View Poll Results: Is bread with dinner a sign of poverty?

Voters
70. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

2 2.86%
  • No

59 84.29%
  • Maybe

9 12.86%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Berrie View Post
    What sort of bread costs $24 a loaf? The most expensive bread I've seen is the $6 a loaf gluten free bread.
    (not being snarky, genuinely curious )
    I was talking at time I wrote that. What I meant to put was nearly $12 a loaf, but we buy it by the half loaf. Although I must admit each slice is 2/3 the size of brumbies loaf bread so she needs 1.5 sandwiches to have the same quantity as a sandwich made with brumbies bread. But no I wrote it wrong. The child was chasing the dog, the dog was trying to eat the cat, and the cat was oblivious to it so at risk of being eaten.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to share a book For This Useful Post:

Lemonhead  (01-12-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Well depending on what i cook i love a piece of fresh bread with dinner. My fab is roast potatos with bbq sauce on bread. How i would love one right now

Sent from my GT-I9000T using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    I wouldn't think so.

It MIGHT be, but it could equally just be a family that likes bread.

I love bread. There was a time a while ago when I served just a slice of buttered white or grain bread with a lot of our dinners. We all like bread here (me not anymore... too filling).

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by share a book View Post
    I was talking at time I wrote that. What I meant to put was nearly $12 a loaf, but we buy it by the half loaf. Although I must admit each slice is 2/3 the size of brumbies loaf bread so she needs 1.5 sandwiches to have the same quantity as a sandwich made with brumbies bread. But no I wrote it wrong. The child was chasing the dog, the dog was trying to eat the cat, and the cat was oblivious to it so at risk of being eaten.
    Hi ho he Derry oh the farmer takes a
    Wife

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Hannahly For This Useful Post:

share a book  (04-12-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    What about dinner rolls? I used to date a guy who always had dinner rolls with his dinner. Thats what they're made for..

Home, where my life lies waiting, silently, for me.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ana Gram View Post
    No. Bread is a sign of delicious.

Zombie_eyes is offline Formerly Diamondeyes
    Winner 2012 - Biggest Computer Nerd
    Winner 2013/14 - Funniest Member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Maybe, i dont know, it used to be the norm for me growing up. We always had bread with dinner, we would make a sandwhich with our dinner, so it would fill us up more as there wasnt heaps to go around.

Mod-pegasus is offline ADMINISTRATOR
    and all that the Lorax left here in this mess was a small pile of rocks with the one word...UNLESS
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I always thought it was a sign you or your parents grew up in the UK and assumed it was a tradition that people from the UK had bread with their meals.

When I cook dinner - I try to have all food groups (carbohydrate as potatoes, or pasta or whatever) so never wanted to have bread with meals as it's an unwanted carb on my plate. My DH frequently wants to have bread with his meals, but I try to discourage it as I almost feel like it's an insult to the fact that I've made a balanced meal and the kids always follow suit to copy dad. I especially hate it if I haven't made school lunches and I end up with 3 pieces of bread left or whatever to make 2 lunches.
    ETA: sorry - meant to say - I vote - nothing to do with poverty in my opinion.
    Last edited by Mod-pegasus; 02-12-2011 at 00:57.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Mod-pegasus For This Useful Post:

me+he=3  (02-12-2011)

Witwicky is offline A closed mouth gathers no foot.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Hmm I know i'm eating at a fancy restaurant if they bring complimentary bread out to the table At home, we have bread with a lot of meals - usually Turkish or ciabatta, drizzled with olive oil. I believe it's common practice in many countries around the world I don't associate it with poverty.

Zombie_eyes is offline Formerly Diamondeyes
    Winner 2012 - Biggest Computer Nerd
    Winner 2013/14 - Funniest Member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Yeh ill add im italian, and going to my nonnas for big cook ups bread was always served, italian bread tho not white slice, and yup served with pasta, lasagne etc, people would soak up theleft over sauce with it and gobble it down.

Culture.

But also my family back in italy were extremely poor. So maybe it is?

I do find it odd that a grown person isnt allowed to make the decision of having/wanting bread with dinner...

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Zombie_eyes For This Useful Post:

SassyMummy  (02-12-2011),share a book  (04-12-2011)