View Poll Results: Is bread with dinner a sign of poverty?

Voters
70. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

2 2.86%
  • No

59 84.29%
  • Maybe

9 12.86%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
    AndrewTheEmu is offline Bubhub Ambassador - tongue in cheek
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pynk View Post
    My dad has always had toast with dinner. He was brought up doing it and still does at 60. He was brought up with a maid and a nanny and now has around $2 mil of assets so I wouldn't say its a sign of poverty just that everyone has their own ideas

Sent from my HUAWEI SONIC using BubHub
    I don't think previous poster ment that 'if you eat bread with dinner you are poor'

I wouldn't be surprised if it originated in the dark ages because there wasn't enough other good food and it was a habit/ritual passed down through the generations.

I also know it can be a religious thing and also a cultural thing 'breaking bread' and I have Italian relatives who eat bread with almost every meal.

Mrs Molly Coddle is offline I've admitted in writing that veve is awesome - eeek she has proof!!!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    We often had bread with dinner growing up. Dad is English and he has bread with heaps of butter. I would love to have bread at dinner time, but I eat enough of it during the day! I love bread yum yum

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    i think it depends, having a roll/garlic bread etc at the begining of a meal isnt considered a sign of poverty. but having cheap $1 supermarket bread with cheap marg at the end of a meal to fill up cause there wasnt much for dinner (reminds of my mother in law)... maybe not a sign of poverty but maybe not enough food to go around atm.

i do think resturants give you bread to fill you up so they can serve smal portions and you still feel full!!!!

bunkx is offline Being happy doesn't mean that everything is perfect. It means that you've decided to look beyond the imperfections
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I serve bread with dinner depending on what we are having eg soup, casserole or big breakfast dinner
    Or any pasta dish I do garlic bread, I make all my own bread though.

Thanks
    Reviews
    It was always on the table at both sets of my grandparents. Along with the sauce bottle, salt and pepper and vinegar and the plastic table cloth. It always went on right along with the knives and forks. May be more old fashioned than anything else.

Savingfishfromdrowning is offline If you can't change your fate, change your attitude
    Thanks
    Reviews
    I think way back when people did this to fill up because dinner was insubstantial, but I imagine it's no longer the case these days. I wouldn't do it, not because it makes us look poor but because it would encourage over-eating, and empty carbs at that.

I dislike any meal situation where there is food just sitting on the table to help yourself, I think it encourages eating more than you would if you had to get up to get more.

ETA we don't have whilte bread in our house anyway. I'm diabetic and it's too high GI for me, and the low GI breads are too expensive to just eat willy-nilly lol!
    Last edited by Savingfishfromdrowning; 15-02-2012 at 16:02.