+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Azurial View Post
    OCCUPY OCCUPY OCCUPY!!!!

We are about to go into a worse financial crisis than '08... and I thought all these public spending cuts were to see our economy through that? Far out... Its complete and utter thievery!!! but how do we stop them? all parties are just the same....
    I kinda agree with you. I think we will hit a recession so bad we won't know what hit us.
    It's sick the amount they are getting. Did you know that one government department is is getting a million dollar over haul of their air conditioning in the offices. They have air con they just want a better one. Meanwhile 2/3 of public school kids have no air con at all.
    They cut ambulances also or are about to anyway.
    But like every other country we are also corrupt.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    They didn't give themselves a payrise. The Remuneration Tribunal did. They are an independant body.

While I agree that police, teachers, nurses etc should be paid more, that is determined by state governments, not the federal government.

BTW the PM is paid HALF that of the Australian Cricket Captain.
    Last edited by sunnymummy; 01-12-2011 at 20:38. Reason: typo

3. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to sunnymummy For This Useful Post:

Ana Gram  (01-12-2011),Jakois  (02-12-2011),lambjam  (03-12-2011),Maybelline  (03-12-2011),WorkingClassMum  (02-12-2011),wrena  (01-12-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by sunnymummy View Post
    They didn't give themselves a payrise. The Remuneration Tribunal did. They are an independent body.
    And I bet they have NO pressure from the government what so ever...

5. The Following User Says Thank You to MoonGecko For This Useful Post:

Deserama  (02-12-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Thanks for the info guys, yeah it does stink that teachers, nurses etc have to fight for a penny more and I guess Obama does have more to look after in comparison. It just seemed like the media was saying it in a way that a female was getting more than a male, in a similar role.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by singa06 View Post
    Thanks for the info guys, yeah it does stink that teachers, nurses etc have to fight for a penny more and I guess Obama does have more to look after in comparison. It just seemed like the media was saying it in a way that a female was getting more than a male, in a similar role.
    Of course the media would put a positive spin on it.... they are owned by the people who actually own the government.....

Ana Gram is offline 2008 WINNER - straight shooter award
    Winner 2008 & 2009 - Community Minded thread
    Winner 2009 - Mod Award - most passionate member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sunnymummy View Post
    They didn't give themselves a payrise. The Remuneration Tribunal did. They are an independant body.

While I agree that police, teachers, nurses etc should be paid more, that is determined by state govenments, not the federal govenment.

BTW the PM is paid HALF that of the Australian Cricket Captain.
    Wasn't there also talk that the payrise replaces perks?

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Ana Gram For This Useful Post:

WorkingClassMum  (02-12-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ana Gram View Post
    Wasn't there also talk that the payrise replaces perks?
    From what I understand they will begin phasing out the travel 'gold cards' ie- not take them off existing holders but not give them to new members and possibly restrict their current usage.

And someone else mentioned police/nurses etc are governed by state govt not federal so it's different it is, but looking at it as a whole, this is what irks me personally

Thanks
    Reviews
    I wouldn't want her job, or any politicians for that matter, for such a low wage when you consider the amount of stress and scrutiny they are under.

Politicians could make triple their wage out in the commercial sector but choose not to do so generally for alturistic reasons (or at least the majority enter politics for this reason)
    Last edited by MsTruth; 01-12-2011 at 23:47.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to MsTruth For This Useful Post:

wrena  (02-12-2011)

Mod-pegasus is offline ADMINISTRATOR
    and all that the Lorax left here in this mess was a small pile of rocks with the one word...UNLESS
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I agree it's nothing to do with gender. Australia is a lot smaller economically, politically and population wise than America. The exchange rate between the US and Oz these days is negligible - it's fluttering around dollar for dollar.

As for the perks. Apparently everytime a pollie gets elected they currently get a round the world trip which is worth $30k. To earn enough to have the cash to pay for that trip - they'd have to earn $60k more as $30k (or round about) goes in tax. This is one of the things that is talked about being taken away. (Something I heard on Hack today )

London is offline “I think we're losing our sense of humor instead of being able to relax and laugh at ourselves" - Betty White
    Winner 2012 - BubHubber you'd like to meet IRL
    Winner 2012 - Best Avatar

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Couldnt pay me enough to be PM. Thats my brilliant input