each term.

Just in relation to Gold Passes - not every ex-MP or Senator automatically gets them. You have to have served as a backbencher for 20 years (so about 7 terms) or 6 years as a Minister. Neither of those are a doddle to do.

ETA - I have just checked their website and it seems they have made the determination. I thought it was still being discussed as part of a broader reforms.
    Last edited by NancyBlackett; 02-12-2011 at 09:44.

Ana Gram is offline 2008 WINNER - straight shooter award
    Winner 2008 & 2009 - Community Minded thread
    Winner 2009 - Mod Award - most passionate member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Atropos View Post
    From what I understand they will begin phasing out the travel 'gold cards' ie- not take them off existing holders but not give them to new members and possibly restrict their current usage.
    Quote Originally Posted by pegasus View Post
    As for the perks. Apparently everytime a pollie gets elected they currently get a round the world trip which is worth $30k. To earn enough to have the cash to pay for that trip - they'd have to earn $60k more as $30k (or round about) goes in tax. This is one of the things that is talked about being taken away. (Something I heard on Hack today )
    Quote Originally Posted by LucyB View Post

Ana Gram - I think the suggestion is that they will cap or cut back some of the allowances such as the study trips each term.

Just in relation to Gold Passes - not every ex-MP or Senator automatically gets them. You have to have served as a backbencher for 20 years (so about 7 terms) or 6 years as a Minister. Neither of those are a doddle to do.
    thanks I didn't hear the full story as I am in the middle of exams.

Thanks
    Reviews
    The old saying "if you pay peanuts you get monkeys" comes to mind. I actually prefer our nations leaders are paid well, and that the good ones are not tempted to quit and go into the private sector purely for financial reasons.

That said, I think nurses, teachers etc should also be paid way more than they currently are. I wouldn't want monkeys doing those jobs either.

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to shelle65 For This Useful Post:

Guest654  (02-12-2011),Maybelline  (03-12-2011),MsTruth  (02-12-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I dont think they should be getting a pay rise at all. They are cutting money from the baby bonus and public services to try and get out of debt. People will lose jobs no doubt but as long as they get a payrise

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Bank For This Useful Post:

SuperGranny  (02-12-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    What the pm gets paid is not an either/or - the PM AND everyone else should be remunerated adequetely for their job

You cannot compare US pollies or UK pollies to Aus pollies as our systems are different (similar but essentially different)

In Aus we don't have the House of Lord and the House of Commons, and we also don't have the election circus of the US.

Australia is a much larger land albeit a smaller population than UK, and we have the fact we are placed squarley within the asias as compared to USA - so we are not comparing apples and apples

We speak a (fairly) similar language (sort of LOL), but culturally we are made up quite different, we have some similar and vast different immigration issues etc etc

I would rather our polititions be paid a good wicket so that we encourage intelligent people into politics rather than people who seemingly talk well but are quite obtuse when it comes to running a country and understanding people. I want people who can see that the big picture is made up of small details

*This doesn't mean I do/don't support our current PM - it's the office of PM I refer to.

TeamAwesome is offline No one's perfect, but everyone can be awesome.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm still amused peter slipper is now the speaker, good thing he can't talk he talks like mr bean and makes even less sense.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Mind you, under our constitution, Obama could immigrate to Oz, become naturalised and run for PM - so if he's not happy with his meagre wage he has optitions...

12. The Following User Says Thank You to WorkingClassMum For This Useful Post:

TheMadHatter  (03-12-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    It's not a job that I would want to do, and I respect the leader of our country enough to be glad she gets paid a wage she deserves for the difficult job she does. However, as a Victorian nurse (and I realise federal government doesn't have a lot of say in this) at the moment going through EBA negotiations....not the best time for pollies to be getting such a large % increase. It's a shame the pollies don't respect me as much as I respect them