View Poll Results: Is bread with dinner a sign of poverty?

Voters
70. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

2 2.86%
  • No

59 84.29%
  • Maybe

9 12.86%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    DH's parents always have a loaf of bread and container of butter on the table at dinner time regardless of whats being served.

i think they do it out if habit. DD1 thinks its great and always asks me for bread with dinner at hone but i tell her no unless im having a cant be bothered night

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    No I don't think so.

DH will usually pick up a tiger loaf or pane de casa on the way home about 3-4 times a week for us to have with dinner and if we have lasagne, spag bol etc I make a garlic bread. If we are having something like lamb shanks and have no bread we will just have some slices of normal white buttered bread.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Not in this household. We have it with casseroles spaghetti ( the garlicvariety) soups or anything with gravy.

Can't say my hips like it though!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    FIL has to have bread with every meal!! His family definitely lived in poverty and my DH tells me that's why he does it. I will cook the biggest nicest meal for him with enough to serve him 3rds if he wants but will always just fill up on bread as he eats his first meal. DH has tried to get him to stop it as he is extremely obese but just he just won't. Also it's just the cheapest white bread you can buy.

Thanks
    Reviews
    No, I don't think it is..

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Ana Gram View Post
    No. Bread is a sign of delicious.
    I second that!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    The bread in this house in nearly $12 for a half loaf lol not really a sign of poverty although we only tend to have it with soup or pasts, othdr than that it's as toast with breakfast or made into a sandwich for lunch.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by share a book View Post
    The bread in this house in nearly $12 for a half loaf lol not really a sign of poverty although we only tend to have it with soup or pasts, othdr than that it's as toast with breakfast or made into a sandwich for lunch.
    What sort of bread costs $24 a loaf? The most expensive bread I've seen is the $6 a loaf gluten free bread.
    (not being snarky, genuinely curious )

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Nope. We have a cob or a "fancy" bread with dinner all the time! It's a must with a roast veggies to soak up all the delicious gravy and worcestershire sauce. Mmmm.

If we have forgotten the good stuff we use normal bread

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    I wouldn't say it was a sign of poverty, although I do admit that when we are low on $$ I will bulk a meal up with garlic bread